For those that can't afford the Rigby Big Game or Heym Express, What's the next best thing?

Northern Shooter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Especially rifles that come availible in 416 Rigby with the traditional African rifle aesthetics. What would be the next best thing one price category below those two but above the likes of CZ, Winchester, Ruger etc?

ParkWest Arms? Kimber? Montana Rifle?

Who else is still producing premium CRF bolt guns these days?

I‘d look for a like-new Dakota in a standard caliber. Not one of the Dakota proprietary rounds. They’re a bargain compared to the Parkwest guns. Kimber and Montana are fine rifles, but not in the same league as Dakota IMO.

I‘d look for a like-new Dakota in a standard caliber. Not one of the Dakota proprietary rounds. They’re a bargain compared to the Parkwest guns. Kimber and Montana are fine rifles, but not in the same league as Dakota IMO.
I wasn't in this market when Dakota were still around but I hear they established quite the name for themselves. I didn't realize that PWA brought them upmarket, is there any functional difference between the Dakota 76 and PWA SD-76?

I heard that for a couple years under Remington ownership the PWA rifles were suffering from quality control issues.

From what I can tell from their marketing materials, PW is making Dakota 76s using the same design, materials and tooling as was used to make Dakotas.

I heard some rumblings about build quality under Remington, but I think the big issue was delivery.

Any opinions on how would a a fully blueprinted Winchester Model 70 action reworked my a major US gunsmith would compare to a Dakota 76?

Quite a broad question, but would the action themselves be significantly different?

Go to auction and buy a good second-hand rifle.

As an example, here is a .416 Rigby by Paul Roberts. Yours for around $1,000. (In my opinion, and subject to getting a condition report, it's a steal at that price.)
Nice find! The H&H QD scope mount is about $9k to install on a rifle (done by H&H). This rifle would be incredible value at $1k imo.

Given your described parameters, I would be looking at a used Dakota? There's a HUGE price point jump between a Winchester M70, Ruger RSM, CZ, Dakota and Kimber versus a new PW rifle ($10K). I love my CZ 550s (one an AHR#2) and everything else is pretty much out of MY financial large bore rifles buying zip code.

I just checked your location. Being in Canada, check out Ralf Martini’s site from time to time. He has some solid upper mid-grade rifles at times. Also Ellwood Epps.

Last edited:
I just checked your location. Being in Canada, check out Ralf Martini’s site from time to time. He has some solid upper mid-grade rifles at times. Also Ellwood Epps.
Im on his site every week or so, lots of amazing stuff but majority of it is >$10,000. Also been frequenting Ellwood Epps, Prophet River, Wolverine Supplies and Calgary shooting Center.

Classic Arms auction83… Rigby .416 up for sale.

Some of the older MRC rifles would be an option as well. After speaking with them at SCI 2023, I’m sure it won’t be long before they are back in the medium and big bore game.

Also agree with @Beck about Sako.

Who else is still producing premium CRF bolt guns these days?
Well, what is premium?

Question should be, who else is producing magnum length action CRF bolt guns?
Magnum length CRF action these days is premium!

On medium length action you have Winchester m70 (375 HH, 348 WM, 416 rem) and zastava m70 (375 HH and 458 win mag). Then you have ruger on medium action, probably in 375 ruger.

Sako 85 phased out. Factory claims it is CRF type action, albeit not m98 type CRF. In several action lengths, and in variety of DG calibers.

On magnum length action, first next step is Mauser 98 DWM, newly produced. start at 10k.

Everything else in magnum length action CRF is probably more expensive.

Dakota, used, pay no more that 6-8 and never look back, worth every penny. That being said you can pick up some really good custom stuff for the same money if you know what to look for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfjdjhfsx

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]