First Rigby Playdate

Swaro Z8i 1-8x24, R&M here on the forum has it hot footing its way here now.

It should arrive early next week, so will likely go boom with it on iron sights again tomorrow on sticks. Need to see if I was pushing my head over the comb some trying to brace or if still hitting left even more upright off the sticks before drifting the rear sight.
I recently got a Highland Stalker with a Swaro Z8i 1-8x24 and have a few tips that might save you some time on mounting the scope.

If you decide to use Tally rings, the low rings will not allow the bolt past the magnification ring - so at minimum get the medium rings.

If you decide to get the quick detach option on the tally rings, you will not be able to install it with the lever on the non-bolt side of the action because the boat release lever will interfere with locking down the lever on the rear ring.

The representative tally recommended installing the quick release levers on the bolt side and tightening them to be perpendicular to the barrel, in other words parallel to the rings.

I tried two other scopes before settling on the same one you got. In a nutshell, the scope needs to be set far enough back in the action so that eye relief works with the length of the stock, which is longer than most american rifles. Scopes that have an objective bell larger than the main tube don’t seem to work since there is only so far back they can be mounted.

Also be careful not to mount the scope too far back, because the rear ring can interfere with the locking mechanism on the elevation turret if it is too close. You will want to leave about a third of an inch to be able to turn that mechanism with your fingers and lock the turret.

I just thought I would pass on these things. I learned through trial and error and installing and reinstalling the rings afternoon :/

Thank you. The actions are quite different between the Highland and Big Game. All Highlands I’ve seen are round top Mauser allowing use of various mount/ring options. The Big Game are either single or double square bridge actions. Mine being a double square bridge, the mounts are essentially milled into the action and you just use detachable rings, which the set I used are from Rigby.

On the DSB actions, there is a fair amount of height built into the design so clearing the scope was not a problem. It’s close though. The bold handle will hit the swaro scope cover if I try to leave it in place.

Hope you enjoy your highland. I’m in route back from Africa now and have to say the 4.one.6 as they call it performed flawlessly on everything I pointed it at.

IMG_5177.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
All that rifle is going to do is cause you untold days of anguish and anxiety - best be rid of it! As part of my 'care in the community' policy I'll take it off your hands and, whilst taking the heavy burden of ownership upon my own shoulders, it will free you.

Seriously though, what a lovely rifle. I hope it brings you many years of pleasure.

FN

Very nice rifle and congrats on the Africa trip. Griffin & Howe is a dangerous place to have so close to my house. Thank God I can't afford 60% or more of what they have and would kill to own. They are top notch folks and the nicest people. The 416 is such a legendary round.

It was grand while it lasted. Airline is trying to either rid me of it, or send back to Griffin & Howe. My 2nd leg flight with Lufthansa as cancelled, shifted to a United flight which is who I booked with in the first place. Roller bag shows to made the flight but isn’t here in Chicago so I make connection home to Alaska. Rifle shows up as loaded on a flight to NJ. Normally don’t experience difficulties traveling, but United Lufthansa has proven a total shit show nightmare.

Thank you. The actions are quite different between the Highland and Big Game. All Highlands I’ve seen are round top Mauser allowing use of various mount/ring options. The Big Game are either single or double square bridge actions. Mine being a double square bridge, the mounts are essentially milled into the action and you just use detachable rings, which the set I used are from Rigby.

On the DSB actions, there is a fair amount of height built into the design so clearing the scope was not a problem. It’s close though. The bold handle will hit the swaro scope cover if I try to leave it in place.

Hope you enjoy your highland. I’m in route back from Africa now and have to say the 4.one.6 as they call it performed flawlessly on everything I pointed it at.

View attachment 612601
That's great to know as I have my hopes set on a Big Game next - thanks for the info and enjoy the beautiful rifle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MindyTakas

Latest profile posts

FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well
Looking for brass or reloads for 475noz2 Jefferies ammo. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Charles