First Shooting of Krieghoff 500/416 Double & Chapuis 30-06 Double Rifles

UpNorthMI

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Europe
I have two new to me doubles and finally got a little time on the weekend to have a quick shot, both were positive results, particularly the 500-416. Maybe I was just lucky we will see how future shooting works out.

Chapuis 30-06 with detachable scope - The gun came with a regulation target using Federal 180gn ammo, so that is what I used, range was 50 yards, I fired a total of 4 shots from sticks. the 2 right barrel shots hit within 1" of center on the 3" green dot target, the 2 left barrel shots hit about 2.5" to the left and maybe 1" lower but grouped together well (covered by white dot in the photo below). My conclusion is that this was more than acceptable, I will play around with some loads to see if anything can be done to get the left and right barrel shots tighter. Planning to use this for a couple of European driven boar hunts.

Krieghoff 500/416 Open Sights - I was shooting Norma 410gn Woodleigh solids at about 50 yards. This is the largest caliber gun I own and prior to this had shot a lot of bolt action guns in larger calibers like .338 WM and .375 H&H. I wanted a double that was in a caliber that I felt was not "too much to handle", the 500/416 kicks but I found the recoil manageable, I'm sure when I'm hunting I will not even notice the recoil. Still I will not be shooting it from the bench. My time was limited so I just had 2 shots to see how the gun felt and was curious about grouping. I fired from sticks, I needed to wear my reading glasses to be able to get a crisp sight picture, I held the front bead over the 3" bright green dot. First shot was just slightly high, second shot was still in the green circle at about 4 o'clock, maybe within 1.5" of each other. I had survived the recoil and the placement of the shots brought a large smile to my face. Maybe I just got lucky for my first couple of shots, there will be a lot more practice in the next few months. The 500/416 is a keeper and will be going to Africa next year for buffalo hunting. I'll be using some Barnes TSX bullets to develop suitable loads.

One of these guns is going out for a bit of woodland whitetail deer hunting this season!

500-416 50 Yards Open Sights 08252024.jpg

Excellent start. So glad you like the 500/416. Looking forward to your hunting reports with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AddieWhitt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa