Free range Waterbuck in South Texas

Well shoot that only makes it a more tempting idea. I got way too many thoughts of where I would love to go after my Africa trip (although everyone I have talked to tells me the only place one wants to go after that is right back to Africa)..

TX hunting is great.... Lots to chose from.... Not as economical as Africa, but easier to get to. The Blue Bull (nilgai) is great... I suggest you hunt the legendary King Ranch. That's how they got here... And they will put you up & feed you good. Looking for other exotics... There are 100's of places... Some more legendary than others like the YO Ranch for Axis, etc.... Lots here. Just depends on what, when & how much! :)

After looking at the pricing for some of these animals I think that I'll just plan another safari over to South Africa and eat my fill of their meat over there and kill a number of animals for what a Texas ranch hunt charges for just one.

But then if you have that kind of money that these hunts in Texas cost then by all means go for it.

I know.... In several cases.. 1 animal = $5k+. I remember when I thought $1000 for a pronghorn was rape.... Now they are $3500. .Muley $2500... Now $5k, elk $7k, axis $3k.... It ain't getting no cheaper for this redneck sport!!!! It's like NASCAR tickets!!! They have 4x in 20 yrs.

Looks like a great waterbuck, congrats to the hunter

I know.... In several cases.. 1 animal = $5k+. I remember when I thought $1000 for a pronghorn was rape.... Now they are $3500. .Muley $2500... Now $5k, elk $7k, axis $3k.... It ain't getting no cheaper for this redneck sport!!!! It's like NASCAR tickets!!! They have 4x in 20 yrs.

You hit the nail on the head @BWH . I remember my dad going out west when I was much younger. Looking now at what I recall in the brochures from his outfitters , western hunting, indeed all north American hunting isn't getting any cheaper. It makes a lot of foreign destinations seem like a bargain, even after airfare.

Still, nowhere else can you hunt nilgai , alligators, muskox, and a whole boatload of other unique species. Alligator may be next after 2017.

Super waterbuck. Might not be indigenous to Texas, but sure sounds as good as a free range hunt in SA.

Several months ago the lone star outdoor news had an article about a guy that shot a damn nice Kudu while deer hunting in the hill country. Article said Fish and Game called all of the high fence ranches to see if they were missing a Kudu bull, they weren't so the ole boy shot him next time he came in. If that happened anywhere else a guy would be checking just what was really in his thermos he had been sipping on all mornin!lol

Yep.... In college we hunted some land that neighbored a livestock auction operation. One day a buddy was working on a his stand & a 6x6 elk came out. Yeah.... He shot him.

Yep.... In college we hunted some land that neighbored a livestock auction operation. One day a buddy was working on a his stand & a 6x6 elk came out. Yeah.... He shot him.
Were you just north of Huntsville? :whistle:

Yes sir.... 92-96. Wasn't me.... I didn't pull the trigger. :)

After looking at the pricing for some of these animals I think that I'll just plan another safari over to South Africa and eat my fill of their meat over there and kill a number of animals for what a Texas ranch hunt charges for just one.

But then if you have that kind of money that these hunts in Texas cost then by all means go for it.

The high cost hunting Elk and exotics in Texas is what started me looking at African safaris in the first place but if I ever find a good price for a mature Blackbuck I may have to make a road trip.

Lots of blackbuck especially around Brady to Llano to Eden area..... But just about every high fence game ranch place has them.

Almost every ranch offers blackbuck hunts it's the good price I can't find.

Were you just north of Huntsville? :whistle:
Don't know the folks that own the sale barn but looked at the elk and buffalo from the highway many a time.

I have axis and white-tail in my front yard all the time, if my back yard was not high-fenced to keep them out, they would be there too.

Where I hunt in South Texas, there is a wild warthog population, which is very free range, and TPWD wants them all dead.

If my plans fall in place, I'll be moving to TX next year for military training. I'd love to get a nice warthog for my collection, since they all escaped me on safari!

Last edited:
Splendid! Thanks for the intel

You might be able to get one "cheap" Just enter the Texas Drawn hunts, and you want the James Daughtrey WMA or Chaparral WMA. If drawn and you see one, its yours for about $50.

The warthogs are at the Chaparell WMA not the Daughtrey, unless they moved in past 6 months. Jack Brittingham imported the warthogs and his ranch borders the Chap. Since the new Tx draw system put in place 2 yes ago, better chance of winning the lottery than getting drwon at the Chap. I have 10 preference points and might never get in.

Yeah- I'd much rather hunt Africa than African animals in Texas but the drive sure is shorter than the 16 hr flight :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sunwinfreeapp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.