Follow up to "Which Buffalo Would You Shoot?" Post

Muting the Goat

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Tanzania, Zimbabwe, South Africa
There was a lot of interaction on yesterday's post "Which Buffalo Would You Shoot?" Most people liked the bull on the left, and some guys liked the bull on the right. A few people thought the bulls were a little young, or didn't have the dagga boy qualities they were looking for. One thing is for certain, there was no correct answer. Both are awesome bulls. To each his own.

Based on yesterday's input, I'm posting a picture of two bulls I shot within a minute of each other in the Selous several years back. I shot the one on the right first. He's almost 42" wide and has hard, wide bosses. He's a stud.

After I shot the first bull (5 shots total), the bull on the left ran off a bit, turned, stared at us, and charged. He was pissed and meant business. We had just killed his friend and he was going to exact vengeance. He got within 30 yards before I shot him. A few shots later he was finished. The two bulls fell within 30 yards of each other. It was a crazy hunt, but completely awesome!

The bull on the right is similar to the two Kenya bulls I posted yesterday - wide and heavy - although he's older than the Kenya bulls. The bull on the left is a true dagga boy. He's older than the bull on the right, his horns are worn down, the bosses are polished and starting to separate, he's losing body weight, and he was a pissed-off old bull. He's a corker. I was lucky to take two buffalo within 60 seconds that were both mature bulls, but exhibited different characteristics. Good times!

IMG0055.jpeg
IMG0054.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Both very nice bulls and a really unique story. It would have been nice if a PH replied to yesterday’s thread. Your bull on the right and the bull on the left yesterday I think are similar ages. Your bull on the left has a lot of age. The bull on the right yesterday I don’t think would be older than 5 or 6.

I’m liking this left one much better :)

Well done and a blessing to take two bulls in close proximity of both time and location. I guess it always pays to carry enough ammo for such eventualities. Each time I hunted Buff I packed what I thought to be more than sufficient and each time the shooting stopped I thought I should have had more. Exciting hunting though. Easy to see why it's addictive.

Congratulations to @Muting the Goat on the hunt.

With all due respect, those buffalo would be a pass for me. I’m not going to get into specifics, but everyone has a preference on what they are looking for.

It’s difficult to judge buffalo from just a few pictures without having the advantage of seeing them walk around. It also depends on what country and region of that country you are in when comparing buffalo. There are wide geographical variations when it comes to body and horn shape as it relates to age.

No offense meant and I hope you don’t take it that way. If it makes a difference, I would have passed on the two buffalo from the original thread as well.

Left for me for sure also! congrats on 2 nice bulls!

two very nice bulls. I prefer the one on the left.

There was a lot of interaction on yesterday's post "Which Buffalo Would You Shoot?" Most people liked the bull on the left, and some guys liked the bull on the right. A few people thought the bulls were a little young, or didn't have the dagga boy qualities they were looking for. One thing is for certain, there was no correct answer. Both are awesome bulls. To each his own.

Based on yesterday's input, I'm posting a picture of two bulls I shot within a minute of each other in the Selous several years back. I shot the one on the right first. He's almost 42" wide and has hard, wide bosses. He's a stud.

After I shot the first bull (5 shots total), the bull on the left ran off a bit, turned, stared at us, and charged. He was pissed and meant business. We had just killed his friend and he was going to exact vengeance. He got within 30 yards before I shot him. A few shots later he was finished. The two bulls fell within 30 yards of each other. It was a crazy hunt, but completely awesome!

The bull on the right is similar to the two Kenya bulls I posted yesterday - wide and heavy - although he's older than the Kenya bulls. The bull on the left is a true dagga boy. He's older than the bull on the right, his horns are worn down, the bosses are polished and starting to separate, he's losing body weight, and he was a pissed-off old bull. He's a corker. I was lucky to take two buffalo within 60 seconds that were both mature bulls, but exhibited different characteristics. Good times!

View attachment 616184View attachment 616185
Amazing and sad he died with his friend. Great story

Fantastic! Great story and thanks for sharing! (y)
I like the one on the left best. Both are just great though! I would be happy with either!

Congratulations to @Muting the Goat on the hunt.

With all due respect, those buffalo would be a pass for me. I’m not going to get into specifics, but everyone has a preference on what they are looking for.

It’s difficult to judge buffalo from just a few pictures without having the advantage of seeing them walk around. It also depends on what country and region of that country you are in when comparing buffalo. There are wide geographical variations when it comes to body and horn shape as it relates to age.

No offense meant and I hope you don’t take it that way. If it makes a difference, I would have passed on the two buffalo from the original thread as well.
No offense taken. We all know what we like. To each his own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dyls85

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.