Flyers

Interesting subject, till now I did not realize this sport still exists!

I didn’t either.

I thoroughly enjoy trap and skeet… and do a little sporting clays as well…

Now I am very interested in yet another shotgun sport!

Now I am very interested in yet another shotgun sport!
Be careful. I googled recent internet releases on this sport. You can guess what they look like.

Be careful. I googled recent internet releases on this sport. You can guess what they look like.
Careful of what? Yes, the bunny (pigeon) huggers would love to stop it everywhere - just like hunting. As I noted in my post, it is a perfectly legal sport in many states in the US including Texas. Private property rights are also rigorously protected in this state.

Last edited:
Careful of what?
I thought of posting movies on YT....or similar platforms.
I agree on all your above comments! (y)

Btw, there is something on YT shooting podcast about it:

Have read @Red Leg talk about these shoots before. It is definitely interesting to read about. It is one of those things I would like to try. Why would I like to try? If I were to actually do it my personality would be to jump in with both feet.

I have never met someone who was a master in all shooting sports. Meaning they could go to a pistol match win it. Then go to the 22 match and win it, then fclass, prs, trap,skeet. They are all different skill sets that require a huge amount of honing to be top of that game. Have spent a long time honing my rifle skills at the expense of the others. So for myself, this is very interesting and gives me pause of what that might do to me, haha.

[850] Achilles next offered a prize of iron for archery - ten double-edged axes and ten with single eddies: he set up a ship’s mast, some way off upon the sands, and with a fine string tied a pigeon to it by the foot; this was what they were to aim at.

[850] "Whoever," he said, "can hit the pigeon shall have all the axes and take them away with him; he who hits the string without hitting the bird will have taken a worse aim and shall have the single-edged axes."

This is extract from Iliade, by Homer. Shooting pigeon by bow and arrow.
Probably the first written evidence of shooting sports in history.

Man before firearms, has been hunting pigeons with falcons for thousands of years. My son and I were in an 1000 year old pigeon tower in Portugal this spring. Mismarked on the historical plaque it said it was for raising pigeons to placate the anti hunting folks. It was obvious that the upper rooms and tower were the release ports and the balconies from which the falconers hunted from. Here is a picture of a ancient tower
IMG_3485.jpeg

I am a self confessed addict to this sport and curious how many other like minded individuals there are on here. Pigeons have contributed to a serious reduction in my hunting activities since 2019.
I shot box birds for several years. Tons of fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoreenPeas

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]