Free Booze and Food! January 11th 2024

Thank you @mdwest and your family for opening your home. Had a great time

Just now catching my breath after a pretty awesome Wed - Sun at DSC this year.. I apologize.. there have been a few folks reach out through PM, text messages, and emails.. I'll get responses out to everyone today.. between the party, the AH dinner, volunteering, and other DSC associated activities I stayed pretty busy this year (much busier than usual) and am only now getting a chance to catch up..

to close out this thread, I just wanted to throw one more huge THANK YOU out there to everyone that helped to pull the 2024 @Bos en Dal SAFARIS party off.. not only did we have some incredible door prizes donated by @Troubleshooter @Mark Biggerstaff @R&M FIREARMS @Bos en Dal SAFARIS @Anet/Insig @candlesforconservation several of you guys jumped in and started helping out once the crowd swelled doing everything from helping to keep drinks topped off to taking out trash to meeting/greeting people as they came through the door, to handing out door prize tickets, etc.. thats honestly what makes this community great (and kept me out of trouble with the wife! lol).. lots of wonderful people here willing to jump in and lend a hand, help each other out.. etc... you guys made the night memorable... THANK YOU for that..

Next year our plan (tentatively) is to host the party during the June DSC Gala... Im pretty sure we wont be going to Atlanta next year.. even if we do, it would be a challenge to get our house moved across the country in time :D .... but supposedly DSC plans on ramping up the gala next year to help compensate for the folks that wont make the trek to Atlanta and to keep an annual function in the central US thats easy for everyone to get to..

Several folks approached me about Candles For Conservation and about the limited edition signed/numbered prints that were donated by Anet Kruger at both the @Bos en Dal SAFARIS party and the AH dinner asking where they could order them for themselves... I'll post something separately here on AH in a bit that provides information, links, etc. CfC and Anets prints are both really good values (IMO) and have the potential to do a lot to promote conservation efforts in South Africa I believe.. (and, I actually really like the candles.. and absolutely LOVE anets artwork.. Anets work is featured in 2 different places in my home.. and we're working with her now on another commissioned original piece..)...

One last THANK YOU to everyone that attended.. we hope to see all of you again next year (plus maybe a few more!)..

Dave- incredible time and, like everyone else, I just wanted to send a huge thank you to you and your family for hosting the great party. It was nice to be able to put faces with screen names and meet new friends. I especially like the new nickname “the buffalo guy”, that I came away with- hahahaha! Looking forward to you guys coming up north…

reviving an old thread to say....

the next party we host.. you guys MUST do a better job at clearing out the house of food before you leave lol...

Its been 6 months.. and here I sit.. still eating those mini-beef wellingtons and mini-jack cakes for lunch lol....

while they are still every bit as delicious as they were in January... 6 months of having them once a week for lunch has gotten tiresome...

Im preparing doggie bags for every guest at the next party! :D

(the better idea would probably be to convince my wife not to buy 2000 beef wellingtons... 100lbs of shrimp... 2000 jack cakes.. etc..etc.. for a guest list of 65 people lol... but I know shes not going to listen next January either... so the rest of you must suffer with me! lol...)...

That’s hilarious! Ok, I’ll do my best to help

The big question is, with DSC moving when will there be a next time? You have years to finish up the leftovers!

Im guessing it will be a smaller event.. but we're already in planning mode to host a party during TTHA (same dates as DSC.. but TTHA will be doing their show in Dallas at Kay Bailey that time while DSC is running in Atlanta)... We've already got some good door prizes lined up again (they seem to get a little better, and theres a larger pile of them each year).. and the wife is already planning the menu, and getting some support from a chef at a nice hotel restaurant that she is friends with..

My guess is a lot of the "out of towners" wont come into town for TTHA.. but a few might.. and almost every DFW local I know as well as a handful of guys from the other larger TX cities have been pretty clear that theyre not traveling to Atlanta, but will instead attend TTHA since it will be close to home..

again, Im guessing a smaller crowd (I think we had about 65 come through the door last year?).. but Im betting it will still be big enough to have a good time (30-40 people?)... and there should be some really cool give aways.. and the food should be stellar (I thought it was great last year personally.. but apparently the wife is giving me the traditional PH speech... "no dave.. you can take that impala if you really want him... but we can do better..." lol...)...

Dang, I loved those Beef Wellingtons. I hope the food at Bos en Dal is as good as yours. We arrive there 12 weeks from today. It will be my husband's and Gerrit's birthdays .
By the time the DSC comes back to Dallas, it might just be time to schedule another trip.

Dang, I loved those Beef Wellingtons. I hope the food at Bos en Dal is as good as yours. We arrive there 12 weeks from today. It will be my husband's and Gerrit's birthdays .
By the time the DSC comes back to Dallas, it might just be time to schedule another trip.

We're just a little under 5 weeks from heading back over ourselves... it'll be the 3x mdwest hunters, plus @Goopy in camp while we're there.. we're all getting super excited about returning..

Elna (camp chef at Bos en Dal) will take exceptional care of you guys.. .you never leave the table hungry there.. she cooks for an army.. and her peppermint crisp is outrageously good (Im going to bet you have huge peppermint crisp portions served after the birthday meal is finished :) )...

We're just a little under 5 weeks from heading back over ourselves... it'll be the 3x mdwest hunters, plus @Goopy in camp while we're there.. we're all getting super excited about returning..

Elna (camp chef at Bos en Dal) will take exceptional care of you guys.. .you never leave the table hungry there.. she cooks for an army.. and her peppermint crisp is outrageously good (Im going to bet you have huge peppermint crisp portions served after the birthday meal is finished :) )...
I am looking forward to her Amarillo ice cream, myself. I will enjoy that good food. I have been pretty much sugar free since March. But I can now wear the same hunting clothes as our first trip and my knee and hip are improving.

Dave please keep me on the list for the next party. I'm definitely not going to Atlanta. Thanks!
absolutely will do!

once we get a little closer to January, and have a formal plan together (date/time/prizes/menu/etc) i'll make a post here on AH as well and make sure everyone knows about it..

despite not really being "people" people.. we truly do enjoy hosting the party each year.. its a great opportunity to get to know folks that frequent AH personally, share information about hunts, outfitters, etc.. compare notes on good deals at the show that are available, etc.. and just have a nice evening with a group of people that share the same interests, hobbies, passions, etc..

Im not sure yet, but a few folks have asked about whether or not we'll host something during the week that DSC does its summer gala next year (its a bit late to plan on something for 2024 (the gala is in 2 weeks)... my thoughts this year were that the gala is a much smaller event than the convention that doesnt really bring in many people from out of town.. and its in the middle of safari season.. so several people on AH would either be somewhere abroad hunting, or in the final prep phase prior to a hunt, etc.. so the party wouldnt get much traction..

there are more than enough DFW area locals on AH that honestly I think a DFW party would go over fine pretty much any time of year.. but.. it would be nice if we could bring in as many folks from out of town as possible at the same time... so we passed on the gala week this year..

I appreciate all you do to put together an event in your own home. That's a lot of work. One suggestion from attending last time, it would be great to have or bring some kind of name tag where we can connect the name to the AH handle.

If any of y'all are up for a real adventure, I could rent a Cantina and host one here in Colombia. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

We will try and make it next year, Dave. We are trying to get our schedule together now. Living here part of the year has once more made me a product of my environment. I am disorganized and fashionably late for everything. But then again, I have always been that guy on the team that goes native.

Safe travels

If any of y'all are up for a real adventure, I could rent a Cantina and host one here in Colombia. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

We will try and make it next year, Dave. We are trying to get our schedule together now. Living here part of the year has once more made me a product of my environment. I am disorganized and fashionably late for everything. But then again, I have always been that guy on the team that goes native.

Safe travels

That is taking the Latin culture to heart. My wife who was born in Venezuela, will be late to her own funeral. I'm extremely punctual (can't take the military out of me), her on the other hand, forget it. So, if the two of us are going somewhere, we are never on time, and it kills me LOL!!!!

I'd love to attend to meet face to face some of the AH legends. Leaving a day prior to my B-day is the hard part. I may start working on this now and see how it goes. :ROFLMAO:

Safe travels
YOU RENT IT, WE ARE IN IT!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NildaCresp

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]