For the tractor lovers

Have you ever seen the videos of the Navy pushing WWII fighter planes into the ocean after the war ended?

Sickening...

Last edited:
Just got another load to our new place in Texas:)

@Just Gina 's Model L and1938 B, and my 420 (ok, she refers to that as hers also;)

20240609_080406.jpg

And a picture of her 1934 GP (the nice pretty paint job) she purchased at an auction in North Carolina and a 1929 D that came along for the ride...

Attachments

• 20240505_113801.jpg
    20240505_113801.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 28
Well, Biden gave $8 billion worth of weapons to the Taliban.

The ocean would have been a better fate.

Well, Biden gave $8 billion worth of weapons to the Taliban.

The ocean would have been a better fate.
Wow that's correct! Especially all that night vision gear that is going to haunt us for many years to come.....

I should learn to control myself on getting political...

Old and red fit my budget at the time of purchase. The hydro 100 was ahead of its time.
What was special about the hydro 100?

What was special about the hydro 100?
It was hydrostatic drive. Like many lawn mowers or skid steer loaders. Basically an infinitely variable speed transmission. Very inefficient way to transfer power to the ground so not great for tillage work. But as good as you could get for tasks such as cutting hay or especially baling.

I’ll second the hydro 100 for baling. Big enough to handle a baler and loaded wagon down a hill and easy to get the perfect speed to make good bales. Tillage not so much. Once John Deere came out with the 15 speed power shift that took over

Here's my personal baby, (vs the many larger tractors we have at our other farms) I love this modern tractor. (old enough to NOT burn DEF) Comfortable, convenient, has a passenger seat for @Just Gina or grandkids. It has a very adjustable swivel seat that is even heated. The AC works great. It has an IVT transmission and honestly seems to out pull the 140 HP tractor I used to have. And it is so cool to just set the ground speed and the engine automatically adjusts to whatever RPM's it needs.
View attachment 538947View attachment 538948View attachment 538949View attachment 538951
The modern version is an incredible invention called an IVT transmission. This is very efficient and works great for all applications including tillage. If you look at the details in the photos I'm pulling a 15' disk with a tine tooth harrow on the back using 4.4 gallons of fuel per hour. At the time of the picture the engine was running g at about 1600 rpms and I had it set to drive 4 mph (rocky field, cushion gang disk).

It is behind the steering wheel but there is a little toggle lever for Park, Neutral, Forward and Reverse. No need to clutch unless feathering such as hooking up to an impliment or backing into the shed.

The orange levers on the side council, rear one is throttle which I have all the way but the tractor is programmed to only run as many rpms as the power required in this mode. If I was running the pto it would be set to the desired pto rpm.

The other lever is the speed control. The lever is for larger and faster speed changes, the black thumb roller is for fine tuning. You can see that sort of middle transition spot the lever is sitting in, that is where I like to set my preferred average speed (set with the roller) so that if I want to slow down for rocks or speed up, I can easily slap it back to that central point just by feel.

Beside that lever is a toggle quick switch for the 3 point hitch, then 3 finger toggles for hydraulics (many of our larger tractors have 4 or 5).

The 1/2 switch is a programmable quick switch i haven't used but for serious farming with large complicated equipment you can program in things like headland management. For example you may want to switch off the differential lock, turn off the pto, raise the 3 point, raise hydraulic cylinders in whatever order with whatever time between, all with one switch.

The yellow switch is an electric over hydraulic pto switch that automatically feathers it on to requirements so as not to shear a pin. Then there are more 3 point controls.

It was hydrostatic drive. Like many lawn mowers or skid steer loaders. Basically an infinitely variable speed transmission. Very inefficient way to transfer power to the ground so not great for tillage work. But as good as you could get for tasks such as cutting hay or especially baling.
Also has the ability to adjust ground speed without changing engine RPMs.
Like you say, very effective for baling.

Last edited:
So like a snowmobile or my wife’s ATV which both use a clutch/pulley system with a drive belt. Or like cars with a CVT transmission. No shifting of gears required?

So like a snowmobile or my wife’s ATV which both use a clutch/pulley system with a drive belt. Or like cars with a CVT transmission. No shifting of gears required?

It’s exactly like a riding lawn mower with the forward or reverse pedals. It has a hydraulic pump that drives a hydraulic motor, the hydrostat. A zero turn mower has a motor on each rear wheel, allowing you to operate each wheel individually.

Got in 3 hours of tractor therapy today...

I can really think about stuff when bush-hogging (hard to do much else!)

kubota.jpg

I started on IH 806 & IH 1206 with straight pipe loud, now I have CaseIH Quadtracs 500HP.
When I was a boy smelling that diesel when the tractor was first warming up, was awesome

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wioplex

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?