First Aid Kit for hunters

I carry a pretty good first aid kit in my vehicle and when I’m hunting alone in remote areas here in the states but very little overseas since I like to travel light. Safari Medic makes a great kit, and know many PH’s who do carry it in their truck or with a tracker but that’s more than I like to carry on my person.

I carry a CAT tourniquet, an Israeli Bandage w/ Quick Clot in my bino harness which ironically is often left in the truck favoring the under arm carry for my Binos. I’ve got a belt for an improvised tourniquet if necessary. I keep some super glue and duct tape/electrical tape rolled around something as well in my bino harness. My thought has always been i can improvise with a bunch of different items till getting to the truck. A more remote jungle hunt I might consider carrying a little more.

I think with all the thorns, eye injury potential is very high and noticed most don’t have anything for treatment of that. I’m almost always wearing sunglasses for this reason.

There is no cardboard in the center, so it takes up less space. There is also some sold with much smaller than normal cores like this.
View attachment 614520

OK...thanks never seen that..only ones with the centre......gorilla tape is my favourite...buy 2 or 3 rolls when overseas

I’ve carried both steri strips and super glue for laceration closure… but have replaced those options with this…

Inexpensive… super easy to use.. and super effective and fast…
That looks like a neat little kit that anyone could just throw in their Hunting pack.

Tampons are great as well --- in a case where there is a deep puncture they come out of their nice sterile package and can be inserted as a plug.

Please do not advocate the use of tampons for penetrating trauma. This has been shown ineffective by numerous medic training groups.

They apply no pressure whatsoever for bleeding and are not an effective substitute for packing with gauze and applying a wound. A tampon will simply absorb some blood and allow bleeding to continue within the wound. Gauze (standard or combat) packed into the wound at the source of the bleed aids clotting in junctional areas where a tourniquet can't be applied. After a couple minutes of pressure, apply the Israeli bandage/pressure dressing over the packing once the bleeding has stopped.

Bleeding/packing demonstration video - the video owner doesn't allow it to be played from other sites, but look up "tampons don't stop massive hemorrhage" by Crisis Medicine on Youtube.

Skinny Medic discusses the online arguments on the subject:

Last edited:
Please do not advocate the use of tampons for penetrating trauma. This has been shown ineffective by numerous medic training groups.

They apply no pressure whatsoever for bleeding and are not an effective substitute for packing with gauze and applying a wound. A tampon will simply absorb some blood and allow bleeding to continue within the wound. Gauze (standard or combat) packed into the wound at the source of the bleed aids clotting in junctional areas where a tourniquet can't be applied. After a couple minutes of pressure, apply the Israeli bandage/pressure dressing over the packing once the bleeding has stopped.

Bleeding/packing demonstration video - the video owner doesn't allow it to be played from other sites, but look up "tampons don't stop massive hemorrhage" by Crisis Medicine on Youtube.

Skinny Medic discusses the online arguments on the subject:
Interesting --- I'll have to look into that. I've not really questioned it since I first heard that advice years ago to be honest.

Interesting --- I'll have to look into that. I've not really questioned it since I first heard that advice years ago to be honest.
No worries, I'd just hate for someone to learn this the hard way!

The main reason for the pen is to wrap "duck tape" around it and take up much less space than a roll of tape. Second reason is many times just needing a pen handy for deer tags, or other things where it is handy to have a pen in the hunting bag/truck.
In the Army it was a Sharpie marker with a good wrap of tape on it so I could label a tourniquet or triage/casualty tag and also have 20+ feet of 100MPH tape handy for field expedient needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mauricejeand

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me
I've been hunting and shooting all my life in So Cal. Luckily, I've passed it on to my son who does his thing on the East coast except when we get together for some outdoor activities. I shoot just about anything that goes bang including rifle, shotgun and muzzleloaders. I've scratch-built several flint rifles and a couple of pistols and rebuilt several old muzzlestuffers for friends.