First Safari - I’ll hunt plains game - What caliber?

I know I've posted this before, but in 2007, I ask every PH around a campfire (I think there were 7) "What rifle would you prefer that your clients bring to shoot plains game?"

Every single one of them replied "a .30/06.", without any hesitation.

That may have even been giving me a little "uphill" because a brought a .300 Win Mag and a .375 H&H, even though all were one shot kills.

If you’ve read my hunting reports or most of my opinion to the subject of rifle and caliber choice and my approach to hunting -which I’ve done my fair share of, most, if not all of it, is based on first hand experience. If I used it and it works well, i.e .243, of course I’m going to put that in my hunting report. Just like I would with my 7 REM MAG, 300 RUM, or 375 H&H and my respective bullet choices. That’s because I’ve done it, first hand, and know it works. I could give two shits about anyone else’s second hand opinion. Although, I do appreciate Bob’s commentary and low grade humor regarding the .243. I also appreciate his commitment to keeping the lessor known 35 Whelen alive for those of us to wander about. And, if Bob reports that it works for him, and supplies the proof, that’s good enough for me. He knows this about me.

I’m a solo hunter, I put my time in, report as factually as possible about my hunts and the equipment I use. I have several .30 cal rifles: to include, 30-30, 30-06, .30 Carbine, 308, 300 WBY, 300 RUM, a couple .375H&H. A couple of those are military rifles that some may have hunted with, but I don’t. Many are/were popular and a couple to include 300 RUM and 375 H&H I still hunt with.

I, like most Americans, that grew hunting and shooting, whether bird or rifle hunting, were given or loaned, there first rifle or shotgun to hunt with and those became part of their hunting experiences. For a lot of Americans and African PH’s this includes a .243, just a fact. If you ask most PH’s, they are likely to tell you their love of a .243 is based in experience hunting with it and that is what I’ve learned. It was only at the urging of my PH on my 3rd Safari, that I started using it to hunt PG with. I’ve not had one PH in my many Safaris, express anything other than great respect for the .243 because they’ve killed so many animals with it. Even on my current Safari to the point that I was told to use it on larger plains game… It’s in my hunt report. I’ll post pictures of entry, exit, and vital damage on those animals. To include pictures of heart and lungs.

For the record, I’ll use what I can effectively shoot and kill animals with, and I’ll continue to report as accurately as possible.

Side note: I bought my LH .243 Tikka, and later had it customized, to get comfortable practicing the repetitive mechanics and functions of that style rifle in preparation for my LH SAKO .375H&H, because they are the same basic design. I never intended to hunt PG with the .243 because I had a really good shooting 7MM REM MAG. I’ve taken my share of North American game with the .243 too. I have never had an animal, shot with a .243, not recovered immediately. So, I’ll continue to hunt with it because it is effective!

To each their own…

I’ve taken somewhere around 44 species of African game, even though some were duplicates or more, 2 Zebra, 3 Wildebeest, 2 Kudu, 2 Gemsbok, 4 Impala, Springbok slam, Blesbok Slam, lost count of warthog, jackal, and baboon. So, I know I have a ways to go before I become an expert on ethically hunting and killing animals. But, I’ll continue to pass on my first hand experiences in hopes that it reaches someone who may glean something helpful on their first safari…

Last edited:
@DillonG
My philosophy when teaching my son was if you think your good enough your not. Practice more.
He thought he was good but then dad showed him how to do it with fast follow up shots. He got the message and practices more.
If you want to have fun and think your good and quick try shooting simulated field shot gun when they roll 2 clays along the ground at 30 yards to simulate a pair of rabbits. Easy with a double O/U or SxS but switch out to a Mossberg 12 gauge bolt gun and it's a different story. Sorts people out real quick
Bob
Exactly, I think we get far too obsessed with caliber rather than practice.

You need to have the muscle memory, reflexes, and ability to stay focused (not necessarily calm). So go practice with a caliber that you appreciate. It doesn’t need to be the fastest, largest, newest, or oldest. It can be, but it is not necessary. Just practice more, preferably with people that are better than you.

I intentionally shoot with a group that I know is better than myself. One was a former state skeet champ. He makes me better just by being around him.

@Deepfork
I think @Rick HOlbert just returned from Africa after using his 338-06 to good effect. Ain't no Whelen but gets the job done without fuss.
Bob
In the loads I have settled on the 338-06AI is a flat shooter, but that heavy 35 Whelen bullet retains more energy. Ended up choosing the .338-06AI over the .35 Whelen is because I am a bit more comfortable with the Win M70 (338-06AI) than I am with the Ruger M77 (35 Whelen). And my 338-06AI load groups better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChanelHoll

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.