GMA 500 Jeff action

Grumpy the case would never be forced into the chamber, or be offset by anything close to .032". Once in the chamber the cartridge is held centered by the throat of the chamber.

There is a clearance around the back end of the cartridge, that is determined by SAAMI or in your case I believe CIP specs for the chamber dimensions and the case dimensions. It would also be how tight or loose the gunsmith or barrel maker cut the chamber. That is all that would affect case expansion and hence case life. But once the extractor captures the case head (in controlled round feed) with the aid of the feed ramps and the chamber the round would be centered.

As I said I have never tried the taper shim concept but just suggested it as a Possible method, it may or may not work. I have used the washer method to reduce a standard Mauser bolt face to 7.62X39 dimensions. The Washer can create both extraction and ejection problems, and that is why I suggested the tapered shim as a possible way to bypass those.

But for sure building up the bolt face with a TIG welder the machining to proper dia. and reheat treating is the best method.

Ontario I would never suggest you don't know anything about elk hunting but I don't think you understand the areas I'm talking about. They are all over Colorado, and are often called "Bowls" they drop steep in elevation with usually just one very rough two track into them, that trip in can be several miles.. They are large with their own unique terrain. They tend to be covered with black timber.

Your legs may very well carry you down into them, as again the trip in, is down hill........ but how are those legs going to carry you, and most important your downed elk out?

Grumpy the case would never be forced into the chamber, or be offset by anything close to .032". Once in the chamber the cartridge is held centered by the throat of the chamber.

There is a clearance around the back end of the cartridge, that is determined by SAAMI or in your case I believe CIP specs for the chamber dimensions and the case dimensions. It would also be how tight or loose the gunsmith or barrel maker cut the chamber. That is all that would affect case expansion and hence case life. But once the extractor captures the case head (in controlled round feed) with the aid of the feed ramps and the chamber the round would be centered.

As I said I have never tried the taper shim concept but just suggested it as a Possible method, it may or may not work. I have used the washer method to reduce a standard Mauser bolt face to 7.62X39 dimensions. The Washer can create both extraction and ejection problems, and that is why I suggested the tapered shim as a possible way to bypass those.

But for sure building up the bolt face with a TIG welder the machining to proper dia. and reheat treating is the best method.

Ontario I would never suggest you don't know anything about elk hunting but I don't think you understand the areas I'm talking about. They are all over Colorado, and are often called "Bowls" they drop steep in elevation with usually just one very rough two track into them, that trip in can be several miles.. They are large with their own unique terrain. They tend to be covered with black timber.

Your legs may very well carry you down into them, as again the trip in, is down hill........ but how are those legs going to carry you, and most important your downed elk out?
I shot this bull
1980 bull.JPG

just over the top of this ridge back in 1980.
20221127_115538.jpg

Ii pulled it down to the valley by myself.
20221127_133509.jpg

Intention was to get him down to where my horses could be loaded. One thing led to another and, though it took all day, I eventually brought the bull out whole. If I couldn't drive to them or get at them with horses, I usually passed taking a shot. A couple had to come out in quarters on WWII military pack board. I won't tear up the country chasing elk. I've been leave no trace long before there was such a thing.

So, I'm confused is it your legs that get the elk out, or is it the horses? Thought you said "Your" legs in the last post.

But congratulations nice bull, getting an elk out Whole in rough country is quite a feat even with horses, almost unbelievable.

We don't shoot the elk from the truck here we all pack it to the truck on frames, but not in quarters anymore now by "boning". A lot of hunters here also do the gutless thing as recommended by our CPW.

The two tracks do not "tear up the country" a bit of an insulting comment. The two tracks are sanctioned here by our USFS, BLM, and CPW, as access methods.

So, I'm confused is it your legs that get the elk out, or is it the horses? Thought you said "Your" legs in the last post.

But congratulations nice bull, getting an elk out Whole in rough country is quite a feat even with horses, almost unbelievable.

We don't shoot the elk from the truck here we all pack it to the truck on frames, but not in quarters anymore now by "boning". A lot of hunters here also do the gutless thing as recommended by our CPW.

The two tracks do not "tear up the country" a bit of an insulting comment. The two tracks are sanctioned here by our USFS, BLM, and CPW, as access methods.
No vehicles in designated wilderness areas so a camp twenty-two miles in went on horses. I never hunted from horseback. Never. My legs have always done the hunting. I haven't had horses since early nineties. Not sure what "two tracks" are. I thought we were talking about the usefulness or lack thereof of Power Wagons?

What is the difference between boning an elk and gutless method?

"Two Tracks" is a generic term for 4X4 roads that is used in Colo. And Wyo. Probably other states also. Many people would say 4 wheel drive roads instead. The terms comes (I would guess) from our prairie 4x4 roads where the tires tracks leave or wear two trails or paths with the veg, left in the center. Happens in the mountains less, that the veg. is left in the center but the term is used there also.

In short it is a local term for 4X4 rough roads regardless if there is a center row of veg. left between the two tire paths

Below is the description of "No Gut" and De-boning from the CPW web site. I have never done the No-Gut but often De-Bone. No Gut is becoming more common here. The rib cage neck and if a cow or doe the head is left in the field with the guts in the carcass.

I would also take the better parts of the neck meat, but not everyone does.

In Colo you must remove "All edible" portions of meat and leave nothing to waste. "Edible Portions" is not well defined and probably open to debate.

However you must take care to leave evidence of sex ATTACHED to a MAJOR PORTION of the meat. A detached head with or without antlers is NOT considered evidence of sex in Colo.

I have asked Game Wardens what or how big a " MAJOR PORTION" of meat would be to have the evidence of sex attached to, and have received all sorts of answers and distances between their two hands. When I did my own hand distance size with a Game Warden this year and asked "is this big enough"? I got the answer "Works for me" ! I then said does it work for every Game Warden? He said "it should.......might.......probably would" ?!?!?!?!

From the CPW web site

No-Gutting​

This process is very similar to the previous method but eliminates getting on the inside of the animal. Orient the animal on its stomach, then open the skin along the spine, then skin down both sides of the rib cage. Once the hide is removed, you have access to the loins and can remove them and place them in a clean locations. Continue with the skinning process until you get to the upper quarters, then remove each of them. If you want to remove the tenderloins at this time, cut from the last rib back toward the rear quarters; now you have access to remove the tenderloins.

De-boning​

Depending on the weather, time of day, distance you need to pack out, etc., you may choose not to field dress the animal but de-bone it instead. You can use the major bones (leg, hip, and shoulder) to guide your knife as you make cuts to remove the meat from the bones. By doing this you can arrange the meat at home, or at your local butcher shop; they will be able to recognize what the cuts of meat are when packaging them.

Properly preparing the meat in the field takes time and should not be a rushed effort. There are times when speed is important due to an approaching storm or when its getting very late in the day and darkness is not far off. Taking the time to do it right, however, will allow you to carry just the edible meat and leave waste behind. De-boning reduces the weight needing to be carried!

I don’t know the gma action , I assume it is a Mauser clone, when I’ve opened up the bolt faces I usually aim for .004” play on the case rim, always worked doing that, never as sloppy as to need .032“ clearance which is nearly a millimetre, each to their own
gumpy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MargeneNie

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]