Flying to Africa

wildfowler.250

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Folks, I read a recent thread where a member on here had to cancel their trip due to airline issues.

It got me thinking, how much time do you tend to give to arrive before your hunt?

I’ve got my first trip coming next year which is exciting and a bit daunting - it almost makes you want to fast forward everything else.. anyway.

I was looking to fly out direct from the uk on an overnight flight. Arrive in the morning of the day before hunt 1. Several hours drive and then hopefully should be at the venue for the afternoon - maybe some range time. Should be reasonable if all flies to plan or even if a couple of hours delay. Cancelled flights obviously not considered. It’s for an 8 day hunt and will be on the same time difference.

Would you all say that’s a reasonable plan? Or would many of you leave a full days gap before the hunt starts to hang around / factor for delays? It’s another days holiday and costs but thought it was worth asking ahead of time!

Cheers!

This is std sir
I have hosted a number of clients from europe and uk
They usually fly overnight
Collect them at the airport in the morn in the hunting area around lunch or late afternoon
Check guns and relax or do some sundowners
Ready to go the next morning

1 Day usually. My most recent trip I came 2 Days early because the flight and seats I wanted required 1 day earlier commitmen. I flew Emirates vs Delta, so because I was using unfamiliar (to me) routes and traveling with rifles I embraced the extra day as I may have needed it. I didn’t on that end. It also worked out well because I used the extra days to hunt, and visit Bullseye taxidermists to go over details for trophy mount selection and use of hippo hide… I book 3-6 months out, but have booked within 2 months of departure. I’ve booked most of my trips myself, but have also used 2 different agencies popular to AH. I also have a personal travel agent that books Mexico and Canada hunting trips for me…She also found my Emirates flights and seats to SA for me and I’m really pleased with that effort and pricing. It pays to shop and price flights -if you have time.

Trip/flight insurance seems like a reasonable idea these days…

Folks, I read a recent thread where a member on here had to cancel their trip due to airline issues.

It got me thinking, how much time do you tend to give to arrive before your hunt?

I’ve got my first trip coming next year which is exciting and a bit daunting - it almost makes you want to fast forward everything else.. anyway.

I was looking to fly out direct from the uk on an overnight flight. Arrive in the morning of the day before hunt 1. Several hours drive and then hopefully should be at the venue for the afternoon - maybe some range time. Should be reasonable if all flies to plan or even if a couple of hours delay. Cancelled flights obviously not considered. It’s for an 8 day hunt and will be on the same time difference.

Would you all say that’s a reasonable plan? Or would many of you leave a full days gap before the hunt starts to hang around / factor for delays? It’s another days holiday and costs but thought it was worth asking ahead of time!

Cheers!
I would stick with your plan. Delays can happen but you can't worry about that. Have a great trip and watch my safari planning videos to help get ready.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathyCrum

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?