For the tractor lovers

I only have my John Deere 750. I have no real need for it, I really only "need" a good riding mower, but where's the fun in that. I grew up on 15 acres, my dad said we had no need for a tractor, he had 3 strong boys and an old pickup or two if we needed to pull/haul anything. Supposedly it was good for us to push a mower or use a scythe to cut what the mower or weed eater couldn't get... And if the scythe didn't work, you burned it.
I only have a wife and daughter, so that's why I need a tractor. Plus, it works better than a tree limb when butchering. View attachment 529232
First photo I've seen on this thread with an animal hanging from a tractor that's been skinned. Good choice. Leave the skin on too long and it'll taint the meat.

Is that a 5020? Who did the repower and what engine is that?

Damned cool! :)
i believe it is a 5020 somewhere in the '65-6 range as I drove enough of that style tractor (they're difficult to tell apart if redone. 5010, 5020, 4520) but the hood/grilles were the same from 110 up to 5020!) belongs to an elder relative that keeps it at our shop. i think it was orig picked up at a dealer in WI by a guy that pulled in NYS (orig had the monster truck tires, add'l. brackets, etc.) but it was returned to normal 18-20in duals and put back to use. It may be Kinze orig work as it is a Detroit Diesel. w/ orig straight pipes, needed hearing protection when starting up indoors and outside w/ the throttle above idle. (One owner claimed that if operated close to the barn or pasture, it'd scare the cows and reduce milk production!) Now, with small mufflers, everyone is just aware it is operating! He used to use it in the fields, but then started buying feed when the fuel prices went up. fam spend a lot of time charging/switching batteries around, using a little starting fluid, and filling tires after winter when it needs to be moved! the tires are not loaded and it slipped a lot while plowing, so we use smaller, simpler properly-ballasted machines (i.e. 60-130 Hp) to get work done with less fuel, compaction and with ears still in-tact! Owner is retired, lives a couple hrs away and never mentions the tractor. LOL 'hope he keeps it that way. Other relatives joke that if he has early dimentia, I should trade it back to him for some of his original workhorses! They go for about 25K in this shape today; some w/ cabs and canopies even more. can get orig in working order but in-need of restoration for about 10K-15K.

Last edited:
"...get out of the way... wrong side of the road you derby..". Oh wait Dundee is Australian and was driving in New York.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I just kept saying "There's Big Ben Again!!" in the left hand lane traffic circles to keep me calm while white-knuckled! lol Pretoria/Pietersburg area if I recall correctly.

My 71 IH 454. Only purchased for my 35 acres and working on the cabin.
Worked on dairy farms in Wisconsin when I was a kid. First tractor I use to rake hay was an old one I had to crank start to get it running. Old boy always warned me to be careful and not get my arms broke if it backfired. Lol
Never had a problem there but got smashed up pretty bad by an old Ford tractor in Montana where I went to work when I was 16.
I have an inside job these days.

2013-06-18 08.58.28.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My 71 IH 454. Only purchased for my 35 acres and working on the cabin.
Worked on dairy farms in Wisconsin when I was a kid. First tractor I use to rake hay was an old one I had to crank start to get it running. Old boy always warned me to be careful and not get my arms broke if it backfired. Lol
Never had a problem there but got smashed up pretty bad by an old Ford tractor in Montana where I went to work when I was 16.
I have an inside job these days.

You learn pretty quick not to wrap your thumb around that crank handle!!!

Grew up on small farm. Remember early morning or late night baling to catch some dew during hottest part of summer. Hauling hay out the fields by myself with tractor set in low and loading bales with rig creeping along. OHSA or child services or some gov constabulary would lock parents up now for that. Have always associated heat, sweat and alfalfa dust with tractors. Now have a tractor for plowing snow and maintaining roads. Never had the luxury of a cab such less air con.... what is a cab? Nope, I just view a tractor kind of like a shovel, not exactly a warm and fuzzy...

Grew up on small farm. Remember early morning or late night baling to catch some dew during hottest part of summer. Hauling hay out the fields by myself with tractor set in low and loading bales with rig creeping along. OHSA or child services or some gov constabulary would lock parents up now for that. Have always associated heat, sweat and alfalfa dust with tractors. Now have a tractor for plowing snow and maintaining roads. Never had the luxury of a cab such less air con.... what is a cab? Nope, I just view a tractor kind of like a shovel, not exactly a warm and fuzzy...

LOL, I’d get sent to the co-op for supplies with the Ferguson and a trailer before I could reach the pedals from the seat. I had to drive standing up. Kids just don’t get a chance to grow up properly these days. I guess that’s why we have man buns.

LOL, I’d get sent to the co-op for supplies with the Ferguson and a trailer before I could reach the pedals from the seat. I had to drive standing up. Kids just don’t get a chance to grow up properly these days. I guess that’s why we have man buns.
My dad used to tell stories about driving an old hand start JD B to town and even school. They lived and farmed on the outskirts of town.. That old tractor only a 4 speed transmission and was very slow.... So being the mechanical wizard teenager he was, he built a "PTO Trailer". Of course that old JD two cylinder did not have live pto. So his trailer was the rear end of an old car with the transmission and he ran a shift to the tractor PTO. He could put the tractor in neutral and engage the pto. The trailer of course would push the tractor a good 20 MPH.

He would whip it around in front of school, burning rubber all the way!

You learn pretty quick not to wrap your thumb around that crank handle!!!
And not to have the thumb round the steering wheel as well when discing across ploughing with no power steering. That was the one thing my father made sure I understood when I started tractor driving as a boy. Still find it hard to wrap thumb under steering wheel on the modern vehicles.

And not to have the thumb round the steering wheel as well when discing across ploughing with no power steering. That was the one thing my father made sure I understood when I started tractor driving as a boy. Still find it hard to wrap thumb under steering wheel on the modern vehicles.
:):) Yep. You'll only do it once!
Kind of like dallying a rope and not keeping track of your fingers
Or not paying attention to the handle on a handi man jack!
Or the worst.... not paying attention to an un-shrouded spinning PTO shaft

Last edited:
The most enjoyable times I remember were cutting firewood with my father and I did it with him from about 11 years old. I have already mentioned elsewhere about the logs and the blackpowder gun but when they were dry, out would come the 165 MF with the saw bench on the 3 point linkage and the 36 inch blade powered by the PTO through a belt drive similar to the one pictured on the wee Fergie. So Dad would have the split logs on the tray and swing it forward to cut the split log into 12-15 inch lengths and I would be taking the cut lengths from against the saw blade and throwing them onto the truck behind me. Was taught to be careful but there was never an instance where we (or rather, me) was ever close to having any danger but then again it was in the days when there was serious times and play times and doing that was one of the serious times where full on concentration was called for with no messing around when doing so. The difference between the one in the pic and the one we used was that there was no blade guard so the full diameter of the blade was in play the whole time
sb.png

You never see a man in my family wrap his thumb around the wheel of anything.

The most enjoyable times I remember were cutting firewood with my father and I did it with him from about 11 years old. I have already mentioned elsewhere about the logs and the blackpowder gun but when they were dry, out would come the 165 MF with the saw bench on the 3 point linkage and the 36 inch blade powered by the PTO through a belt drive similar to the one pictured on the wee Fergie. So Dad would have the split logs on the tray and swing it forward to cut the split log into 12-15 inch lengths and I would be taking the cut lengths from against the saw blade and throwing them onto the truck behind me. Was taught to be careful but there was never an instance where we (or rather, me) was ever close to having any danger but then again it was in the days when there was serious times and play times and doing that was one of the serious times where full on concentration was called for with no messing around when doing so. The difference between the one in the pic and the one we used was that there was no blade guard so the full diameter of the blade was in play the whole time
View attachment 530862

Oh gosh, I totally forgot about the saw we ran off the Chalmers. I still get chills thinking about that open blade. Somehow we managed not to perform any amputations with it.

Older sister started plowing with a jeep when she was seven.

This is the first tractor I ever used. It tended to be broken down more than it ran. Spent more time on the newer Farmall.

1682815402096.png

Sold my last two New Holland's last year. Kind of sad.

View attachment 530862
Now that brings back memories! We has a similar buzz saw mounted on the front of a two cylinder JD. We had oil heat backup, but pretty much heated the whole house plus a little workshop with wood.

Garry I had the same job as you when I was about that same age. We had a 120 acres pasture and woods about 10 mile away.

My brother lives in that same house but has remodeled it twice and actually lifted it and put a whole new finished basement under it....

He's a logger but lives out in the prairie. He was selling a piece of equipment and another logger came to buy it and asked "where do you log? Ybere aren't any trees." My brother told him "We're done!" ;)

He also likes to say; "It is so flat where I live that I can watch my dog run away from home for two days!" :)

i believe it is a 5020 somewhere in the '65-6 range as I drove enough of that style tractor (they're difficult to tell apart if redone. 5010, 5020, 4520) but the hood/grilles were the same from 110 up to 5020!) belongs to an elder relative that keeps it at our shop. i think it was orig picked up at a dealer in WI by a guy that pulled in NYS (orig had the monster truck tires, add'l. brackets, etc.) but it was returned to normal 18-20in duals and put back to use. It may be Kinze orig work as it is a Detroit Diesel. w/ orig straight pipes, needed hearing protection when starting up indoors and outside w/ the throttle above idle. (One owner claimed that if operated close to the barn or pasture, it'd scare the cows and reduce milk production!) Now, with small mufflers, everyone is just aware it is operating! He used to use it in the fields, but then started buying feed when the fuel prices went up. fam spend a lot of time charging/switching batteries around, using a little starting fluid, and filling tires after winter when it needs to be moved! the tires are not loaded and it slipped a lot while plowing, so we use smaller, simpler properly-ballasted machines (i.e. 60-130 Hp) to get work done with less fuel, compaction and with ears still in-tact! Owner is retired, lives a couple hrs away and never mentions the tractor. LOL 'hope he keeps it that way. Other relatives joke that if he has early dimentia, I should trade it back to him for some of his original workhorses! They go for about 25K in this shape today; some w/ cabs and canopies even more. can get orig in working order but in-need of restoration for about 10K-15K.
Proper American Muscle Tractor:)

I don't think I've seen one with an 8V Detroit before. Most seem to be 6V71 Detroits.

It's not a 6030 is it?

Proper American Muscle Tractor:)

I don't think I've seen one with an 8V Detroit before. Most seem to be 6V71 Detroits.

It's not a 6030 is it?
lol i can check the metal tag from Waterloo, but it's prob long gone

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buxyniliwu012

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]