Ghost Ring sight for small Double Rifle

Hello io mskp,

One of my doubles is a German Stenda Werke in 8x57 cal from about 1913. It has a ghost ring rear site. The site is vertically adjustable via a pivot pin in the site, and windage adjustable via the mounting dovetail. As you can see by the target, it works well with my 65 year old eyes.

stenda2.jpg

stenda3.jpg

stenda4.jpg

stenda5.jpg

stenda6.jpg

stenda96.jpg

stentarg.jpg
What a lovely little rifle. And very nice shooting.
 
"Doesnt the standing leaf interfere with aiming through the peep?"

Not at all.
When using an aperture rear sight, the eye focuses on the target and front sight.
Since the line of sight is through the V notch in the standing leaf, the leaf is not seen.
Depends on the rear sight. A fine "V" notch can make it almost impossible to quickly acquire the front sight or you will find the eye centers it well above the notch causing the rifle to shoot high.
 
RedLeg,
Agreed on possible issues on the rear sight.

Fortunately, my express sights were made properly and the rear rib was too. Thus I have the express sights, a low mounted peep sight, and low mounted QD scope.
Given good light and close in game, I prefer the express sights, but have had situations when one of the other sights was needed and did the job.
 
Visierhilfe.JPG


Visor aid for "elder statesmen" ;) .
The optician has polished a lens, a precision mechanic has set it.
You are clearly faster than with diopter.
IMG_4280.JPG
 
Have you tried a ghost ring?
.

the drilling (9,3x72 R ! ) belonged to a friend of mine, as a gunsmith he had (unfortunately passed away ) all possibilities and he did not want to "desecrate" this weapon with aimpoint or other dots.

I have not shot with it, but aim acquisition with it often enough in hands had. No comparison with a diopter. You are much faster with the method.
If you like to shoot open sight, I would recommend @ vette447 from the other thread to think about it.
Would be a sad about the Rigby double if something thick would be on it.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,413
Messages
1,575,387
Members
170,305
Latest member
JessieKopp
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top