Flashlights

Standard Velocity

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
There are flashlight forums dedicated specifically to pros and cons of different flashlights but I don’t feel most understand the specific needs of hunting so I ask here.

What flashlights do you use and recommend?

I hunt primarily in the US Southeast and am looking for a light that fills the following needs:

• Small. Like an inch in diameter and 4-5 inches long.
  • Three hour + runtime at appropriate brightness to look for a deer in thick brush.
  • Appropriate throw distance/dispersion to look for a deer in thick brush (30 yards and less).
  • The fewer modes the better. Tapping out Morse code to get to the preferred setting is not ideal.
  • Removable battery. Convenient USB charging is not convenient when it dies in the field.
  • The less tactical the better.
  • Priced within the realm of reason.
  • No headlamps.
Any recommendations are greatly appreciated.

I just spent 9 months in Antarctica and 4 months of that was during the dark winter when the sun didn't rise. I learned a lot about flashlights.....

This was my favorite hand carry flashlight. Tough, water proof (submersible) uses AA batteries, simple on/off even with gloves on, fits in a coat pocket and very good light.
https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/flashlights/stealthlite/2410pl

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 12.30.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 12.30.06 PM.png
    725.5 KB · Views: 120
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 12.30.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 12.30.08 PM.png
    404.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 12.30.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-09 at 12.30.09 PM.png
    802.1 KB · Views: 114
I just spent 9 months in Antarctica and 4 months of that was during the dark winter when the sun didn't rise. I learned a lot about flashlights.....

This was my favorite hand carry flashlight. Tough, water proof (submersible) uses AA batteries, simple on/off even with gloves on, fits in a coat pocket and very good light.
https://www.pelican.com/us/en/product/flashlights/stealthlite/2410pl

This light looks pretty close to perfect. Is it good at medium throw distances?

Think there is another thread about this subject.... Maybe Wayne @BRICKBURN can pull it up

I have looked through the responses in that thread and there is some useful information. It appears you have some tough field experience with your recommendations. Would your recommendations in the other thread apply here too?

This light looks pretty close to perfect. Is it good at medium throw distances?

Yes it is good for its size. There are better but they are larger, or don't have the battery life

I have looked through the responses in that thread and there is some useful information. It appears you have some tough field experience with your recommendations. Would your recommendations in the other thread apply here too?

Yup... mine still going strong.... And if or when it gives up I will buy the same again. Easy to change batteries but also can charge using the built in port

Imo, don't spend a lot of money on flashlights. An led in a metal housing at Wal-Mart for 20-30 bucks will be more than fine.

I always liked the SureFire G2.
Takes CR123 batteries, extremely durable and has a lockout tail-cap.
The older G2's I've seen for around $30 on eBay.

The newer G2X sells for ~$45-65.
But I have no personal experience with the new ones.

+1 On the Surefire, simple, reliable.

Reactions: RTG
I always liked the SureFire G2.
Takes CR123 batteries, extremely durable and has a lockout tail-cap.
The older G2's I've seen for around $30 on eBay.

The newer G2X sells for ~$45-65.
But I have no personal experience with the new ones.

Some of the surefire can't use 16250 rechargeable batteries..... And cr123 don't last long and are expensive.... A bit like maglite surefire had the market to themselves for so long they got caught up and overtaken.... I used surefires a lot but have moved on....

Some of the surefire can't use 16250 rechargeable batteries..... And cr123 don't last long and are expensive.... A bit like maglite surefire had the market to themselves for so long they got caught up and overtaken.... I used surefires a lot but have moved on....

Yep.....with battery life about 1 hour and cheaper lights passing them up....I threw away my SureFire lights years ago

I don't use a flashlight in Africa beyond the light on my phone. I do use flashlights a fair bit in Alaska.

My preferences are Fenix. https://www.fenixlighting.com/usb-rechargeable-lights/ One of the lights I have just happens to fit in a set of 1" scope rings...that and a bottom Picatinny or Weaver mount and I have a very powerful light under the fore end of my rifle.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.21.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.21.27 AM.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 92
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.21.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.21.30 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.21.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.21.32 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 86
Small form factor, standard micro USB charging, lasts a long time, can charge in your vehicle, off a battery or at home. Six hour run time at medium intensity.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KH2JP5G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Threw this one in the trash after a month. It was a Teslacom . No longer available, I suspect for the reasons I dumped it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MT4U13R/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&
psc=1

Aside that, I use an el cheapo, ten dollar ebay headlight that uses rechargeable batteries for mucking around in the brush. YMMV.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.22.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.22.38 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.23.18 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-02-11 at 11.23.18 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 94
Thank you all for the recommendations. Some good choices to sort through.

I have a couple of headlamps and they are fine for up close (eating, skinning, crawlspace) but for walking and searching for anything I prefer a flashlight. It throws shadows and shows depth better. The headlamp places all shadows directly behind the objects making everything more 2D.

Keep em coming.

I use a head lamp and flashlight and carry both afield with extra pack of AAA or AA batteries depending on which set I carry, most of the time AAA set and pack of 8 batteries.

Walmart Carrie's a variety of lights for the field, home, car, etc. relatively cheapies (throw aways) to less expensive (better) models.

To each their own: I prefer a high beam out to several hundred feet, just in case of an emergency, and has a wide beam for searching, uses led bulb for long life and brightness. And there is always the mini mag, maglight tm, where the light cover comes off and now you have a battery operated candle in the room, tent, cabin, etc, when there is no other power.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SLo66

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg