Flight advice?

wildfowler.250

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Right folks, I’m needing some advice from the worldly wise as I’ve got my first safari booked in for next year.

Was going to book 5 days. Guide suggested 8.. I figured it’s a long way and maybe with some bad weather to factor in as well so I booked the 8 days,(South Africa / May).

Flying from the uk, its an overnight flight and I think only 1 hours time difference.

The first days hunting is the Friday. I was going to book a flight out Wednesday evening, arrive Thursday mid morning. Bit of a drive to venue , should be at the venue maybe 5pm the night before the first hunt.

Finish up the following Friday and fly back home the Saturday evening.

Does this seem reasonable timescale wise? Should hopefully not be too bad with jet lag and even if there’s delays, should still be okay for the Friday am hunt?

Any recommendations with airlines? I’ve got either virgin or British Airways? I can’t really be bothered with the hassle of my own rifle so I’ll hire the PH’s.

I assume a flexible ticket and some travel insurance will be sensible?

I’ll be like a lost sheep. Very much like my comfort zones but also desperate to go.

Cheers!

Business or coach? If you can get a BA flight with their suit seat, I would get that. Coach, and Premium Eco, I would think Virgin service might be better.

Business or coach? If you can get a BA flight with their suit seat, I would get that. Coach, and Premium Eco, I would think Virgin service might be better.

Cheers! Tbh it depends on the cost markup. It’s been a rough year of outgoings,(getting hitched and so on). That in itself is a helpful breakdown difference though!

*actually it’ll be economy. There’s about a whole kudu difference in the flight prices. Thought it might be double but it’s 5X the price

@wildfowler.250 like you said, you are already going, so I would book 8,9,or 10 actually hunting or sightseeing days. There is more to see and do than I can describe. If you finish early, go to a national park or better yet ask your ph now for ideas for extra days. This will give you time to look things up and see what you may want to do.
Looking forward to hearing about your trip next year sir.

I’m not sure how it is in the UK now. But post Covid in the US there are no change fees except the difference in fare and if you cancel a flight the full credit is generally good for a year. I don’t see any value in flexible tickets or travel insurance on flights now. If your PH is good with it, your travel plans seem reasonable to me. I generally like a hotel stay a day before the hunt starts to recover from flights, but you aren’t traveling as far either.

You will find that with a 5 or 8 day hunt that you loose at least 1 day and perhaps even 2 days to travel. Your outfitter may have others that are staying at the lodge up until the day that you are scheduled to arrive so that can eat up a half to a whole day, and then the day that you leave it's the same thing, possibly someone else coming in where they need the accommodations. My first hunt was for 8 days and we managed to get 7 in because we were using our outfitter as a guide for a tour of South Africa for the next 10.

Also check with the outfitter to see if they are going to pick you up at the airport, that is the normal way of doing things. That way you don't have to pay the rental on a vehicle while it is just sitting at the lodge.

I'll start by admitting I have no experience with either airline. Since you won't be traveling with weapons then I would think either airline should be ok, but I'll leave the comparison to those with experience.

Good point brought up by @JimP. Is your trip an 8 total day trip or 8 hunting days trip?

An eight totals days as @JimP implied, generally means 6 maybe 6 1/2 hunting days and 2 travel days, arrival and departure, totalling an 8 day trip.

An eight hunting day trip means 8 actual hunting days plus not added arrival and departure days that equals to a 10 overall trip.

Eight hunting days should be a relaxing trip, depending on the number of animals you are planning on hunting.

What part of RSA are you planning to hunt?

The East Cape in May, from my experiences only the last 10 days of May, the weather was mild with two days getting a short period of light rain/drizzle and we still hunted.

Thereby weather shouldn't have an affect your number of hunting days.

Travel insurance is always recommended for peace of mind should unforeseen circumstances occur prior to, or during your trip. Better to have and not need than to not have and suddenly wish you had.

Cheers guys! It’s 8 days of hunting and I should hopefully get in about 10 am to Joburg the day before the hunt starts . Probably couple of hours to get through arrivals at the airport?

Then a 4 hour drive to KZN.

The main 4 were kudu , nyala , springbok and impala. Kudu being the main one but I just need to see how things go and take it as it comes.

I haven’t really factored in any sight seeing as I’ll be on my own. The friends I know who hunt can’t come and the other half doesn’t wish to come to this kind of trip which is fair enough. We’ll probably end up coming back another time for a camera safari so it’s really just an in and out to tick a life bucket list as much as anything

Nice selection of animals for a first trip.

Don't forget to keep a journal to reflect back to while you write your hunting report and later to reflect back long after.

Happy Hunting

Nice selection of animals for a first trip.

Don't forget to keep a journal to reflect back to while you write your hunting report and later to reflect back long after.

Happy Hunting

Cheers! Hopefully adding in a black wildebeest and zebra as well but I’m very much trying to look at it as a trip and not a shopping list. It’s hunting and an adventure rather than click and collect

Flown Virgin Atlantic many times with guns. It’s as full proof as it gets. Last two round trips from SFO have been in Economy Delight because I use points and have not been able to upgrade because of full flights. It’s a good seat with more room than basic economy and about the same as Premium for The price it’s the best. Normally I fly Premium economy which is a great leather seat. After the last two trips it’s not worth the extra money in my opinion if cash is an issue. I’ve flown all seats Virgin has to offer and if it’s not Business- it doesn’t matter from Heathrow!

Fly business class. Use a travel agent. Try to avoid taking guns via Europe unless you have a travel agent to assist.
Use a meet and greet service when you arrive in RSA or your destination. Worth the money to avoid lines and confusion.

As to days - 10 should be your minimum.

I have been on 15 safaris and none were ever long enough. Plus flying business or first makes the trip even easier....

Cheers! Hopefully adding in a black wildebeest and zebra as well but I’m very much trying to look at it as a trip and not a shopping list. It’s hunting and an adventure rather than click and collect

LOL....It's like going to the grocery store, you have a list of 4 needed items.....and POOF the store has enticed you to need 10 more items.

On your way to the check out you realize you haven't planned to buy this much and you begin putting back some of the extra items that you will make a later second, third, forth, etc. trip for.

For me hunting is my excuse to go to Africa, or any country. The reality is I want to see, learn, experience Africa, or any country.

It's a toss up between those airlines (I think they both suck compared to the gulf state airlines) but not sure which other airlines fly direct LHR -JNB. It's an overnight flight so you'll be sleep for most of it and you land after a leisurely breakfast.

As you will not be travelling with firearms the arrival into SA will be straight forward. No meet and great necessary, simply customs and irritation like any other passenger. You should be out with your baggage in about 1-1.5 hours.

If your PH / host is picking you up and transporting you to KZN you'll be there by late afternoon. If, for any reason. you have to overnight in JNB there are many hotels close to the airport for any budget you have. Most have regular airport shuttles or you can Uber.

As for extra days, that's up to you. It's not an arduous flight and the drive is short, especially when everything is new and unseen (I just did 1000km from Moranbah to Caloundra in a Gen2 Pajero and got out fresh as a daisy because it was all new to me, therefore exciting). You're probably going to be in the KZN midlands or northern KZN and there as a lot to see and do such as game reserves, battlefield excursions (you'll finally get to see the real Zulu battlefields instead of watching it on screen like you do every Christmas day with Michael Caine;)) and mountain trails etc so an extra day or three won't be spent bored out of your skull.

s
Right folks, I’m needing some advice from the worldly wise as I’ve got my first safari booked in for next year.

Was going to book 5 days. Guide suggested 8.. I figured it’s a long way and maybe with some bad weather to factor in as well so I booked the 8 days,(South Africa / May).

Flying from the uk, its an overnight flight and I think only 1 hours time difference.

The first days hunting is the Friday. I was going to book a flight out Wednesday evening, arrive Thursday mid morning. Bit of a drive to venue , should be at the venue maybe 5pm the night before the first hunt.

Finish up the following Friday and fly back home the Saturday evening.

Does this seem reasonable timescale wise? Should hopefully not be too bad with jet lag and even if there’s delays, should still be okay for the Friday am hunt?

Any recommendations with airlines? I’ve got either virgin or British Airways? I can’t really be bothered with the hassle of my own rifle so I’ll hire the PH’s.

I assume a flexible ticket and some travel insurance will be sensible?

I’ll be like a lost sheep. Very much like my comfort zones but also desperate to go.

Cheers!
Not traveling with firearms will make it easier on both ends and minimizes which airline to fly. I am prejudice against BA personally as they have left me high and dry too many times due to strikes or other reasons. Virgin is always a step above and I would choose them all things being equal. However, before you go I suggest a visit to your Doctor. In addition to any tick medication you would need (they can be terrible in parts of SA, check with your PH), I would get a prescription for Ambien. Helps with the flight both ways. There won't be any "jet lag" as RSA is one hour ahead of the UK.

No problems with that. Its only a hour time difference you will not notice it. Overnight flight you should get a little sleep in. I tend to use BA as the flight times are better for conecting flights for me, but not a problem for you. keep an eye on prices and just book them when the price looks good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MackPoate

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

matt2H wrote on matt vejar's profile.
Hey there Matt - i would love to understand some more about your bringing trophies home from South Africa in your checked luggage. My PH is holding onto a bushbuck euro and flatskin for me - and i am due back in South Africa in just over a week. He does have the export permit provided by the taxidermist for me. When you have a moment - could we go through the EDC Form and App? Looking forward to hearing from you.
Smo1127 wrote on duckfish's profile.
Neen doing Zelle or Venmo with other members, let me know if good for you and Ill give you my info. Im semding other orders out tomorrow so if paid today ill ship tomorrow
cwpayton wrote on Trogon's profile.
Hey trogon thanks for the shipping trophys info, so this being my first time shipping ,did you hire a firm here in the states to handle the import or was that an African firm, I would be happy with a cost around 3000+.
JG26Irish_2 wrote on 9412765's profile.
RE: Interarms Whitworth 375HH f/sale f/$850. If still available, I will buy it. I am in KY can do a face to face deal. My e-mail is:

kent.warco.llc@gmail.com or PM me here. Cell is: 606-923-3162

Your 5 hrs f/me. You travel to OH w/work. If you can be at Cincinnati, OH that 1/2 way. I can travel most days but Friday afternoons are best. Let's set up a date/time/location to meet up.
thriller wrote on Sue Tidwell's profile.
Just finished your book (audio) and ordered a hardback for my Library. You did a wonderful job explaining the way conservation works in Africa, and my wife is interested in reading your book now. Thank you for your work.