First Rifle

skouperd

Reaction score
Hunted
South Africa
Hi
I want to get back into hunting. I actively hunted as a kid growing up in South Africa, but haven't shot a hunting rifle in about 10 years ( :A Banana Sad: )

I will likely inherit a 300 H&H and a 375 H&H from my dad - hopefully not for a long time yet though - and so am looking for something else in the interim that could complement those 2.

Now this may disqualify my post as off-topic, but i'll likely not be hunting in Africa with this rifle, but rather only here in the states. Mostly deer and elk (if I'm lucky) here in Colorado, although I would love to go shoot some pigs in Texas (but for that I feel like I want that level action rifle from the new jurassic park movie)

I have heard good (and conflicting) things about the 6.5 Creedmoor, but kinda feel like I should be leaning towards a 30-06 Springfield (or maybe something lighter?)

I realize this is a massively open ended question, and so recommendations plus reason for recommending it would be great.

I think one of the major factors for me would be readily available accurate factory ammo - I will eventually reload my own, or could if I needed to (my dad and I used to do it, and he still does), but for convenience sake for now I would want to be able to buy accurate off the shelf (is possible)

Last edited:
Hi
I want to get back into hunting. I actively hunted as a kid growing up in South Africa, but haven't shot a hunting rifle in about 10 years :)A Banana Sad: )

I will likely inherit a 300 H&H and a 375 H&H from my dad - hopefully not for a long time yet though - and so am looking for something else in the interim that could complement those 2.

Now this may disqualify my post as off-topic, but i'll likely not be hunting in Africa with this rifle, but rather only here in the states. Mostly deer and elk (if I'm lucky) here in Colorado, although I would love to go shoot some pigs in Texas (but for that I feel like I want that level action rifle from the new jurassic park movie)

I have heard good (and conflicting) things about the 6.5 Creedmoor, but kinda feel like I should be leaning towards a 30-06 Springfield (or maybe something lighter?)

I realize this is a massively open ended question, and so recommendations plus reason for recommending it would be great.

I think one of the major factors for me would be readily available accurate factory ammo - I will eventually reload my own, or could if I needed to (my dad and I used to do it, and he still does), but for convenience sake for now I would want to be able to buy accurate off the shelf (is possible)
Congrats on your decision to get into hunting. Good old 30-06 Springfield. It will do anything you want short of big bears in Alaska. It has a range of bullets from 110gr to 220gr in many configurations-- a load for anything.

The 30-06 is so close to the 300H&H in effectiveness I think your just overlapping.

I would go with a carbine in 6.5 creedmore, 7x57, 270 or 308. Reasonably light and short bolt action or single shot. Remington Model7, Ruger #1, Winchester featherweight, Sako Bavarian carbine, Kimber Montana or ….

The 300H&H is so effective it’s hard to find something that’s doesn’t have direct overlap. All the listed cartridges will work on elk, especially with Barnes X or other premium bullets and be easier to shoot and get back into hunting with.

The 30-06 is so close to the 300H&H in effectiveness I think your just overlapping.

I would go with a carbine in 6.5 creedmore, 7x57, 270 or 308. Reasonably light and short bolt action or single shot. Remington Model7, Ruger #1, Winchester featherweight, Sako Bavarian carbine, Kimber Montana or ….

The 300H&H is so effective it’s hard to find something that’s doesn’t have direct overlap. All the listed cartridges will work on elk, especially with Barnes X or other premium bullets and be easier to shoot and get back into hunting with.
I hear you, I guess my problem is I don't know how long I will have to wait before I can get my hands on the 300 H&H. So maybe I need to not care that much about this choice complimenting the 300 and 375, and rather just get something that will be versatile and somewhat different from the 300.

So to your point, look at a Creedmore or 7x57 or even 308 (I grew up hunting with a 308 so I do have a soft spot for it).

For what you want, with the bullets available today, either will work very well. Expanding beyond the game you mentioned, the .30-06 will kill anything on the continent.

You put in parentheses "something light". If you're expanding beyond these two there are literally oodles and oodles that will work just peachy for the game you mentioned.

My vote of the two would be .30-06, for these reasons. It is so popular there is zero chance you won't find ammo for it in your lifetime (In as much as ammo can be found these days). Also, without handloading, if availability ever returns, you'll be able to find lighter loads for smaller stuff and heavier loads for anything in Alaska (as an example) in factory ammo. You'll be covered for anything you want to hunt here at any time, IMHO.

Other calibers... the .308 would work splendidly too for what you mention. Same thing applies: a wide range of factory ammo up and down the ladder, and it's as common as dirt with a long history. And while not perfect for really big stuff it can work. My youngest daughter killed a large brown bear with her .308. She put in a couple finishing shots just to be safe but he was effectively dead with the first. Here's the rug after we got it on her bedroom wall (my apologies... I like to brag about my baby girl)...

Best of wishes sir in your decision making. And welcome to AH.

244395584_422339302829706_7914644010392935749_n.jpg

The 6.5CM is a great deer/antelope caliber. Little light for elk. Given your criteria I'd say to look closely at a .270. Great all around caliber. If heavier then perhaps a 7mm Mag. The 06 is a great caliber but not too far behind the .300 you'll eventually get. Good luck.
Bruce

My neighbor down the street, an avid gun enthusiast and hand reloader, also recommended the 7mm RM. @TucsonFX4 and @gillettehunter do you guys know what the ammo quality and availability is for it?

Ditto on the 30-06! Darn good for most game animals.
A .280 or .280AI, or 7mm Rem magnum would also be great choices.
The .280/7mm bullets allow with enough mass for larger animals such as elk.
The 6.5's are for me below the mass threshold for anything larger than a mule deer.

I have two ultra accurate 6.5-284's. I would not use either for elk or take them to Africa. My Accuracy X 6.5-284 did a dandy job on a troublesome woodchuck yesterday. Use enough gun...

AXI Woodchuck 20220420_Reduced.jpg

757 would be a classic addition to the 300 & 375 HHs. (it's comparable to the 06 and its design, both inventors of whom shall remain nameless, LOL-was essentially copied and tweaked by the other.) I personally LOVE the 757 Ackley Improved (but also love my 06 and 300 WM.) I'd say the 300 HH is more gun than both (it's more comparable to the 300 WM or WSM). 280 AI wouldn't be a bad choice, but 7mm RM (or WSM, RSAUM although factory ammo is drying up for the latter) even better (my son has 1-it does everything well, and you'll be glad you have it on the longer shots). With the range of 7mm bullets out there today, deer/antelope ammo is everywhere, and if you hunt around you'll find the magic 160-175 grainers that'll take care of the biggest stuff in America! Good luck. What models are your Dad's guns? That's a very nice inheritance to look forward to! 'Have my G. G. Grandfather's 45 cal plains percussion muzzleloader hanging in my trophy room, w/ a pic of he and my G. Grandfather (who took me hunting at age 3). Priceless, ingrained memories!

Last edited:
Ditto on the 30-06! Darn good for most game animals.
A .280 or .280AI, or 7mm Rem magnum would also be great choices.
The .280/7mm bullets allow with enough mass for larger animals such as elk.
The 6.5's are for me below the mass threshold for anything larger than a mule deer.

I have two ultra accurate 6.5-284's. I would not use either for elk or take them to Africa. My Accuracy X 6.5-284 did a dandy job on a troublesome woodchuck yesterday. Use enough gun...

View attachment 463063
lol 'made my 264 WSM specifically for practicing on woodchucks off-season from deer, and it's just been an amazing addition for varmints/antelope/deer, until the barrel wore out after 10 years and >2,000 rounds. This is the very first outing for the gun nearly 20 yrs ago after much handloading and dialing-in, 'got a woodchuck at 550 yds and was quite proud of the new toy that'd serve me well for 10 hard years of hunting! At least you can buy factory ammo for the -284 and it's a tad easier on the barrel! Perfect gun for western deer/antelope (and it'd work on Black bear and Elk as well w/ the >.300 SD 150s-160 gr bullets out there.)

Attachments

• 070208 031.jpg
    070208 031.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 66
My neighbor down the street, an avid gun enthusiast and hand reloader, also recommended the 7mm RM. @TucsonFX4 and @gillettehunter do you guys know what the ammo quality and availability is for it?
This isn’t the easiest time to find anything specific related to ammo, but at the same time it’s pretty easy to find a variety of options in 7RM. I find it fairly easily locally and the internet is also viable for factory rounds. It is a popular cartridge throughout the US I would say.

I have a soft spot for the 7x57mm, it was my first rifle, with the proper bullets, you will not have any problems hunting almost anything.

If you go for the 6.5 CM, just don´t post it here, as some of the guys call it the "manbun cartridge" :A Stirring:

I have a soft spot for the 7x57mm, it was my first rifle, with the proper bullets, you will not have any problems hunting almost anything.

If you go for the 6.5 CM, just don´t post it here, as some of the guys call it the "manbun cartridge" :A Stirring:
Err, 6.5 Needmore. LOL

This isn’t the easiest time to find anything specific related to ammo, but at the same time it’s pretty easy to find a variety of options in 7RM. I find it fairly easily locally and the internet is also viable for factory rounds. It is a popular cartridge throughout the US I would say.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MHROdell83

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!