vette447

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
USA (AK,CO,NM,WY,TX,KS,OK), Namibia, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Argentina, France
Up for sale is a beautiful prewar Mauser Sporing Rifle in the iconic 9.3x62mm caliber made by H Barella of Berlin. This rifle features a 25” barrel with full length Mannlicher style stock of beautifully figured wood featuring carved buffalo horn grip cap and buttplate. There are sling attachment points in the forestock under the barrel as well as the rear stock. The barrel features a guarded silver bead front sight and express style rear sight containing one standing and two folding leaves. The barrel also features a full-length matted rib. There are original factory installed German claw type scope mounts installed ready to be re-fitted with EAW rings allowing easy access to install your preferred optics for hunting. The barrel is half octagon, half round and simply marked with the serial number and “ H. BARELLA, BERLIN” in the top rib. The bolt handle is a low-profile butterknife style with attractive and durable checkering and the trigger features a set trigger option. There is light border engraving around the scope mounts and front ring of receiver. All screws are embellished with engraving as well. The rifle weighs 8.4 lbs and has a LOP of 14-5/8” to the end of the horn buttplate.

The condition of the rifle is very nice overall and totally original. There are still good traces of case colors on the receiver bolt body and floorplate (I had difficulty getting them to show in the pics as well as they look in person) with a nitre blued extractor and bolt release. The gorgeous wood is in excellent shape with only some handling marks from light use. This is a beautiful original example of a classic German sporting rifle ready to be appreciated by a collector and hunter alike. It is ready for many more hunts as desired.

Price is $3,750 plus actual shipping to your FFL.

Barella_1.jpg
Barella_2.jpg
Barella_3.jpg
Barella_4.jpg
Barella_5.jpg
Barella_6.jpg
Barella_7.jpg
Barella_9.jpg
Barella_10.jpg
Barella_11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that's the prettiest piece of wood I've ever seen on a pre-war German Sporter. Wow... gorgeous rifle. Good luck with the sale!

Ed Z

Now cross-posted. Thank you for the interest so far.

I have never seen nor heard of a single side-shield as seen to the right of the front sight. Does anyone have a comment on it? Does it fit in a slot? Would be hard to machine it if integral to the barrel.
Also pretty sure the feeding clip cutout is just on a standard action? Never heard of stripper clips for 9.3x62.
Nice looking piece!

It’s not single, it’s an ear on each side of the blade. Very many German mausers are built on ex military or rejected military receivers depending on the era. Finding one built on an actual Mauser Oberndorf action sold to the trade is much less common from Suhl makers, and usually it’s from the bigger names, Sauer, Merkel etc that you see this.

Correct. The front sight blade and bead is protected by blades on both sides of the sight. I believe that you is what you were asking about.

Last edited:
Correct. The front sight blade and bead is protected by blades on both sides of the sight. I believe that you is what you were asking about.
It helps to see both if you zoom in on the front sight.

Thank you. Those are some gorgeous double guns in that article. I haven’t seen many bolt action rifles made by Barella.

Send the guys there a mail and ask , they have a large archive of info not on the page there .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoracioSpi

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?