First .375H&H, what to avoid?

it is easy to get carried away with 375.
one creek some go up is thinking one will take you on a successful tented safari in the 1930s.
it won't.
and those old guns from that time were still evolving in design for scope use and recoil handling.
if you buy one it will require restocking to achieve full potential.
next trap is to think you need a light 375.
if you get one it will teach you that you made a mistake.
all boiled down, newboomer gives good advice.
get a win m70, put a scope on it that does not go over 9 power in readily available mounts, and go shooting.
bruce.

I just got my first .375 few months back and I went with a sort of cheap one to start with because I figured it was gonna lead me to the next slightly more expensive rifle if I liked the cheaper one. I got an Interarms whitworth for $650 and put a 3-9 Leupold on it that was collecting dust. Triggers not a thing of beauty but won't take much to make it better. I really like it so if you could get your hands on one of them they are good and won't break the bank quite as bad as some others.

Welcome Ukfingers! Don't forget the Ruger No1 in 375H&H, a true classic that absolutely fits the bill. For your budget you should get the rifle plus a really good scope like a Leica or Swaroski. I couldn't be happier with my Ruger, it has taken zebra, impala, buffalo, warthog and sable, it doesn't get much more versatile than that!

Ditto..i love my #1 in 375h&h. Points fast.

it is easy to get carried away with 375.
one creek some go up is thinking one will take you on a successful tented safari in the 1930s.
it won't.
and those old guns from that time were still evolving in design for scope use and recoil handling.
if you buy one it will require restocking to achieve full potential.
next trap is to think you need a light 375.
if you get one it will teach you that you made a mistake.
all boiled down, newboomer gives good advice.
get a win m70, put a scope on it that does not go over 9 power in readily available mounts, and go shooting.
bruce.
You spoil all the fun, and here am I waiting for my .375H&H to magically take me back to 1930 for a tented safari.

Well, I guess I could google "The Ghost and the Darkness" and sit back with a beer and enjoy the movie, close as I'm gonna get to hunting Lion.

I hope the OP finds a nice .375H&H , for his nostalgia trip. Dreams are free and we are free to dream.

As far as hunting with a .375H&H . I think nearly any thread on here regarding the .375H&H will contain the word versatile.

Go live your dreams.

I'm sure most here will know the story of The Man-eaters of Tsavo.
I think the book was named "The Man Eaters of Tsavo " later released as a movie the Ghost and the Darkness.

Having Dreamed of Africa and DG hunting growing up in Australia I really enjoyed the movie.

If you choose one with a wooden stock make sure the stock was not meant for a lighter caliber. ages ago my first 375 was not and it developed a recoil caused split behind the tang. After having it fixed twice I sold it. Currently i have two with pre 64 Winchester actions with great custom stocks, one by Ike Ellis and the other by John Bolliger. Both have seen tough use all over Africa for decades with no problems what so ever.

Get a Safari Express. They have two crossbolts, a bbl mounted sling stud and weight enough to mitigate most of the recoil with a Decelorator pad. Mine is about 11lbs scoped and loaded.

I'm sure most here will know the story of The Man-eaters of Tsavo.
I think the book was named "The Man Eaters of Tsavo " later released as a movie the Ghost and the Darkness.

Having Dreamed of Africa and DG hunting growing up in Australia I really enjoyed the movie.
Last year my gun shop had No9 in Rigby's Big Game Savo Collector Series, obvioucly in 375H&H. Beautiful wood, lion engraving on the base plate and a few other Tsavo touches. Very impressive bolt rifle crying out for a lion hunt. Big price though!

My only advice is don't read to much...your 375 will turn into a 416 and that will turn into a 458 then...

I would say if you give an honest budget you will receive the best advice. Along with what your plans are for it, DG? Or is this a want? Open sites or do you want to scope it?
Yeah, don’t do it! Inline6 is right. There’s a long, sad line of people here on AH, including myself, who bought a .375 (gateway large bore) and now have larger bore rifles. After the .375, it’ll be a .416 or maybe a .458WM. But then, since the recoil of those is tolerable, you’ll be yearning for a heavier recoiling rifle. What is my recoil limit you ask yourself? Now, it’s too late. Next will be a Lott, .500 Jeffrey or .505 Gibbs or maybe a .500 NE in a double. Get out while you can! Go to a long range shooters forum and don’t look back! Ha! Ha! Ha!

Yeah, don’t do it! Inline6 is right. There’s a long, sad line of people here on AH, including myself, who bought a .375 (gateway large bore) and now have larger bore rifles. After the .375, it’ll be a .416 or maybe a .458WM. But then, since the recoil of those is tolerable, you’ll be yearning for a heavier recoiling rifle. What is my recoil limit you ask yourself? Now, it’s too late. Next will be a Lott, .500 Jeffrey or .505 Gibbs or maybe a .500 NE in a double. Get out while you can! Go to a long range shooters forum and don’t look back! Ha! Ha! Ha!
I do that too...it's just as addictive. How much recoil I can handle is just replaced by how tight of a group can I shoot at 100? Then 300 then 1k and the next thing you know you are looking for that hit at 1760 ( 1 mile).

The good part is you are not alone.

Having got 'permission' for a 375,
What does it take in UK to ger permit for large bore rifle, like for African safari, or even for hunting in UK (also big bore)?

What does it take in UK to ger permit for large bore rifle, like for African safari, or even for hunting in UK (also big bore)?

There are only 3 reasons for having any firearm more powerful than a 12 ft lb air-rifle

1. You belong to an approved shooting club and intend to use ''what ever you are applying for'' for target shooting.

2. You intend to use it for vermin control and/or deer stalking - you must have, (or have permission to shoot on) suitable land. An assessment will be made as to the suitability of the calibre requested, and your experience and the suitability of the land.

3. Foreign use - e.g. Africa hunting, boar in Europe etc etc

It is possible that your firearms might be used in all three capacities

For medium calibres (typically 9.3 and above) you have to provide evidence of intent to use it abroad as your primary 'good reason'. You will not be granted a heavy calibre primarily for stalking in the UK as it will not be considered suitable.

Having demonstrated your intent to use a .375 (for example) abroad, it is possible that your license will be extended to stalking and zeroing and practice on suitable land here in the UK

It is not ''a given'' though - I run a DG course here in the UK for owners of medium calibres and above. Some people have been unable to attend as their firearms license has restricted them to using their rifle only abroad - not even being allowed to practice or zero in the UK. Fortunately that is becoming rarer.

A problem also comes if, at time of renewal of your license, you cannot prove that you have used it abroad, or can't show intent to do so. Under those circumstances you might find the permission to hold the rifle is revoked

@bowjijohn
Thanks for answer. (for which I can not, press "like" button). Instead of "like", I can say, your answer appreciated.
Tough situation indeed.

There are only 3 reasons for having any firearm more powerful than a 12 ft lb air-rifle

1. You belong to an approved shooting club and intend to use ''what ever you are applying for'' for target shooting.

2. You intend to use it for vermin control and/or deer stalking - you must have, (or have permission to shoot on) suitable land. An assessment will be made as to the suitability of the calibre requested, and your experience and the suitability of the land.

3. Foreign use - e.g. Africa hunting, boar in Europe etc etc

It is possible that your firearms might be used in all three capacities

For medium calibres (typically 9.3 and above) you have to provide evidence of intent to use it abroad as your primary 'good reason'. You will not be granted a heavy calibre primarily for stalking in the UK as it will not be considered suitable.

Having demonstrated your intent to use a .375 (for example) abroad, it is possible that your license will be extended to stalking and zeroing and practice on suitable land here in the UK

It is not ''a given'' though - I run a DG course here in the UK for owners of medium calibres and above. Some people have been unable to attend as their firearms license has restricted them to using their rifle only abroad - not even being allowed to practice or zero in the UK. Fortunately that is becoming rarer.

A problem also comes if, at time of renewal of your license, you cannot prove that you have used it abroad, or can't show intent to do so. Under those circumstances you might find the permission to hold the rifle is revoked
sounds like, based on that, for now the o.p. needs a m70 7mm rem mag.
it would handle all the deer and other species in hand with bullets from 120 gns to 175 gns, out to any sane range for hunting, without 300 gn bullets ricocheting god knows where.
then when the time comes to go to africa, buy a m70 375, a gun already familiar with, and take both to the dark continent.
bruce.

Isn't the Sako 85 the one with the "ejecting into the spent case into the scope" issue... If not then carry on. (Don't all go ape if I have it wrong or have maligned your favourite rifle ;))

Does sound like a good buy for the price, especially if you have a 2K budget.

sako 85 in the U.K. available with or without optics, and next to no prior use! Problem solved.
C907C006-56AC-4723-A422-F01732D66B35.jpeg

Isn't the Sako 85 the one with the "ejecting into the spent case into the scope" issue... If not then carry on. (Don't all go ape if I have it wrong or have maligned your favourite rifle ;))

Does sound like a good buy for the price, especially if you have a 2K budget.
Never had that happen with this one

Call me superstitious...but I would never consider a .375H&H without controlled claw feeding aka Mauser or Mauser derivative...my 2 cents..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucyLyall

Latest profile posts

TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]
Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa