Flying with multiple peoples firearms in one case?

Tbitty

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hunted
RSA
A buddy and I will be traveling to Canada in a month (from USA) for a bear hunt. I will be taking both a bow and rifle, and my buddy just a rifle. I have a good 2-gun hard case and separate hard case for my bow. Fwiw, we're flying Alaska Airlines both ways.

Does anyone know if we can share a single gun case for both of our firearms? I don't belive there's any reason why, from an Airlines perspective, having both in 1 case would cause any issues. However, my concern is if there is any issue on the Canadian side about the permits for entry.

Thoughts or experiences with this?

OK one of our Canadian hunters help out here.

You lose one case you got nothin. You have two case you can make a plan.Happened with a buddy of mine on a Zimbabwe Leopard/Plainsgame Hunt. We shared till the other case showed up 5 days later.

I have traveled from the US to Canada a couple of times with a rifle. I think to be legal going into Canada and also coming back into the US, you need to have individual gun cases. Be sure to have the CBP Form 4457 completed ahead of time. Place a copy of the permit and a copy of your passport photo page in your gun case. Now you can take two rifles in your name and your friend no gun and problem is solved, sort of. If you do it this way, I think there is a legal issue with your friend using a rifle you brought in.

While I've never flown to Canada for a hunt, I've driven across multiple times with rifles. If you were driving, I think you'd be fine. Flying I'm not sure. The way it has gone when I've done it, you get to border, talk to agent, pull through and park. Then you go in and show them the declaration form and pay the fee. They've never even looked at my rifle(s). So for the times I have done it, it would have never even been an issue. But, you never know with an airport.

I agree with @Gemsbok45 on this one. With you flying, I'd be afraid to get up there with no gun case at the baggage claim.

You can travel with as many rifles in a case as long as the case is airline approved and have necessary locks. You have to take each weapon out to show and match the serial numbers to Canadian officials when you go trough customs. Traveled all over the World with two shotguns or rifles in one case many times.

You can travel with as many rifles in a case as long as the case is airline approved and have necessary locks. You have to take each weapon out to show and match the serial numbers to Canadian officials when you go trough customs. Traveled all over the World with two shotguns or rifles in one case many times.

Doesn’t directly answer the OP question. Also, I have never taken my rifle with out to show the Canadian official. They acted like they could care less and just wanted a signature and the fee paid.

Doesn’t directly answer the OP question. Also, I have never taken my rifle with out to show the Canadian official. They acted like they could care less and just wanted a signature and the fee paid.
Good for you. I've traveled to Canada 5 times with weapons flying and driving, Each and every time they matched the firearms to the Canadian Non resident firearm form RCMP 5589.

Good for you. I've traveled to Canada 5 times with weapons flying and driving, Each and every time they matched the firearms to the Canadian Non resident firearm form RCMP 5589.

Fine, I am not disputing your experience. I’m just saying it doesn’t specifically address the OP question.

The OP wants to bring his and his friends rifle in same case and wants to know the legality. So two rifles, the 4457 and RCMP 5589 in each of their names. I see potential problems with this. Airport officials ask whose gun case is this. Guy #1 says it’s my case. Open it up, are both of these rifles yours? No, one is mine and one belongs to Guy #2. Let’s all go to the holding room and sort this out. Good luck with that.

One guy could pretend both rifles are his and get the 4457 and 5589 in his name and legally bring both rifles to Canada and back into the US. The potential problem with this scenario is when both guys are in the field in Canada and get stopped by a game warden or law enforcement officer. One guy is using a rifle and has no import permit.

The devil is in the details. Happy hunting!

Last edited:
I have had hunters come to Saskatchewan with all firearms in one case, But all owners were present when crossing. Bringing someone’s firearm to give to them later is a whole other issue and you should call for information.

I have had hunters come to Saskatchewan with all firearms in one case, But all owners were present when crossing. Bringing someone’s firearm to give to them later is a whole other issue and you should call for information.
This is a great sample for what I was looking for. We are on the same flight itinerary and will be 100% flying together, same rental car from Edmonton to outfitter, and back, etc. My thought was as long as both of us are present at the airport customs counter, we have two rifles, two 4457s and two 5589s all in the same case. Shouldn't be any different than driving up together.

My concern was as @375 Ruger Fan suggested. Would they Border Patrol agent have a problem with 2 people sharing 1 Case?

And if one of us claimed both guns were single ownership, the other wouldn't have a permit to possess the rifle in the field for use. Although this perhaps might not be much different than using a for hire rifle from outfitter.

I think I'll call Canadian Border Patrol tomorrow and probably follow that with an email for written documentation.

You never know what agent is going to do either in Canada or the US.

My only experience was driving across the border and the agent did everything except tear my truck apart. What should of been a 30 minute routine turned into 2 hours. And I was the only person taking a rifle across that early in the morning

@Tbitty

I’ve been to Canada at least 6 times both plane and land crossing and both with and without firearms.

I think you are asking for trouble and any money/time savings will be destroyed to the power of 10 if you encounter the typical Canadian border agent.

Now I’ll sit back and wait for everyone to say how Canadians are so nice…… not their border agents or game wardens!

Not the best idea. Why risk issues for just one less case on a big hunt?

One gun case with a gun for each hunter and it doesn't make it? Now what?

For what you are already paying for the hunt just add that extra baggage fee and don't worry.

Thanks all for the feedback.

The more I consider it, I may just leave the gun at home altogether and stick with my bow. That was always going to be my primary option, The gun was just a backup. I thought if it would be easy to pack a 2nd gun into the single case it would be nice, but I'd hate to run into a situation where border patrol services get difficult and cause issues. ... if I do decide to take a gun, I'll pack it in a separate case so we can each take our own, individually.

FWIW, to anyone who may do this in the future, I spoke with 3 different Canada Border Patrol people on this topic when we came in through Edmonton airport. I only brought my bow, but asked for future reference.

All 3 said there is no issue with 2 hunters sharing a single case for 2 rifles, as long as you're together (same flight). Both should have and will need their own 4457 and pay separately for the permit to possess rifle while I'm country.

It is still Possible you run into that 1 individual who is having a bad day or would challenge the ability to do this, but if I return under similar circumstances in the future, I would not hesitate to share a rifle case for 2 hunters. HOWEVER- DO NOT bring 1 rifle to share between 2 hunters. Not sure anyone would really try this, but they all 3 said they would not issue 2 permits for the same rifle.

Lost me on that. IMO, putting two different hunters’ guns in one case is asking for trouble. Two hunters using one gun at destination country in Africa, taken by one hunter seems like a complete non-issue. Am I missing something?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SonyaTowne

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia