Furthest, Flattest Shooting Double Rifle Caliber?

I don't expect DG hunting to be at greater than 50yds - 100yrds but likely less.

My question was directed towards PG and the need to reach out further.

On game I've shot my 450NE out to 100 yards...
On Steel with the 200 yard leaf out to 200 yards...
The more important question why make a double into something it is not

One of the best DG double rifles for hunting PG would be the 500/416. It's ballistically the 416 Rigby in a double rifle. Just sold mine here last week. It was sold in a few hours. They are an excellent answer to your question, if scoped.

One of the best DG double rifles for hunting PG would be the 500/416. It's ballistically the 416 Rigby in a double rifle. Just sold mine here last week. It was sold in a few hours. They are an excellent answer to your question, if scoped.
I really should of mentioned... "Already have a dedicated DG double" so try to think of something that is "dedicated PG double", I'm starting to lean more towards the .30 R Blaser (7.62×68mmR).

Yes that totally changes the question. What is the budget? That will answer the rest of the question.

I really should of mentioned... "Already have a dedicated DG double" so try to think of something that is "dedicated PG double", I'm starting to lean more towards the .30 R Blaser (7.62×68mmR).
This post clears things up.

Best choice would and an O/U double for sure. Caliber will depend on what is available to you, but 30 Blaser would be a good choice.

This post clears things up.

Best choice would and an O/U double for sure. Caliber will depend on what is available to you, but 30 Blaser would be a good choice.
Assume I already hand load for the Dedicated DG double and am "ready" to hand load for the Dedicated PG double thus no intention to rely on (being restricted to) factory ammo.

Something else to consider.

I like to bring a pair of guns that are able to fill each other's rolls. If I'm doing PG and DG then both my guns will be usable for DG. Things happen... And I don't like borrowing guns. On my buffalo hunt I brought a 505 Gibbs and a 416 RM. The 416 was loaded with lighter higher velocity cartridges for PG but could easily pull double duty in a pinch.

An O/U scoped double in 375 flanged would make a fine PG rifle and be able pull double duty if something comes up.

If you have an unlimited budget you should reach out to one of the custom European gun makers. They can likely make a double rifle in most any caliber you could want. Since you’re not DG hunting with it, there’s no need for it to be a flanged case.

Below is a nice double that was available in 300WM. Ideal medicine for almost all PG and one of the Faster/Flatter Shooting commonly available calibers.

If you want fast and flat in a caliber that often punches outside its weight class something like the .257 Weatherby would be cool. I suspect regulating it would be a challenge though.

Something else to consider.

I like to bring a pair of guns that are able to fill each other's rolls. If I'm doing PG and DG then both my guns will be usable for DG. Things happen... And I don't like borrowing guns. On my buffalo hunt I brought a 505 Gibbs and a 416 RM. The 416 was loaded with lighter higher velocity cartridges for PG but could easily pull double duty in a pinch.

An O/U scoped double in 375 flanged would make a fine PG rifle and be able pull double duty if something comes up.

Even though it is imo the perfect dbl rifle all round caliber I think the .375 Flgd might be a bit to slow for reaching out to accurate distances versus the .30R blaser just based off the top end projectile speed (using .300WM as the "standard" for 'Reach Out Rifle' data). The .30R Blaser & .300WM can be quite close if both firing a 11.7g @ 180gr (WM=3193ft/s vs 30R=3,100ft/s)

In saying this I am not trying to replicate a .300WM "stay under it but close to it", I have watched videos of safaris on YouTube and heard the PH say after the initial shot is made "Your bullet is too fast." whilst the client was using a .300WM.... But I'm talking about longer range here and in these specific scenarios the target animal has been within 50-100yrds.

As previously mentioned I understand the common sense behind having a "Light Big Bore" as the PG in case DG arrive (& vice versa for PG of Opportunity), but I'm not trying to use "that" common sense here more... "If you want the furthest accurate reach with a double rifle in the .300 bracket then I would say <X>."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Virgil Whitehead

Latest profile posts

3 Wake Ups and South Africa Bound!
SETH RINGER wrote on Altitude sickness's profile.
I'LL TAKE THE BOOKS IF THEY ARE NOT SOLD. NO ?? ASKED
Hififile324 wrote on Charliehorse's profile.
Hi Charles, thanks for your interest in the .375 Ammo, Components and dies. Feel free to call or text [redacted]. Email [redacted]
Kudu2025 wrote on stk's profile.
I will take that Sako .375 if it is still available