First Safari - I’ll hunt plains game - What caliber?

I've already said on this thread my preferred bullet is a 180gr Partition or accubond in a 30-06 or preferably 300 win mag. But sense this has become a referendum on the 243. thought I'd share my experience. Bought one a few years ago in anticipation of my son beginning hunting. It has been quite lethal on pronghorn, deer, and javelina so far with 100gr Partitions. Wouldn't be my first choice for a safari but would have zero concerns killing impala sized or smaller game with one either.

For this trip, I would like to buy a nice bolt action rifle such as the Anchutz 1782 D, which comes in 6.5 Creedmoor, .308, and 30-06. What is the lowest recoiling caliber of this bunch that you would find suitable for the trip?
Dessert Eagle - after all this hooha have you got any closer to choosing a calibre?

Already lots on this thread disagreeing with you my man. The idea that “most if not all” PH would recommend larger calibers is antiquated and wrong
@Daisy
Sorry to disagree with you on a couple of things.
Most people shoot smaller calibre better than a bigger calibre.
Any shooter who has spent enough time behind the but if a rifle should be able to shoot said rifle accurately and proficiently regardless of calibre.

A PH would NOT RECOMMEND a calibre that he deems inadequate for the game hunted. They are there to make sure the client gets within range, has a good shot and an appropriate calibre and projectiles, especially on a DG hunt. A PH would prefer a client to use a gun they can shoot well than one they can't handle. They also recommend a minimum calibre with good projectiles usually .270 and above. Preferably 7 mm and bigger
They have a minimum calibre and energy requirements for a reason. You can't stung game to death with an inadequate calibre.
Just my observations.
Feel free to disagree but close on 60 years of shooting tells me a thing or three.
Bob

Most people do that on deer at home. Many more people shoot 6.5, 6, 223, 243 on deer now than the larger calibers.

The larger calibers are pretty much relegated to a few folks here.

All that said. I like large calibers too. They are fun to shoot. But in 6’5 230.

The smaller calibers do as well, or better, in the vast majority of cases.
@Daisy
When you hit an animal with a smaller calibre it may die quickly.
When you hit the same animal with a bigger calibre it imparts more shock to the system and tends to kill quicker.
You need to read Nathan Foster's actual studies of various calibres in game. It will enlighten you.
Ballistic studies by Nathan Foster. Many here have read it.
Bob

usa as big and heavy a caliber as u can shoot effectively and accurately so u are spending more time hunting and not tracking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JakeSoul29

Latest profile posts

Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles