Giraffe Bone Knife Handles

Second knife from the kudu bone scales at the bottom of the above pic… followed the same idea as the previous.. just swapped out the mosaic pin for a different pattern and moved the handles back a wee bit (about 1/8”)… I think it looks a little more appealing and fits the hand just a tiny bit better…

Image1648339563.697966.jpg

I just got word yesterday that the cites certificate has been signed and the 4 leg bones are ready to box and ship so hope to have them here in the 6 weeks or so.

Awesome news!

2 things I have learned playing with bone this past few days…

1 - it makes beautiful handle material…I really like the way it looks…

2 - holy hell does it stink when grinding/shaping it! The only thing worse that I’ve worked with to date is buffalo horn… my shop reeks 2days later..ever after running the air cleaner for hours after I finished…

Awesome news!

2 things I have learned playing with bone this past few days…

1 - it makes beautiful handle material…I really like the way it looks…

2 - holy hell does it stink when grinding/shaping it! The only thing worse that I’ve worked with to date is buffalo horn… my shop reeks 2days later..ever after running the air cleaner for hours after I finished…
This will be the third lot of four leg bones I have had.
I dont mind the smell at all or cant smell it as others do, likely as my sense of smell seems to be less efficient than others, but my wife can smell it on my clothes when I come in from the shed.
I use a lot of buffalo horn as most of my bolsters are horn so again I am either used to the smell or I dont notice it.

Interesting reading. I have no idea.

I am curious what 2 X 30" pieces of Giraffe shin bone would retail for.

There been talk of Camel bone but I guess Giraffe seems more exotic.
I wonder if the great mass over the front legs of a giraffe causes higher bone density in the front shins? I brought back the bones from a giraffe I shot, and hopefully someday I can use them in a knife.

This will be the third lot of four leg bones I have had.
I dont mind the smell at all or cant smell it as others do, likely as my sense of smell seems to be less efficient than others, but my wife can smell it on my clothes when I come in from the shed.
I use a lot of buffalo horn as most of my bolsters are horn so again I am either used to the smell or I dont notice it.
Maybe COVID? :=)

FWIW, here's how the top kudu bone scales turned out...

I still need to etch a makers mark on the blade... but overall I think they ground out really nicely.. I took them to 3000 grit and then hit them pretty hard with green buffing compound. that turned them smooth as glass.. with the stabilizing resin in them they have quite a bit of heft to them as well.. its a nice, sturdy knife..

View attachment 458920
View attachment 458921

I tried to go a bit "fancy" with this one using a mosaic pin in the rear as decoration, 8 micro pins of the same steel as the blade (D2), etc.. looking back I wish I had incorporated in a dark bolster (maybe buffalo horn?) and dropped all of the micro pins and just went with a pair of mosaics on the rear slab and a couple of small stainless pins on the bolster...

maybe next time... :)
Very nice.

I wonder if the great mass over the front legs of a giraffe causes higher bone density in the front shins? I brought back the bones from a giraffe I shot, and hopefully someday I can use them in a knife.
I would like to be able to compare the same size pieces of giraffe, elephant, rhino and hippo for weight which would indicate denseness and even being able to get some of those DG bone pieces would make for some unique knives. Imagine a collector set with one of each or a series using the DG bones

This is my @Von Gruff knife with scales of giraffe bone. They are not dyed. In the picture you cannot see it really, but there is some texture in it, some hues of yellowish white and white-white.

View attachment 458067

I'm extremely satisfied with this handle material. It feels very luxurious in my hand.
And Von Gruff knives... well for the quality versus price, there is no better custom knife you can purchase.
I have the PH EDC! Mine is identical to yours with some yellowing of the bone. Love it!

wonder if the great mass over the front legs of a giraffe causes higher bone density in the front shins? I brought back the bones from a giraffe I shot, and hopefully someday I can use them in a knife.
That's the exact reason why they make great handles as explained to me by the PH I had when I shot my giraffe and it was his recommendation to bring the shin bones back home with me.

I just got word yesterday that the cites certificate has been signed and the 4 leg bones are ready to box and ship so hope to have them here in the 6 weeks or so.

Please set a piece back for me.

Have got these handles all prepared for final checking of the inside faces to make sure they are perfectly flat and it will be a glue up for them all but with needing 2 clamps per knife will have to do that over 2 days.

20220329_161912.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NMBMaira26

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TAG SAFARI wrote on mvalden's profile.
Wishing you a Happy Birthday!
TAG SAFARI wrote on K31's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on davidg8480's profile.
TAG SAFARI wrote on Daven22s's profile.