FrankenLandy anyone?

Well, many in the US and Europe seem to be getting into retro mods--thus making quirky troublesome classics into reliable daily drivers. Not trying to give Kevin Peacock apoplexy by picking on Land Rovers exclusively, but has anyone LS swapped a vehicle in order to improve reliability? There are other swaps and other motors too numerous to list. Wouldn't be surprised to find some Cummins diesel swaps in our ranks, as well! What say ye?
@steve white
In Australia people fitted 186 and 202 cubic inch Holden motors to series 2 landys and had nothing but trouble snapping axles. At on stage people selling them included a spare set of axles. The drive train couldn't handle the extra power.
If you want

Back in the day in NZ more than half the Land Rovers had Holden 6 cylinders petrol engines fitted & I believe there was a Diesel Mercedes motor that would near bolt straight in ?

I always was thinking of fitting a vintage Land Rover body to a Land Cruiser to make a reliable hunting vehicle with the cool factor for guiding clients but had enough trouble keeping the Cruisers we had going without messing around more.

I think one of the other outfitters did indeed fit a Land Rover to a Hilux chassis ?
@Sarge
That's why God let us invent the Nissan Patrol. Drive trains built as strong as brick out houses and motors that you can't beat to death with a big stick.
Dang they even put a 6.2 Cummins diesel in the new patrols to make them even better.
Unfortunately they didn't import the 6.2s into AUS.
Buy a Nissan and lock, stomp and go.
Bob

The engine is a 1HZ - the last non-turbo, mechanically controlled, fuel injected 6 cylinder, in-line diesel engine that Toyota offered.

This engine gets about 24 - 26 MPG on he highway. It has AC, PS, Comms, etc.
View attachment 561753
@Nevada Mike
The last of the GOOD RELIABLE toyo engines. Easy to fix and reliable. Not real powerful but just kept going.
Problem is if you turbo them you MUST keep the turbo boost under 10psi or they start melting pistons and cracking crankshafts.
The NISSAN TD42 on the other hand is a different beast. No timing belt like the toyo, gear driven and can be turboed up to 30psi and screw the pump out to give more fuel for the boost without issue apart from increased fuel consumption. But man they went like shit out of a shanghai, and pulled like a horns teenager.
They Toyota has the comfort but the Nissan has the strength and reliability.
Bob

The 1HZ is a wonderful engine, but the 1HDT is just as dependable, but with a factory turbo and still non electronic.

My 2002 cruiser is still like new. At 200,000ks I removed the 1HZ and installed the 1HDT. I put the 1Hz into another cruiser that engine has accumulated 500,000 k s w was added. I believe that engine was easily go to 750,000. What no one mentions is the injector pump and injectors.
Pump rebuild $3,000.00 injectors $1,000.00 up. A 1HZ or 1HDT must have s full seervice every 5000 ks.

I have owned over 10 Landcruisers from 1982 to 2020. Will over a million Ks. In my opinion the 2-F was the best Landcruiser ever. Just add a five speed box and factory power steering. Which was available in Aus.

Lon
@Tokoloshe Safaris
The Nissan TD27 and TD42 are just as reliable. My Td27 turbo inter cooled has 350,000km and still ticking like new. A person I know retired his at 1,000,000km but still uses it on the farm. Walks out hits the key and starts right up.
You can keep these new fanged computer controlled common rail diesel.
Simple for use in the bush easy to fix engines for me.
Bob

In Australia a lot of Hilux vehicles were retrofitted with a 253 cubic inch Holden motor.
Reliable motor with parts available and plenty of power for a Hilux
@CBH Australia
Problem was with that conversion if you chose the wrong model Hilux they still only did 80 kmph with that V8 at 4,500rpm. All noise and no go.
You had to change the different out to a better ratio to get them to go properly plus the axles couldn't handle the strain so they had to be upgraded as well.
They looked good, sounded good but were still a pos. The seats are to close to the floor and no leg room. OK for little people but no use to big bastards like me.
Bob

For the cost of doing some of the major mods mentioned (swapping out engines for a diesel, etc)... wouldnt it be cheaper just to import the truck you want?

I have a hard time cost justifying spending a couple of thousand bucks to import, and then a couple of thousand bucks to ship something like a diesel hi-lux or even a well preserved Land Rover or Land Cruiser..

but.. if Im going to pay the same amount to swap out engines, transmissions, etc..etc.. why not just find the truck you want on your next trip over and work out a deal?
I cannot disagree with your comments. However, the fun is building it yourself. It’s kind of like Legos. When I was a kid, Legos came in a box of x amount of pieces. I could let my imagination soar.
The Legos I buy my kids now come in prepackaged boxes to make something someone else designed. No fun in that.
Just my two cents here.

Have Built several hot rods, stupid fast bikes, and rock crawling Jeeps. When you deviate from the stock configuration and add more power you MUST re-engineer all the supporting drivetrain or you are letting Mr Murphy have a big smile at your expense

Have Built several hot rods, stupid fast bikes, and rock crawling Jeeps. When you deviate from the stock configuration and add more power you MUST re-engineer all the supporting drivetrain or you are letting Mr Murphy have a big smile at your expense

Haha it is a snowball, you will find the weak link fast. I could break a chromoly Dana 60 front axle shaft on command in my Ram. I really like building things. Unfortunately anything Diesel seems to cost 3X of a gas burner.

Well, many in the US and Europe seem to be getting into retro mods--thus making quirky troublesome classics into reliable daily drivers. Not trying to give Kevin Peacock apoplexy by picking on Land Rovers exclusively, but has anyone LS swapped a vehicle in order to improve reliability? There are other swaps and other motors too numerous to list. Wouldn't be surprised to find some Cummins diesel swaps in our ranks, as well! What say ye?
I confess that Carruthers has a little 2.2L Nissan diesel engine coupled to the LR box. It is a 1960’s vibtage and has served me so well I haven’t had the heart to change it out to LR. I promised I would do so when it eventually died, but it is in prime condition.

Haha it is a snowball, you will find the weak link fast. I could break a chromoly Dana 60 front axle shaft on command in my Ram. I really like building things. Unfortunately anything Diesel seems to cost 3X of a gas burner.
... and lasts three times as long!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sara29R474

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]