First African hunt, Tanzania and I am hooked!!

rafter3

Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I recently went on my first African safari in the Kilombero Valley area of Tanzania with Ernest Dyason owner of Spear Safaris. This was a 14 day hunt with Ernest in Kilombero North’s concession along the Ruhudji River. Ernest is an amazing pH and he has a lifelong customer as well as a friend now. Kilombero North’s concessions, facilities, and staff are absolutely amazing!! I booked this area because I thought I would only want to go to Africa one time and I wanted to go to one of the best spots there is. I need to say I did. And the statement of me going to Africa one time it’s not true. I will go back again and again I am absolutely hooked. I was able to harvest a leopard, three Cape buffalo, a Roosevelt’s sable, a crocodile, 2 lictenstiens hartebeest, a common springbok, a common waterbuck, a spotted hyena, a puku, a yellow baboon, and a hippo. I highly recommend Ernest with Spear Safaris , I also took my wife and she fell in love with Africa as well.
IMG_0743.JPG
IMG_9866.JPG
IMG_6461.JPG
IMG_1298.JPG
IMG_0316.JPG
IMG_0346.JPG
IMG_6103.JPG
IMG_6086.JPG
IMG_6885.JPG
IMG_1085.JPG
IMG_1074.JPG
IMG_1242.JPG
IMG_1326.JPG
IMG_1595.JPG
IMG_0308.JPG

Last edited:
Congrats on some really nice trophies. Sounds like you kept yourself busy for those 14 days. We would love to hear more details of the hunt. It looks like you had a blast...

Congratulations :D Beers:

Ernest is indeed a pleasure to hunt with. A true professional. I have enjoyed seeing his pics from that part of iconic Africa. Congratulations to you!

Congrats on some really nice trophies. Sounds like you kept yourself busy for those 14 days. We would love to hear more details of the hunt. It looks like you had a blast...
It was something else, just as wild and remote as I could have imagined! The buffalo hunting was a blast and I am hooked on that, I already got a Merkel .500 double rifle to chase some next year for added thrill!! I also just posted in this forum my wife's daily journal she has more and better words than I do and its a quite entertaining read, she's hooked also and will be pulling gthe trigger next year as well on some plains game.

Hell of a start to hunting in Africa.

Congratulations to you both.

I recently went on my first African safari in the Kilombero Valley area of Tanzania with Ernest Dyason owner of Spear Safaris. This was a 14 day hunt with Ernest in Kilombero North’s concession along the Ruhudji River. Ernest is an amazing pH and he has a lifelong customer as well as a friend now. Kilombero North’s concessions, facilities, and staff are absolutely amazing!! I booked this area because I thought I would only want to go to Africa one time and I wanted to go to one of the best spots there is. I need to say I did. And the statement of me going to Africa one time it’s not true. I will go back again and again I am absolutely hooked. I was able to harvest a leopard, three Cape buffalo, a Roosevelt’s sable, a crocodile, 2 lictenstiens hartebeest, a common springbok, a common waterbuck, a spotted hyena, a puku, a yellow baboon, and a hippo. I highly recommend Ernest with Spear Safaris , I also took my wife and she fell in love with Africa as well.View attachment 638554View attachment 638555View attachment 638556View attachment 638557View attachment 638558View attachment 638559View attachment 638560View attachment 638561View attachment 638562View attachment 638563View attachment 638564View attachment 638565View attachment 638566View attachment 638567View attachment 638568
Congrats, @rafter3, it looks like you came out of the gate going wide open!

I recently went on my first African safari in the Kilombero Valley area of Tanzania with Ernest Dyason owner of Spear Safaris. This was a 14 day hunt with Ernest in Kilombero North’s concession along the Ruhudji River. Ernest is an amazing pH and he has a lifelong customer as well as a friend now. Kilombero North’s concessions, facilities, and staff are absolutely amazing!! I booked this area because I thought I would only want to go to Africa one time and I wanted to go to one of the best spots there is. I need to say I did. And the statement of me going to Africa one time it’s not true. I will go back again and again I am absolutely hooked. I was able to harvest a leopard, three Cape buffalo, a Roosevelt’s sable, a crocodile, 2 lictenstiens hartebeest, a common springbok, a common waterbuck, a spotted hyena, a puku, a yellow baboon, and a hippo. I highly recommend Ernest with Spear Safaris , I also took my wife and she fell in love with Africa as well.View attachment 638554View attachment 638555View attachment 638556View attachment 638557View attachment 638558View attachment 638559View attachment 638560View attachment 638561View attachment 638562View attachment 638563View attachment 638564View attachment 638565View attachment 638566View attachment 638567View attachment 638568

Edit: I had a typo it was a common reedbuck not springbok!!!

Congratulations on an epic safari! You chose wisely, as both Ernest and KNS are very good. Tanzania is a special place, indeed.

Great animals, head to Tanzania next year. I hope that I am as successful as you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KrystynaBl

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]