Flight advice?

I’ve flown BA from LHR to JNB with firearms and it wasn’t bad. Can’t comment on Virgin for that route.

You’re not taking firearms so it’ll be even easier. Without the firearms you really don’t need a meet and greet service and will pay extra when you don’t need it. If the flight is packed and you’re at the back figure an hour and a half to get through but will likely be less. Your PH or someone from the Safari Company will meet you in the lobby area of the airport as you walk out. Just let them know what you’re wearing before leaving LHR.

I’m not one for flexible tickets, if there’s an issue I just deal with it. Using a travel agent can help with this.

Not too much to worry about with airlines if you’re not taking your rifles. If it were me, I would book basic economy and put the saving towards shooting another animal - that will be a better experience and more memorable than a slightly more comfortable seat. If money isn’t an issue, then fly in comfort.

It’s really not that bad a trip from the UK and no jet lag. I go most years and fly BA as I have points with them to cover the flights

I don’t know what time Virgin arrives, but BA arrives in the morning with several other airlines at the same time. It can get very packed in immigration and a long wait.

VIP, I flew business on Qatar last year. There was a group of hunters that were also business and they had VIP and pre approved gun permits. I beat them through immigration, but they beat me through the SAPS office. Pre approved get serviced first.

Last edited:
You really shouldn't need the meet & greet. They can't go into customs area so no help there. They can be useful finding a connecting flight but that won't be needed for you. Dealing with guns is what usually slows us down. PHASA (PH Assn of SA) has been my contact for guns help at airport. Aren't you being picked up at Joberg airport by your outfitter and driven to lodge? So he will be in the lobby with a placard with your name on it. Send them a photo so your PH will know what you look like. There are no shortcuts through the lines for immigration/customs. Just follow the crowd and wait your turn. It will go okay. However, last time I landed in Joberg I did not have to go through customs/immigration. Have no idea what happened. I think the entire flight entered the airport through the wrong door. Very weird. Oh well.
The amount of misinformation you put out as fact is astounding most days. The meet and greet services meet you immediately off the plane in Johannesburg. Then they take you through shortcut line at customs. It’s called VIP meet and greet and usually costs an extra $150. However, I don’t find it worth it and especially without firearms. Johannesburg customs and bag claim is almost as professional as any US or European airport I’ve seen. It also takes some time for your bag to reach baggage claim so cutting the customs line isn’t a huge advantage unless you really want someone there with you every step of the way.

The amount of misinformation you put out as fact is astounding most days. The meet and greet services meet you immediately off the plane in Johannesburg. Then they take you through shortcut line at customs. It’s called VIP meet and greet and usually costs an extra $150. However, I don’t find it worth it and especially without firearms. Johannesburg customs and bag claim is almost as professional as any US or European airport I’ve seen. It also takes some time for your bag to reach baggage claim so cutting the customs line isn’t a huge advantage unless you really want someone there with you every step of the way.
I have paid for the PHASA meet and greet guy/gal all four safaris and none of them has shown me a "shortcut" through customs. One guy seemed to have a way to get me to the front of baggage check in for connecting flight to PE when in a pinch. They helped with guns to police.

I have paid for the PHASA meet and greet guy/gal all four safaris and none of them has shown me a "shortcut" through customs. One guy seemed to have a way to get me to the front of baggage check in for connecting flight to PE when in a pinch. They helped with guns to police.

That is standard meet and greet outside baggage claim. The guys holding signs as you get off the plane are waiting for those who paid extra for VIP meet and greet. Most services offer both or will arrange both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zdfyherauy

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.
RLP wrote on professor's profile.
Good morning. I am a Ruger fan myself. Have you sold to anyone on the site before? How old is the ammo?

RLP