Free State Province

sjones42347

Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
I have booked a hunt for 2025 in the Free State Province, outside of Kimberley. Obviously very different terrain from when I hunted eatern cape, so does anyone have any feedback on that area? Also trying to decide on what to pursue. Definitely going after black wildebeest, but what other animals are native to that area?

Kimberley is in the Northern Cape Province.

Who are you hunting with ?

The Free State border is less than 10km outside of Kimberley. I grew up there. There are a lot more hunting farms and game in the area now than when I was at school there twenty years ago. Lots of beautiful hunting areas in the vicinity with a wide variety of game. I would say Red Hartebeest and Oryx are essential animals to take in that area. Lots of other species abound like Impala, Wildebeest, Warthog, Kudu, Eland, Springbuck and Blesbuck.

The Free State border is less than 10km outside of Kimberley. I grew up there. There are a lot more hunting farms and game in the area now than when I was at school there twenty years ago. Lots of beautiful hunting areas in the vicinity with a wide variety of game. I would say Red Hartebeest and Oryx are essential animals to take in that area. Lots of other species abound like Impala, Wildebeest, Warthog, Kudu, Eland, Springbuck and Blesbuck.
Good to know!! Black wildebeest is a definite on my list with oryx and red hartebeest being likely as well!

I returned from an 8 day hunt in the Free State with my wife last August. (I still need to gather my notes from my journal and write a report/review) It was an absolutely fantastic time filled with great animals and even better company! We really enjoyed the varied terrain. We hunted lower bush-veld type terrain and then even up to mountainous terrain along with plains all at the same location. Due to the variety, we really noticed how different each hunt felt and the species were plentiful and healthy. I plan on going back in 2027. Overall we loved spending our time there and will likely always go back for at least a few days when we return. We ended up harvesting the following:
2 Kudu
1 Nyala
1 Lechwe
1 Waterbuck
1 Mountain Reedbuck
1 Red Hartebeest
1 Black Wildebeest
1 Common Springbok
1 Warthog
IMG_6899.JPG
3c2e829d-bb93-4182-9349-35805df80bba.jpg
78b38062-e30e-4f07-a818-d7d596999500.jpg
5f1c74cd-062e-47ba-8cd2-d3ab6d27d73a.jpg
IMG_6926.JPG
IMG_6961.JPG
IMG_6960.JPG
IMG_6956.JPG
IMG_6921.JPG
IMG_6909.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_7052.JPG
    IMG_7052.JPG
    611.3 KB · Views: 23
I returned from an 8 day hunt in the Free State with my wife last August. (I still need to gather my notes from my journal and write a report/review) It was an absolutely fantastic time filled with great animals and even better company! We really enjoyed the varied terrain. We hunted lower bush-veld type terrain and then even up to mountainous terrain along with plains all at the same location. Due to the variety, we really noticed how different each hunt felt and the species were plentiful and healthy. I plan on going back in 2027. Overall we loved spending our time there and will likely always go back for at least a few days when we return. We ended up harvesting the following:
2 Kudu
1 Nyala
1 Lechwe
1 Waterbuck
1 Mountain Reedbuck
1 Red Hartebeest
1 Black Wildebeest
1 Common Springbok
1 Warthog
View attachment 614917View attachment 614918View attachment 614919View attachment 614920View attachment 614921View attachment 614922View attachment 614923View attachment 614924View attachment 614925View attachment 614927
Thats awesome and beautiful animals!! What part of the free state were you hunting?

I hunted Free State just S/SE of Boshof, approx. 15-30 miles, back in 2021. Nice experience, good trophies. I’d recommend some of the following:
Springbuck, Black Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Gemsbuck. Always plan on being opportunistic for “whatever the bush gives you”. I learned that lesson the hard way after my first safari. Here are my trophies from my Free State Safari that was unexpectedly cut short:
cdfd0a15-5e07-4bc9-8a32-404e7470f6fb.jpeg

All were fine trophies but the Sable, Mt. Reedbuck and one warthog made RW.

Blesbok and Serval are abundant and Blesbok grow big there as do Black wildebeest. They would be my top 3 animals from the Free State.

Bird hunting is also a big draw in the Free State. Doves and Pigeons.

Reactions: RLL
I hunted Free State just S/SE of Boshof, approx. 15-30 miles, back in 2021. Nice experience, good trophies. I’d recommend some of the following:
Springbuck, Black Wildebeest, Red Hartebeest, Gemsbuck. Always plan on being opportunistic for “whatever the bush gives you”. I learned that lesson the hard way after my first safari. Here are my trophies from my Free State Safari that was unexpectedly cut short:
View attachment 615275
All were fine trophies but the Sable, Mt. Reedbuck and one warthog made RW.
Awesome animals! I do have black wildebeest on top of my list! Along with waterbuck

Blesbok and Serval are abundant and Blesbok grow big there as do Black wildebeest. They would be my top 3 animals from the Free State.
Blesbok and wildebeest are on the list for sure!! Hadn’t even considered a serval but I will now!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshleySayr

Latest profile posts

expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Total con artist! Bradley Joseph Clemens!
expoB wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Regarding Senga Senga. Brad Clemens. Do your research with him. He owes people money…took deposits, no hunt! Two words, for anyone who wants to hire him…..background check. His character shows and this character follows every aspect of his life. Not to be trusted at all!
Grandpa Moose wrote on Ontario Hunter's profile.
Thanks for the advice/help. Hope the kids get a good plug from my mis post. Rain like crazy here
swag05 wrote on Inline6's profile.
Is the Americas still available? Does it have wheels? I am interested
matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.