Giant Croc Shot at Save

Screenshot_20220919-153128_Chrome.jpg

Gotta love a book entitled "Crocodiles and other Characters" by Tom Cole about the old days in Australia including commercial crocodile hunting. What is Germaine is that in buying and selling hides of saltwater crocs (in volume by the hundreds) it was rare as hens teeth to find one that actually measured 18 feet. And salt water crocs are supposed to be so much bigger than the nile variety. But when you get out a tape measure you find out just how rare the really big boys are.

And let's not forget how many Japanese soldiers were consumed by crocs in the mangrove swamps awaiting an evacuation during WWII. It doesn't take one all that big to eat YOU.

I've stood next to the concrete replica in Normanton I think it was on our way to a fishing expedition in Karumba about 7 years ago. It is said that the measurement replica the true size of the croc. It. is. massive!
@Zambezi
It is bloody huge. I wouldn't have liked to come across it while fishing.
Karumba is a great fishing spot and has amazing sunsets.
Bob

That is a big croc, no doubt. I think the picture with the 10 men behind it shows it’s true size. For some reason I find the size of alligators and crocodiles is easily manipulated with camera angles.

@Zambezi
It is bloody huge. I wouldn't have liked to come across it while fishing.
Karumba is a great fishing spot and has amazing sunsets.
Bob
I never saw any crocs during the day while fishing up and down the creeks but when the sun went down.. their eyes shone like a thousand fairy lights! Not the place to go for a midnight swim.

I never saw any crocs during the day while fishing up and down the creeks but when the sun went down.. their eyes shone like a thousand fairy lights! Not the place to go for a midnight swim.
@Zambezi
Where's your sense of adventure. A midnight skinny dip to cool off should be fine

I've crossed the Kafue river from the bank to an island with water up to my neck just to fish a nice deep pool. I've also swam pulling our boat in the Kafue just north of Mazabuka in Zambia but there was no way I was dipping a toe in those nocturnal waters! Even launching the boat I kept my eyes peeled.

With age comes wisdom. I did those remarkably silly things about 22-24 years ago. Back then hooking a tasty Kafue bream was very important. And when getting a boat back to civilization was important, especially when it was the boss's boat ;)

Biggest ones I’ve seen where at the bottom of Murchison falls and Lake Kariba. Used to take the house boats across to Matusadona. Saw some massive ones in there.
We used to stop in the middle for a swim in the cage. But after see some of those big fallas I gave it a miss.
Third biggest would have been on the Mara river. But not as big as the those first two places.

View attachment 490258
Makes this guy look so puny by comparison. And no, I won’t make any claims that it’s size is going to be winning any records.

Nice pic, is that a Mugger or Salt Water Croc ?

I doubt very very much that any Crocs in Australia were shot much over 20Ft, those stories are just that, we would see some monster skulls still about if so.

People way over estimate Crocs, it doesn't help with a lot of people posting photos of their Crocodile trophies with fictitious measurements along side them.

I have been in the Outback of Aussie in both the NT & North Qld for a long time & seen some huge Crocs, very few go over 15-16ft but I have seen some much bigger & one I think may well be a 20 footer, most of the monsters are in or near the ocean or near very large rivers going into the ocean .

I saw one on the wall of a Taxidermy in Sumatra that would of been very near 20ft, but in reality I have seen more huge Crocs in Africa & I believe the largest officially measured Crocs have been Nile Crocs, even though authorities say the Saltwater Crocodile is the longest & I'm sure that is correct ?

Even India had one of the largest Saltwater Crocs but again I don't think it was officially measured ?

I would have guessed way more than 15', good damn thing I'm not doing this for a living.
Wonder what Tim would have thought about this one?

If this picture is all it appears to be, then I can believe it was after Captain Hook (in Peter Pan)!! Egads, what an absolute monster. The one I saw in Kilombero was not that large....and sadly I read that Kilombero Tanzania is nothing like it once was when I was there; now cleaned out by poaching and agriculture...

If this picture is all it appears to be, then I can believe it was after Captain Hook (in Peter Pan)!! Egads, what an absolute monster. The one I saw in Kilombero was not that large....and sadly I read that Kilombero Tanzania is nothing like it once was when I was there; now cleaned out by poaching and agriculture...
@steve white.
It is all it is. It's not photo shoped in any way.
There's a lot a newspaper clipping of a croc walking across the road with a full pig in its mouth and it is longer than the road is wide so about 18 feet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulienneYe

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg