Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, GSCO
Hunted
Saskatchewan, South Africa, Zimbabwe, 30 US states and counting
This is of course the great quote of Jack Atcheson, Sr who booked hunts for so many clients over the years. I recently turned the page into my 50's and I'm thinking about that statement more and more. I have not focused enough on the sheep and goats and of course, some of them are now priced out of sight for many people. However, I could skip a year in Africa and do mountain goat, brown bear or some goats in Europe or Asia. I'm seriously thinking about which hunts are physically daunting and need to move up on my list while I have good health.

What does that quote stir up for you? Any plans you've been wanting to make but have put off for too long?

I'm 67 and found myself getting winded in the 4,000+ ft altitude of the Karoo near Cradock. It re-emphasized my need to exercise more and use my inhaler if needed.

I may have put my first safari off but I plan to make up for it.

This is of course the great quote of Jack Atcheson, Sr who booked hunts for so many clients over the years. I recently turned the page into my 50's and I'm thinking about that statement more and more. I have not focused enough on the sheep and goats and of course, some of them are now priced out of sight for many people. However, I could skip a year in Africa and do mountain goat, brown bear or some goats in Europe or Asia. I'm seriously thinking about which hunts are physically daunting and need to move up on my list while I have good health.

What does that quote stir up for you? Any plans you've been wanting to make but have put off for too long?
I am in agreement, perhaps prioritize which hunts you will do first by level of difficulty and one’s age and fitness level. I went on a BC mountain goat hunt at 53 and Bob Marshal Wilderness elk at 54 and both were extremely physically demanding, even though I trained, I felt like I should have trained for a triathlon afterward! Not saying Africa is easier, sounds like an elephant hunt can be pretty physically demanding too! In general though, climbing a mountain for mountain goat and sheep ain’t for the old!

My back blew out at 34 to the point of walking with a cane. After I recovered I took the YOLO approach. Brown Bear in Sitka, Black Bears in the mountains if Idaho, and South African Safari...plus travel to do some colluding in Russia before all the current stuff happened.

I have two relatives that can't hunt the elk hills anymore, but still like their elk dinners. So, I hunt the cow elk depredation hunts and collect two of 'em each season. They split one of the elk and all the costs, and I get to hunt more elk.

There are two young whippersnappers tagging along with me this upcoming season to learn the ropes, and perhaps in a season or two they'll be providing us old farts with our regular Sunday elk roast dinners.

I’m 65 and am fortunate I weigh what I did playing college football and I stay in great shape year round. However…I also realize father time will get us all so I spend my money half on retirement and half on hunting Africa knowing the day will come when I cannot walk 10-20 miles a day hunting elephant

Actually this thought/statement has had a big impact on how I am planning my hunts. I'm 39, so hopefully still got some years in the mountains but it does worry me quite a bit, that one day I won't be able to train and hunt in the mountains.

I hunted Chamois in the Italian Alps last year partly because of having the age limitation on my radar. I turned 50 last year. I also did an Ibex hunt in Spain but honestly it wasnt too physically demanding.

I too have been thinking that mountain hunts must be sooner rather than later, as they will likely be off the table before others. Aging does help me prioritize but its not the only factor. Cheers

Boddington (in his early 70’s) recently said he might have just finished his last big bear hunt…and his days in the mountains are numbered. Stuff like that makes you think…what can I get done in the next 20 years?

I hunted Chamois in the Italian Alps last year partly because of having the age limitation on my radar. I turned 50 last year. I also did an Ibex hunt in Spain but honestly it wasnt too physically demanding.

I too have been thinking that mountain hunts must be sooner rather than later, as they will likely be off the table before others. Aging does help me prioritize but its not the only factor. Cheers

Chamois and ibex are on my mind. Can you share more in this thread about the physical level of difficulty on those hunts? I can walk and walk after eland or ele but the mountains make me wonder. A lot of it is mental as well. I’ve got a good mental game. I don’t quit.

Chamois and ibex are on my mind. Can you share more in this thread about the physical level of difficulty on those hunts? I can walk and walk after eland or ele but the mountains make me wonder. A lot of it is mental as well. I’ve got a good mental game. I don’t quit.

You can do it. Europe is interesting since to a certain extent they make it easier or harder depending on their client.

I’ll be 68 later this year. I had a knee replaced in January. Also, I have residual tremors from a previous illness, which doesn’t help my shooting. My wife has health issues. On the plus side, I did drop about sixty pounds in 2021 and have kept it off.
I realized long ago, my days of mountain hunting are over. Africa, birds and deer are my hunting future.

I’ll be 68 later this year. I had a knee replaced in January. Also, I have residual tremors from a previous illness, which doesn’t help my shooting. My wife has health issues. On the plus side, I did drop about sixty pounds in 2021 and have kept it off.
I realized long ago, my days of mountain hunting are over. Africa, birds and deer are my hunting future.
Good for you to keep going while knowing your limits. There are only so many climbs in any of us.

I did my first alpine hunt at age 53 - hunting chamois and thar in New Zealand and did three more alpine hunts for those same species with the last at age 60. I prioritised alpine hunting over going to Africa on the basis that younger legs are needed in the mountains and Africa would wait a while. The decision was reinforced by the physical fitness of people I knew who had hunted in Africa. If they could do it then pretty much anyone could.

I was right, Africa hunting is easy compared to alpine hunting in NZ where you carry all gear and food in and walk up hill and down dale all day. I have two Africa trips under my belt and a third coming up in August this year.

My advice is to do the harder stuff when younger. Africa will be there when you are older. Unless of course you have heaps of time and lots of money, which most of us don’t. Good hunting !

I am 51 and in pretty good shape. I exercise daily, mainly because I want to be able to hunt as hard as possible when the opportunity comes up. I have spent time in the mountains for dall sheep in 2021and it was difficult but I managed without any issues. I do have some knee issue left over from playing sports when I was younger but I find that they hurt less the more active I am, as long as I am sensible about it. I hope to hunt a mountain goat and mountain lion in the near future. Any other sheep will have to be if I draw a tag. I am just not willing to pay that kind of money for a sheep hunt without drawing a tag. I am gonna keep on keeping on as long as I am able and hopefully when I am no longer physically able I will have accumulated enough memories to enjoy the rest of my life.

I think at 61, I'm in better shape than many 30 year olds. What worries me is my eyesight, as I've seen more shooters and hunters give up their love of of these activities because of eye problems than most other physical limitations combined.

Time gets everyone. Dad and I hunted our last DIY elk hunt last fall. He said at 78 it was over in the mountains. 47 years of elk hunting carries a lot of memories for us. This spring he got hooked on Africa. My son and I were watching YouTube hunting videos and we watched one that had a “in memory of” section. It showed a bunch of folks that had died hunting dangerous game. After the rolling screen gave tribute complete with pictures my son looks over and says “see we have nothing to fear. Everyone of those guys were overweight and gray headed”. I agree you need to do it while you can.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
loxseb

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?