Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Botswana, Canada, Argentina, US-MT, WA, IN, AR, CO, AL, OK
Hi all, I know many of you have extensive experience with a variety of shotguns and I wanted to seek some feedback. I'm wanting to get a new Over/Under shotgun in a 16 gauge for bird hunting and clays. I currently shoot an older Belgian made Browning A5 Sweet Sixteen but would like an O/U also. I like Beretta O/U's but they aren't making a 16 gauge in the Silver Pigeon so looking at other options. Browning has the low end Citori Hunter model in 16 gauge but I've also been looking at a Franchi Instinct O/U and wondering if anyone has any experience with Franchi's and what you think of them? I've never owned a Franchi shotgun of any kind but do have a couple of Benelli semi autos which I really like. I've looked at the Franchi's in 12 and 20 gauge and they seem lightweight and point nicely, but local gun store would have to order a 16 gauge or I see them on Gunbroker. Also any opinion on Rizzini or F.A.I.R o/u shotguns?

What opinions do you have about Franchi Instinct O?U's? Thanks

I have two friends who own Franchi shotguns but they are both semiautomatic. That said, they are incredibly durable weapons that use an inertia drive that comes from the Benelli SBE series. Both companies fall under the Beretta ownership umbrella.

I’ve handled their O/U shotguns but they did not fit me the way I preferred and that stopped any further research.

If they are anything like their semiautomatic, I’d say you are looking at something like a Beretta 686 with a few less features and not quite the same level of fit and finish. I’m not sure what means of lockup they are using so make sure you take a look at that.

Also, these will be a field shotgun and have an automatic safety. Meaning every time you open the action, the safety automatically engages and will need to be disengaged prior to taking a shot. I had this on my Beretta 686 and after a couple rounds of skeet had the proper muscle memory to reload, click off the safety and take a shot. Some people can’t stand this. It can be a polarizing feature.

I asked a friend of mine who owns a gun shop, one that specializes in Shotguns. They recommend Franchi as a good entry level. He said CZ makes a good entry level shotgun too. You can't go wrong with a Citori either.

The Franchi Instinct Sideplate model in 16 ga is everything you could ever want for the low 2k price tag, its worth having a look. Been using Franchi guns for may years, very good value for the money. For what its worth, they are very Beretta 686 like, all the way down to the barrel selector button on the safety. It is a Beretta holdings company after all.......

I’ve toyed with the Franchi 16 gauge idea for a while now too. My buddy has an Instinct in 20 gauge and it is LIGHT and points great. My only problem with pulling the trigger is I never seem to find a 16 gauge in person that is light with good wood. The wood is MEH on them, unfortunately, and really affects the weight too. I’ve held some side by side that were noticeably different weights. Plus, for $2,000, I think you should have a little figure in the wood.

I shoot a Franchi Instinct SL in 16 gauge almost exclusively during upland season. This will be my 3rd season with it and I have been extremely happy. Only days it's not carried is when it's extremely wet.

For a production gun as long as it fits, it's a great choice. My brother bought a 12 gauge Instinct SL the day after our first hunt in the '22 season after seeing and handling mine. Great working gun IMHO.

132836.jpeg

@MontanaPat - Why does it HAVE to be a 16 bore instead of a 12 or 20? Do you have a stockpile of of those shells or maybe prefer lighter than 12 bore recoil?

I don’t have any issue with your choice. After all, it’s your decision. Just wondering.

@MontanaPat - Why does it HAVE to be a 16 bore instead of a 12 or 20? Do you have a stockpile of of those shells or maybe prefer lighter than 12 bore recoil?

I don’t have any issue with your choice. After all, it’s your decision. Just wondering.
Because 16 is for the cool kids... :cool::ROFLMAO:

Because 16 is for the cool kids... :cool::ROFLMAO:
By all accounts, 28 bore is for the cool kids while the 16 is Jan Brady caught between the 12 and 20. :ROFLMAO:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdalbertoG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]