First Rifle

Another classic "African" caliber is the 9.3 X 62. Ammunition is available just about world-wide and its' credentials speak for themselves. Personally I use a 35 Whelen which is ballistically the same as the 9.3 X 62 but ammo for it isn't generally / universally availabe. The other recommendations you've received i.e. the 30 -06, and the 7 X 57 are very suitable options.

If planning white tail, and elk, 30-06, or bigger brother 300 win mag.

So, we have all been advising you to buy a rifle as if you may only own one rifle. Shame on us in the USA!

I recommend to all new shooters and hunters to obtain a .22 rifle or pistol, whichever pertains to their shooting discipline. For rifle hunting, buy a .22 rifle and top it with a moderately priced scope. Then practice, practice, practice!

For fun and burning up lots of ammo and maybe developing bad shooting habits, it is hard to beat a Ruger 10/22. For a better training tool, get an older bolt action target rifle like a Remington 513. Spend a bunch more and buy Anschutz, Winchester Model 52, or 40X Remington and you will have a rifle that will last you the rest of your life!

Anyway, learn to shoot well before you hunt. Did I mention a spring cocker pellet rifle? Rumor is that someone killed a cormorant (fish eating duck) in a local pond at 50 yards with one of those. Must have been a good shot...

Good points, @Mark A Ouellette
I will follow up:
Rifleshooter, in USA, inclined to hunting should have following start up, inventory:
22LR rifle, my vote goes to Brno 2, CZ 452, CZ 455 or CZ 457, scoped, training purpose
Bolt action, Medium all round caliber, 308 win, 30-06 or similar
Bolt action, For serious game, at longer distances, like elk 338 win mag,
At list one 12 GA, OU. Sporting, or hunting configuration, for small game, and clay targets.
There is no legal limit.... so...

Thats starting inventory, then of course, in following seasons the inventory can be upgraded depending on needs.

My vote for one rifle here in the US that has readily available ammo and is great for all North America big game is the 7mm mag.
Flatter shooting than the 30-06 for longer ranges with a wide range of bullet weights.
Just my opinion that won't even get you a cup of coffee these days!

So, we have all been advising you to buy a rifle as if you may only own one rifle. Shame on us in the USA!

I recommend to all new shooters and hunters to obtain a .22 rifle or pistol, whichever pertains to their shooting discipline. For rifle hunting, buy a .22 rifle and top it with a moderately priced scope. Then practice, practice, practice!

For fun and burning up lots of ammo and maybe developing bad shooting habits, it is hard to beat a Ruger 10/22. For a better training tool, get an older bolt action target rifle like a Remington 513. Spend a bunch more and buy Anschutz, Winchester Model 52, or 40X Remington and you will have a rifle that will last you the rest of your life!

Anyway, learn to shoot well before you hunt. Did I mention a spring cocker pellet rifle? Rumor is that someone killed a cormorant (fish eating duck) in a local pond at 50 yards with one of those. Must have been a good shot...
Agreed. Luckily I was brought up with high respect for firearm safety, accuracy and confidence. And that last one only comes with practice - basically you want to trust your firearm and ammo so much that when you miss you know it's you, not the gun.
That said, I do need a .22 to allow the kids to get into shooting as well

Another vote for the 30-06. Take your time and buy a quality rifle the first time. Having a 22lr that matches the ergonomics, weight and feel of the the 30-06 would be a big plus. Good luck with it and let us know how it goes.

One more vote for the venerable and versatile 30-06. It can do it all, and if you're ever going to find ammunition on the shelf, it will be ought-six, with probably a greater selection of loads than any other caliber out there.

The 7x57 is another classic round, but try finding ammo for it (currently) could be a challenge.

Best regards,

As you are in colorado I would suggest a 300 Win mag - a little more reach than the 30-06. However, if you aren’t planning any long shots nothing wrong with the 30-06 - I’m a big fan of that cartridge as well.
If you didn’t want to overlap your 300HH and 375 I would choose a 270.

270 Win, 7x57, 7mm Rem Mag, 308 Win, 30-06, 300 Win Mag. All have easily found reloading components, all have the capabilities to take everything from pronghorn to moose if you do your job.

Hunting in the USA? 22 and 30-06 are the only rifles ever needed.

I love both the 30-06 and 308, but if i lived in Colorado and needed one rifle for that area, I’d look for a light but not too light 7mm Rem Mag. Maybe a Stainless Model 70 with the barrel shortened to 23-24”. With a good scope. NOT a very “africa” rifle, but probably closest to what the OP needs.

Another option could be a hyper light 308 like a Kimber Montana or Mountain Ascent.

50 FatMac…just kidding

35 Whelen (we can’t forget Bob’s namesake), 30-06, 308, or 270Win.

However for elk, in CO open country, 300 Weatherby (or 340) gets my nod.

I had only one rifle larger than a .22-250 for many years. It was a 7x57 and I was very happy with it.

.30-06 first, then either a .270 Win or a 7mm Rem mag. All three are very easy to find ammo for.

Kimber makes a great, reasonably priced rifle.

absolutely get a .22LR as well.

check back with this thread in 2 years and tell us how many rifles you ended up buying. Rifles are like tequila shots, they never come alone.

Hello skouperd,

Khomas Highland Hunting Safaris of Namibia, welcomes you to the greatest forum on earth.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

For someone who hasn’t shot very much in a while I’d suggest a .270 Win. for a general purpose North America hunting rifle. Although the 30-06 is a great cartridge the .270 in the same weight (or lighter) rifle will be easier on the shoulder. Light recoil leads to good shot placement. And that’s what counts.
Now, you might be thinking 6.5 CM is famous for its light recoil and it is. It’s also light on target.(if ya ask me) It’s no .270. 130,140,150,160 grain bullets from white tails to moose no problem, done it with boring reliability. While wondering around the mountains in Colorado, whatever you get, use a tough bullet so you don’t wish you had one if you need one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LenoraChap

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg