For those that can't afford the Rigby Big Game or Heym Express, What's the next best thing?

Whit, good decision. Get one while you’re there. Borrow the money if need be.

Ive owned a bunch of CZs, love em all. Good mag capacity, action not too bulky, mount system great. Most got custom stocks, or slimmed down and refinished. Most got a barrel band. Bolts were polished with mag wheel polish to smooth up a bit.
I personally prefer the factory CZ side safety, as it works perfect for me. Too many times Ive seen 3 pos swing safeties knocked off, by accident, or by clothing when the person is not aware of it, or carry slung on left shoulder against your body, belt, pants, etc. I need to reduce potential accidents for me, guides and clients, so 2 brands have been and gone. Just my safe safety opinion from experience, I aint lying, so please don't tell me off.
Also gripping or palm, whatever you do best... :)
Yes we had Paul Roberts bring 2x Rigbys in buffalo camp once, both on worked over CZ actions.. did not look one bit like CZ anymore... a 450 and 416.
On another subject, in a shootout once, a guy with his Dakota bolt 416 fired 4 shots.. before I could close on my next 2 shells into my English double... that was a lesson.
Whatever you have for DG, practice, practice.. in many differing scenarios.

Travel & Hunt. Be Safe.
I have never seen issues with the 3 pos safety , but obviously can happen. In fact, I think the 3 pos Heym (pre-Martini) is brilliant.

Open palm cycling, only.
Although I hold CZ 550 in high regard, I very much dislike the hole in the bolt knob for me and my bolt cycling I find that it creates a hot spot on my palm.
I always fill the bolt knob with a brass rod.
Interesting. My BRNO vz.24 98 Mauser came with a hollow knob aftermarket bolt handle welded on to replace the straight factory one. I filled mine with zebrawood.
20231025_220205.jpg

A Kimber Caprivi just popped up for sale in the vlassigo

I would say it would fit nicely in this discussion

I’m drooling at the​

Repetierbüchse Velser Mod. Quintessenz​

I was also interested in that model and actually just this week asked Velser about the possibility to build a modell Quintessenz in .416 Rigby instead of the regular calibers available (up to .30-06), they say there is a surcharge for calibers bigger then .30-06 and there sure was a surcharge. It amounted to 5500 euro extra for the Magnum action required aswell as 2000 euro extra for the handmade stock that apperantly is required for the bigger barrel etc. So about 7500 euro plus the initial 4950 euros.

Unsere VELSER-M98-Custom-made-Repetierer Büchsen werden ausschließlich mit ausgesuchten Originalsystemen namhafter Hersteller wie DWM, Steyr, FN sowie Mauser ausgestattet. Auf Wunsch verwenden wir auch neue Systeme, die wieder nach Original-Zeichnungen hergestellt werden. Es bleibt also in Bezug auf Ihre Priorität kein Wunsch offen.

Lower prices can be explained by the fact that original Mauser actions are used to built the majority of the rifles. These used actions are very cheap compared to new Mauser 98 action, let alone Mauser Magnum actions that are very expensive. For the cartridge 416 Rigby you need a Magnum action and everything that comes with it, but such magnum actions do not exist used. Old Brevex Magnum actions are because of their rarity also sold at high prices.

Anyone who want to have built a rifle caliber 416 Rem Mag or 416 Ruger will definitely get it much cheaper.

That makes sense. They are priced well for medium sized actions. How do they compare to a Heym ?

So they are approximately 1/3 the price of a Heym? Are they the same quality?

Heym use new Mauser 98 actions as well as the Mauser company. The price of such rifles is that given by Velser and these are semi-custom rifles.

Could you perhaps be thinking of Rigby, who uses Mauser barreled actions?

Rigby states in their brochure they are using Mauser manufactured actions. The statement is in the paragraph under the Big Game model.

Heym states they make cartridge specific actions and “make everything under one roof.”

Attachments

Could you perhaps be thinking of Rigby, who uses Mauser barreled actions?

Rigby states in their brochure they are using Mauser manufactured actions. The statement is in the paragraph under the Big Game model.

Heym states they make cartridge specific actions and “make everything under one roof.”

You are correct.

For 3 position WInchester style side safeties on Mauser actioned guns.

Good - The independently made ones in the USA (can't remember the guy that makes them "on the other safari site"

Better - The dakota

Best - The German one, can't remember if its rechnagel or EAW?

Why is the $400 German one better than the Dakota at $200ish? It's more imbecile proof. If you ever hand your rifle to an imbecile, which qualifies as everyone but you, they will pull on your bolt with all their might trying to force the action open because people are stupid thugs. They will damage the Good and Better options, introducing play into the safety by using brute force trying to overcome the locked bolt. The German one withstands imbeciles the best. The dakota also has the most sensitive small parts, they do, and I have had them come apart on safari when a mopane twig got stuck under the safety lever and pulled it all apart, being held by nothing but a roll pin. The german one has a flush mount screw holding the lever on that is a superior design for superior money.

All three are still good, and fine-gun-worthy. It's just the German one is best-gun worthy for its reliability and durability versus all the rest.

For 3 position WInchester style side safeties on Mauser actioned guns.

Good - The independently made ones in the USA (can't remember the guy that makes them "on the other safari site"

Better - The dakota

Best - The German one, can't remember if its rechnagel or EAW?

Why is the $400 German one better than the Dakota at $200ish? It's more imbecile proof. If you ever hand your rifle to an imbecile, which qualifies as everyone but you, they will pull on your bolt with all their might trying to force the action open because people are stupid thugs. They will damage the Good and Better options, introducing play into the safety by using brute force trying to overcome the locked bolt. The German one withstands imbeciles the best. The dakota also has the most sensitive small parts, they do, and I have had them come apart on safari when a mopane twig got stuck under the safety lever and pulled it all apart, being held by nothing but a roll pin. The german one has a flush mount screw holding the lever on that is a superior design for superior money.

All three are still good, and fine-gun-worthy. It's just the German one is best-gun worthy for its reliability and durability versus all the rest.
I think Ed Lapour may be the name you’re looking for on the good American one

I think Ed Lapour may be the name you’re looking for on the good American one

Bingo. Nothing wrong with them. Good quality for reasonable money. Not as good as the German one, but not every rifle warrants a $400 safety.

Why is it so hard to find actual prices online for these rifles new from the factory?

What are the starting retail prices (USD) for the Rigby Big Game? The Heym Express? the PWA SD-76 etc?

For those that can't afford the Rigby Big Game or Heym Express, What's the next best thing?​

There is a Dakota .416 Rigby and a Kimber Caprivi listed now in the classifieds.

You could put $500-$1000 into the Kimber and have the equivalent quality and accuracy. And save $4000-$10,000 from Rigby or Heym. Or leave it alone because it’s fine as is.

I don’t know if Kimber has someone else make the action as the others do. Or if they make their own components.

Kimber has a nicely designed action
The key to the proper design of a CRF action is to have the tip of the ejector forward of the rim of the cartridge in the magazine box. If made this way, you cannot double-feed a CRF action. Many CRF-style rifles, including the Winchester model 70, do not conform with this design concept. The smooth CRF-styled action of the Kimber Caprivi however comes very close. If the cartridges in the magazine box do not slip forward under recoil, they cannotbe double-fed. And, even if they do slip forward, your margin for error is less than 1/8th of an inch.

Another feature of true CRF actions that makes them less than ideal for dangerous game is that they must be fed from the magazine box. With the CRF-styled Kimber 8400 Magnum action, you can just drop a cartridge into the ejection port and close the bolt.

After reading my post. I may buy the Caprivi and cut the barrel to 22” :>)))

Last edited:
Maybe I should have clarified but I already own a CZ550, Model 70 Safari Express and Ruger M77. Love all three of them but am looking for those that are a step above in workmanship.

I'm unfamiliar with Kimber, and Cooper and Montana Rifle Company etc. I wasn't sure if they were in the same range as Dakota /PWA.

It doesn't sound like they are.
i was thinking along your lines as well as i moved through Ruger and Sako. i finally landed on a custom built Mauser from a guy in La for $8k that i am very happy with. beautiful engraving with gold cape buff on floor plate. shoots fantastic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meiyejiujie262

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?