For Sale 375 REM 700 Overwatch

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 55776
  • Start date Start date
Clearly the 500 grain welcome wagon missed the good idea fairy...commence the melee with the light weight cannon barrel... suppression is achieved by muzzle blast and American powder! Oorah! As the Gunny would say.
No , a 300gr .458 bullet! Anyway, maybe the .375 Hellfire is potentially a viable cartridge, but only in a semi-auto rifle like the AR .458WM or BAR or Garand .458WM? Maybe even the .600 OK in a .50BMG style semi auto? Ludicrous and outlandish seems to be fodder for some of the rifle choices today? Get on the bandwagon Forrest!

Think some of ya'all guys are being a little hard on a new member. No, it isn't my cup o tea either but I don't think it warrants some of the comments. Just sayin...:(
It is quite a piece of machinery, though I agree I wouldn't want to be in the same area code when it goes off. Behind it or in front of it...:eek:

This looks like a fantastic rifle. Very capable, very sturdy.

For all of you ragging on this gun, my thoughts are that your sentiments are very misplaced. This is the gun that many professional hunters were trying to have built for themselves in the early 1900’s. Those hunters always were pushing the envelope in search of more power, more capability, more insurance that their shot would anchor the quarry and result in a quick clean kill. Look at the calibers of these men - always increasing in foot-pounds of energy, the bullets always getting more capable, a higher ballistic coefficient, a more solid “solid”. Many of us hunt with rifles and calibers that emulate or mimic the weapons systems of the pre-World War II era. But if we are going to truly pay respect to that era, we must acknowledge the innovative spirit and forward thinking mind set that those pre-WWII hunters held.

No, the stock is not of the finest oak. But so what? It is impervious to the months long wet season of Uganda, the C.A.R. and the Congo. I sincerely would think twice about taking a $125,000 bespoke Westley Richards double into such wet jungle. The gorgeous wood would simply never be the same.

No, the barrel is not a pencil thin #2 configuration that is so often found on modern conventional rifles. But so what? I am pretty sure it will group those big heavy bullets into a 1/2” group at a hundred yards all day long.

Many of you hate the spiral fluted design. But so what? The purpose is two fold - it reduces the weight of the thick heavy barrel AND the spiral fluting attenuates barrel whip, thereby contributing to accuracy and those nice tight groups. The hunters of a century ago would have loved such a barrel.

For those of you who complain about the weight of the rifle - who cares? Many double rifles were 16-20 pounds back in the day. Too long a barrel? Again, who cares? 29” was pretty standard back in those days. It created velocity which translates into more foot-pounds of energy on target. Who wouldn’t want that when you are in the midst of a herd of elephants, 30’ from the trophy of a lifetime. Who wouldn’t want that when a very wounded and very determined lion is coming low and fast for you and is only 3 bounds away from your throat?

Who cares that the barrel is not deeply blued but is stainless steel? The purpose of bluing or color case hardening was to make the barrel and action as impervious to the elements as possible. It was the best they had back then. But now we have stainless steel and Cerakoting that renders the metal truly impervious to rain, humidity and body salts. The men who made their living hunting game a hundred years ago would have loved such tools, because it would have meant more time hunting and less time in cleaning and maintenance. The same goes for the stock. Kevlar reinforced fiberglass will not warp and change zero after three weeks afield on a fall rain soaked British Columbia hunt after monster brown bear. (A buddy of mine had this exact experience happen to him. The constant drenching rain of B.C. caused the stock to warp on his .338 Winmag Remington 700 and moved the zero over 4” to one side. He did get his bear but only after a day and a half of tracking in a circle.)

Some of you don’t like the muzzle break. But so what? Many hard kickers today come with muzzle breaks installed. Yes, they come at the price of increased noise. But really??? Do you really think Bell would have been concerned about a little bit more noise near him and his gun bearer if he had been able to deliver a .375 bullet into the brain of an elephant with the same amount of recoil as from his .275 Rigby? He would have loved, welcomed and used such tools, there is no doubt.

There is nothing wrong with building your ultimate dream gun. Every well to do hunter did that a century ago with the tools and technology at their disposal. I suspect many of them would be building just such a rifle as this .375 Hellfire or a .600 OK if they were hunting today.

There is nothing wrong with building your ultimate dream gun. Every well to do hunter did that a century ago with the tools and technology at their disposal. I suspect many of them would be building just such a rifle as this .375 Hellfire or a .600 OK if they were hunting today.

Generally, I agree with that statement.

But, if that is the "dream gun", then why are we selling it?

Well I apologize (if need be) to Cory B. James. I think it is a very technologically advanced rifle, but I’ve seen similarly typed rifles in .338 Lapua and .50 BMG. The “Bugnut” barrel swap system is very innovative and seems very sound. The .375 Hellfire is an intriguing cartridge. I guess I’m just old and “old school”?
And, I was just having some fun with Forrest. He seems like a great guy, but is worthy of my facetiousness from time to time. Ha! Ha!

Last edited:
I disagree. As the OP said this is not a spot and stalk rifle. It was not designed for it. Therefore it would be the last rifle I would want to take on a buffalo hunt. (Usually less than 100 yards.)
However it will do as it was designed, deliver a lot of horsepower accurately from a distance.
I agree with Red Leg, this just isn’t the crowd to get excited over this type of rifle.

I am in “this crowd” and I get excited by this rifle. Why not? It is a great tool for hunting wide open savannahs and prairies. Is it unworthy that he does not hunt the thick jungles of Uganda or the C.A.R. or the jungle hillsides of Northern India?

I am not so sure that men like Bell or Corbett or Patterson would not have loved this rifle. Their mind-set was to procure and use the best tools of the day - they did not use the muzzle loaders of the 17-1800’s.

The mind-set of most hunters today is more likely to be nostalgia, looking back to the heyday of hunting Africa between the world wars. But to truly honor and hunt like the old professional hunters, we would probably also need to adopt their forward thinking mind-set and be open to using the best technology available - not just the tools they used back in the day.

My feeling is - each hunter can choose whatever tools he wants. In my
mind, this forum is not about conforming to some standard of what guys a hundred years ago hunted with.

Why place your choices and preferences for firearms and calibers up on a pedestal and expect others to conform? This is a great rifle and an example of much effort building developing and perfecting it. Why can’t you acknowledge it as such and just say “to each his own”?

Generally, I agree with that statement.

But, if that is the "dream gun", then why are we selling it?

He is NOT selling it. As he answered in a separate post - a glitch sometimes occurs and posts a FOR SALE in the title of a post with photos. All he was trying to do was post photos of his new custom rifle.

He is NOT selling it. As he answered in a separate post - a glitch sometimes occurs and posts a FOR SALE in the title of a post with photos. All he was trying to do was post photos of his new custom rifle.

Then my mistake and retract my post.

My apologies.

Well I apologize (if need be) to Cory B. James. I think it is a very technologically advanced rifle, but I’ve seen similarly typed rifles in .338 Lapua and .50 BMG. The “Bugnut” barrel swap system is very innovative and seems very sound. The .375 Hellfire is an intriguing cartridge. I guess I’m just old and “old school”?

My question is - why is the innovative Bugnut barrel nut take-down system any less worthy than the innovative take-down systems pioneered by Holland & Holland or Westley Richards or Hartman & Weiss? They all serve the same function.

Why are we condemning a tool simply because it is new? I don’t get this.

For those of you who complain about the weight of the rifle - who cares? Many double rifles were 16-20 pounds back in the day. Too long a barrel? Again, who cares? 29” was pretty standard back in those days. It created velocity which translates into more foot-pounds of energy on target. Who wouldn’t want that when you are in the midst of a herd of elephants, 30’ from the trophy of a lifetime. Who wouldn’t want that when a very wounded and very determined lion is coming low and fast for you and is only 3 bounds away from your throat?

Some of you don’t like the muzzle break. But so what? Many hard kickers today come with muzzle breaks installed. Yes, they come at the price of increased noise. But really??? Do you really think Bell would have been concerned about a little bit more noise near him and his gun bearer if he had been able to deliver a .375 bullet into the brain of an elephant with the same amount of recoil as from his .275 Rigby? He would have loved, welcomed and used such tools, there is no doubt.

Hmmm.
I have never been 30' from the trophy of a lifetime in the middle of a herd. However, I have been 15 meters (~ 45") away from a charging elephant where I had barely enough time for ONE aimed shot followed by another with my .500 MDM with a 20" barrel and about 9 pound weight. The reason I was hunting elephant with that rifle was it had enough power for an elephant (500 grain bullet @2,350 ft/s) while being handy and light enough to lug around all day.

TZCfDuSl.jpg

If a lion is 3 bounds from you and all you have is a bolt rifle basically it is all or nothing at that point. Personally, despite being an adrenaline junky, I still would avoid putting myself in a situation like that.

In regards to Bell. No he would not like your rifle. Part of the reason he liked to shoot the .275 Rigby was so he could set up a platform and snipe at a herd of elephants killing multiples from that herd in high grass. The sound of your rifle would scatter that herd. So, yes he would very much have been concerned about the noise.

I have nothing against fluted or long barrels. I am sitting on a .300 RUM action that will be a long distance PG game rifle for plains of Tanzania that will have 26" spiral fluted barrel. It could also be a long distance Elk hunting rifle in the Western states if I were ever to hunt Elk in Montana again.

Sometimes more is just more without much of a real purpose or practicality though.

Attachments

• TZCfDuSl.jpg
    TZCfDuSl.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited by a moderator:
My question is - why is the innovative Bugnut barrel nut take-down system any less worthy than the innovative take-down systems pioneered by Holland & Holland or Westley Richards or Hartman & Weiss? They all serve the same function.

Why are we condemning a tool simply because it is new? I don’t get this.
Well, I think your right. The “Bugnut” system may be better than the above previous options? Look at the Blaser barrel swap system. How is the Bugnut different? Wish I could barrel swap with my CZs?

For all of you ragging on this gun, my thoughts are that your sentiments are very misplaced. This is the gun that many professional hunters were trying to have built for themselves in the early 1900’s. Those hunters always were pushing the envelope in search of more power, more capability, more insurance that their shot would anchor the quarry and result in a quick clean kill. Look at the calibers of these men - always increasing in foot-pounds of energy, the bullets always getting more capable, a higher ballistic coefficient, a more solid “solid”. Many of us hunt with rifles and calibers that emulate or mimic the weapons systems of the pre-World War II era. But if we are going to truly pay respect to that era, we must acknowledge the innovative spirit and forward thinking mind set that those pre-WWII hunters held.

No, the stock is not of the finest oak. But so what? It is impervious to the months long wet season of Uganda, the C.A.R. and the Congo. I sincerely would think twice about taking a $125,000 bespoke Westley Richards double into such wet jungle. The gorgeous wood would simply never be the same.

No, the barrel is not a pencil thin #2 configuration that is so often found on modern conventional rifles. But so what? I am pretty sure it will group those big heavy bullets into a 1/2” group at a hundred yards all day long.

Many of you hate the spiral fluted design. But so what? The purpose is two fold - it reduces the weight of the thick heavy barrel AND the spiral fluting attenuates barrel whip, thereby contributing to accuracy and those nice tight groups. The hunters of a century ago would have loved such a barrel.

Who cares that the barrel is not deeply blued but is stainless steel? The purpose of bluing or color case hardening was to make the barrel and action as impervious to the elements as possible. It was the best they had back then. But now we have stainless steel and Cerakoting that renders the metal truly impervious to rain, humidity and body salts. The men who made their living hunting game a hundred years ago would have loved such tools, because it would have meant more time hunting and less time in cleaning and maintenance. The same goes for the stock. Kevlar reinforced fiberglass will not warp and change zero after three weeks afield on a fall rain soaked British Columbia hunt after monster brown bear. (A buddy of mine had this exact experience happen to him. The constant drenching rain of B.C. caused the stock to warp on his .338 Winmag Remington 700 and moved the zero over 4” to one side. He did get his bear but only after a day and a half of tracking in a circle.)

Actually, I like both the.375 Hellfire and .600 OK. I just won’t pay for what they want for the rifles. Are they worth the cost? Absolutely! For someone else! I’ll stick with my plain Jane factory CZs and maybe a Winchester or Ruger in my future? Just MAYBE a used .458 B & M? Unlike many here, I’m just a cheap rifle buying bastard!

I never said I didn’t like the rifle. It’s very interesting. I am curious to learn more about it. It’s a very well built rifle I’m sure.
But its just the wrong tool for spot and stalk hunting, as the owner said.
As for Bell he like a light rifle that pointed like a shotgun, used reliable ammunition, and was a reliable rifle.
He ran up to 25 miles a day after elephants. And did a lot more close up shooting than some people give him credit for.

Not exactly my cup of tea but it's an interesting piece of machine work. Remage setups have a fair amount of following and it's also a considerably less expensive alternative to the Blaser setup. One could take two barrels to Africa with one receiver and two scopes set up with QD mounts.

My rifle, my style of hunting. My 600 Overkill is for the spot-n-stalk hunting. Always a smart-ass that does not like someone else's build... you must be a Democrat LOL The rifle was configured for Safari-Style Hunting in Texas... not Africa. You can view my post on my 600 Overkill and that my friend is a close-encounter weapon... no need for a follow up shot. Oh wait, you will bitch it is not a 577 Trex POS or a 4 Bore... LOL

I believe the combative attitude of the OP didn't help his cause. Is it a good looking rifle? Yes it is. Is it suitable for Safari-Style Hunting in Texas? I don't believe so. Will this rifle suit the crowd? Definitely not. Most hunters in this forum are of a certain age, and we like rifles with beautiful wooden stocks, not like the generation of young hunters who like everything plastic. Some of us do own plastic stocked rifles, and they have their place, like hunting in very humid, wet conditions.

In closing. We are a very civilized and well mannered crowd, and don't like a new member giving us attitude because we don't patronize his built. This is not like the other forums out there, where this type of behavior is encouraged.

Last edited by a moderator:

No, the stock is not of the finest oak. But so what? It is impervious to the months long wet season of Uganda, the C.A.R. and the Congo. I sincelerly

Actually, at the turn of the century with the full potential of smokeless powder starting to be realized, caliber started to get smaller. And in Africa, particularly for dangerous game, something with a 300-500 gr bullet moving along at 2100 t0 2500 fps emerged as the perfect combination for the things that could hurt you.

I find it unlikely a professional hunter would have been remotely interested in such a rifle - particularly when optics were a mere glimmer on the horizon and a herd of elephant were many hours and miles away. You would be hard pressed to find one today who would want such a thing for actual hunting in that configuration.

I would agree that either a laminated or synthetic stock makes all sorts of sense for a rainforest hunt for bongo or forest buffalo (I assume that is what you meant about rainy season wherever?) - but, just not configured in such a rifle as this. On such a hunt in such conditions most shots are measured in feet.

So sure, it is an interesting thing for whatever such things might be used. It simply has no place on a DG hunt in Africa. It might be useful In its .300 guise on a specialized safari for PG in a place like Tanzania or Namibia. However, much of that hunting is also about a lot of hiking or climbing (mountain zebra comes to mind), and a transportable rifle is as important as its accuracy.

I am also not a fan of using game animals as targets for long range “hunting;” the efficacy of which has been discussed several times here and elsewhere.

I am all for progress - like the ability to change calibers. I just don’t like this concept. I own a couple of Blaser R8’s and several different caliber barrels. However, the Blaser system mounts the scope on the barrel which means calibers can be changed without affecting zero. Not so in a system using a conventional action. And then there is a muzzle break that looks like it was designed for an anti-tank gun.

So, our OP posted photos of a rifle, I’m sorry “weapon system”, that captures most of the attributes that I find not merely unnecessary, but actually a handicap in hunting game in Africa. He then says it is designed for “safari hunting” in Texas, a place where I am “on safari” rather a lot. Guess I haven’t seen the safari yet in either place where such a concept would have much utility.

That he wants to have such a thing built is absolutely his right and privilege. At what range he uses it on game animals is a decision to sort out among his own ethical standards. I am just thankful I don’t have to shoot from the neighboring bench on some range.

I'm calling a spade a spade here...
@SnowLeopard
Your posts seem to be repeating the exact same thing again and again. Are you just copying and pasting or what? I have seen the same comment about "ragging on the gun and very capable and sturdy" no less than three times. Counting yourself as one of the crowd in twenty posts, three of which are mirrors is bold.

He can have whatever he wants, however the expectation that we're all going to love it is far fetched. It's not practically fired offhand. It is, to quote Elliot Marston in Quigley Down Under, "An experimental weapon with experimental ammunition." The tantrum thrown in the wake of it was laughable at best.

Not my cup of tea, but to each his own...

So what is the parent for the 375 Hellfire? My rudimentary google search returned a facebook page for the cartridge and I was not about to go down that rabbit hole.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeffreyHud

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?