Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
Benefactor-Life NRA, Life SCI, Life DSC
Hunted
USA, RSA, Zambia, Croatia, Slovenia
Forward Air is no longer carrying sport hunted trophies. I was to have a shipment on Ethiopian to IAD and then Forward Air to DFW, but Forward Air is refusing to carry any animal parts or finished Taxidermy. This leaves just Turkish which is screwing folks with storage charges at DFW, I don’t know about other Turkish locations.

Image1726604899.001106.jpg

Last edited:
And I emailed about unfinished animal parts and that was rejected as they don’t carry animals and animals parts.

Last edited:
I did Turkish to DFW in July. It took several days before my Taxidermy cleared and was moved to the Coppersmith warehouse. But I had zero storage charges, (and did not argue).

Total Coppersmith including > $400 in Customs/USDA fees was $2k, however.

Worldwide Flight Service handles all Turkish Airlines cargo at DFW. They will indeed rip you off on storage charges and anything else they can get you for. They charge a "building maintenance fee" on their rented space! They are total Assholes with a capital A! I had to deal with them last year. I will never ship trophies with Turkish because of them.

The shipper just needs to change the description on the Air waybill.

For instance, if the shipper were to identify the contents as furnishings. It would be acceptable for Forward Air.

The shipper just needs to change the description on the Air waybill.

For instance, if the shipper were to identify the contents as furnishings. It would be acceptable for Forward Air.
Look specifically under the Forward Air terms and conditions section 4.E. Shipments Not Accepted*

Except 4 weeks ago they were taking trophies. And a big five at that too.

Worldwide Flight Service handles all Turkish Airlines cargo at DFW. They will indeed rip you off on storage charges and anything else they can get you for. They charge a "building maintenance fee" on their rented space! They are total Assholes with a capital A! I had to deal with them last year. I will never ship trophies with Turkish because of them.
Who you goin to ship with since Turkish seems the only available airline left ??

@wesheltonj Sorry to hear. I don't have anything else to offer as an alternative other than Turks

My trophies flew Turkish Air from Lusaka to Houston (IAH) with no trouble clearing and no excessive storage fee. I will say it took a long time from the hunt to when a dip and pack shipment actually left Zambia, about 9 months. I received a note from the taxidermist in Zambia that handled it all and he explained that some of the difficulties are related to only having electricity a few hours during the day. Things that we take for granted in the US are not necessarily available in Africa.

As long as there are no big 5 in the shipment won’t domestic airlines carry trophies?

This is why I wanted to use Ethiopian we are still working on Forward Air. Airbills were sent showing current shipments on Forward Air, if that does not work it’s Turkish. I understand from my broker Turkish changed warehouses at DFW to Dnana for inspection.

If Turkish and Ethiopian ever stop carrying trophies, no one will be bring anything home.

Last edited:
My last shipment, last year, was shipped by Delta. No big five. It came in to DFW, and I cleared it there.

I have a shipment waiting in Windhoek. It was suppose to arrive last Friday, but the shipping agent held it back upon news from Forward Air.

It will be interesting to see the solution. Perhaps clearance in Dulles instead of Seattle and ground shipment to Montana. That seems like the easiest solution.

I don’t think there is another commercial airline option out of Windhoek since Qatar discontinued the route November 2023.

I may be heading over in October for a last minute leopard opportunity. If the crate is delayed significantly, I may attempt returning with the 2- tanned zebras, 1- klipspringer finished skull, and 1- baboon finished skull as checked baggage.

It appears the solution is Turkish Air.

Tried Old Dominion Truck lines, that was not acceptable to my customs broker. She is still trying to get Forward Air to change their stance.

I think from Windhoek your solution is sending them to JNB and you will have at least two choices, today, (Turkish & Delta - as long as no Big 5) but not maybe tomorrow.

I’ve thought about movement through RSA. I wonder if the flight transfer from Airlink to Turkish, Qatar, or Delta would require RSA import/export permiting?

I’ve thought about movement through RSA. I wonder if the flight transfer from Airlink to Turkish, Qatar, or Delta would require RSA import/export permiting?

Qatar no longer carries trophies. It’s Ethiopian, Turkish & Delta - but no Big 5 for Delta. And unless you are going to clear in IAD, Ethiopian is becoming unusable too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carolynsakstrup549

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia