First handmade knife

Dawg2019

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I decided to try and make my own knife, for my birthday I picked out a Damascus blank and some ironwood scales for my wife to get me. It has taken about a month or so of an hour here, 30 minutes there, but I finally have something that resembles a knife worth posting.
IMG_9177.jpeg
IMG_9176.jpeg

Gotta love YouTube tutorials. I sanded the handle onto 2500 grit, then polished and finished with boiled linseed oil.

well done!

That looks 100x better than the first knife I made... better grind lines.. better finish on the blade and on the handles.. and a much better/practical design than my first attempt as well..

be careful.. bladesmithing can easily become an addiction... and addictions are expensive! lol..

I went from just using basic shop tools that I already had out in the garage, to owning several "industrial" quality tools in the matter of just as few years (started out with a little piece of junk harbor freight belt grinder for example.. and now Im running a pro-grade Burr King 2x72.. about the only original tool left in the shop is a cheap bench top drill press.... and thats only because I havent broken it yet or found a good deal on a better one lol)..

When I made my first knife it was mostly just out of curiosity.. I wanted to see if I could do it...

Ive now made close to 300 I think...

I dont sell knives and dont operate as a business in any way.. I just go out to the shop from time to time and "work"... Ive given away hundreds at this point (friends, family members, etc.. all get knives for Christmas, birthdays, etc. lol.. its no surprise as to "whats in the box" anymore lol)... and I have knives in every drawer in the house, in every tackle box, every hunting pack, etc..etc..

I could probably buy a couple of vintage london best rigbys if I had all the money back that I've invested in materials and equipment...

Thats not too bad. Well done mate. Now you got to make the sheath

If this is your first, I'm curious to see what number 100 will look like!

Job well done and a piece of equipment to be proud of!

I like it, I´m not an expert, but believe there is a way you can make the pattern of that damascus have more contrast.

Great job @Dawg2019

I also got the urge to give it a go.

Did my learning at the YouTube College of Technical Skills.

Made a jig up that seemed to get the job done.

IMG_6630.jpg

My home made forge wasn't effective - so I need to revisit that - or buy one - to complete the project.

forge.jpg

The hound is giving me that 'I thought 2 legs were supposed to be smart - and you can't even make a basic forge' look. :rolleyes:

@mdwest - thanks for the community service warning Dave :ROFLMAO:

Ive still got to get a decent forge.. Im still doing stock removal and then heat treating using an industrial oven... Ive considered a DIY forge.. but as weird as it sounds.. I dont trust myself with fire lol..

a jig is absolutely one of the best investments I made early on.. I was initially just drawing something out on steel and then grinding the hell out of it until it looked like a knife.. while that worked, no 2 knives were ever the same... I could get close in repeating the process, but couldnt get close enough.. it was also next to impossible to get grind lines concentric with each other..

with a jig the metal work parts of the process are MUCH easier, much more precise, and I waste a lot less material.. its paid for itself several times over..

Thats actually the direction Im probably going to go...

A basic drill press is really all I need for 99% of what I do with knives.. I just need one with a little more power than the one I currently use to make things more efficient in the knife build process..

But there have been more than a few times in the last couple of years I have wished I had a milling machine for other tasks..

I figure buy once, cry once.. and just go on and make the investment in a milling machine..

Ive actually been watching a nice one thats coming up on an auction just south of Fayetteville AR soon... I figure if I can get it for a good price, we've got a kid at UofA right now.. I could combine picking up the mill with a kid visit :)...

My guess is someone will be willing to pay a bit too much for it (Its a pro grade, industrial, small mill.. older model, but appears to be in great operating shape).. but.. if I can land it cheap, my shop will be complete :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveT

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?
Trogon wrote on Mac Baren's profile.
@Mac Baren, I live central to city of Cincinnati. I have work travel early this week but could hopefully meet later this week (with no schedule changes). What area of town are you working/staying in?
Kind regards
Ron
Read more at the link about our 40000 acre free range kudu area we will also be posting a deal on the deals page soon!
Our predator control is going very well