Female PH

Sandra Mas is a Spanish Outfitter, owner of Kambako Executive Lodge in Modimolle RSA.

She started as a PH in Zimbabwe, and then moved to RSA.

Not easy from what she told me, but it can be done, go for it and good luck !

As a young female wanting to become a PH would it make it slightly harder for me getting an apprenticeship and i would be moving from the uk to africa.

Yes i am a woman but i’m not exactly small and petite i am 5,8 or 5,9 weigh 12 stone and built like a brick house haha. I have hunted my whole life and always loved getting dirty, no not you’re average woman.

I only question, as female PH’s are not really heard of and being a PH is manly knows as a man’s job.
@ellie 124
It may be harder for you to get your PH licence. All you can do is inquire and follow your dreams.
I for one would have problem hunting with a woman PH.

Unfortunately in our society it is hard for a woman to break thru the glass ceiling in a male dominated role. Women have to work twice as hard to prove they are half as good as a man. This is despite the fact they are just as good.
My mums philosophy was
" a woman's place is where ever the bloody hell SHE wants it to be."
Good luck in your endeavours.
Bob

As Kevin mentioned my wife Liesl is one of two Zimbabwe PHs. Was it hard for her becoming a Zimbabwe PH? In one word, yes.

You will also have other obstacles to overcome besides the normal obstacles. Such as residency or citizenship, work permit, drivers license. Make a decision on which country then work on the other obstacles.

We will assist you in any way that we can. Lon & Liesl
@Tokoloshe Safaris
Lon & Liesl that is a very kind offer that I'm sure @ellie123 will look at.
It's good to see their are still those that will help a young person achieve their dreams or at the keast give it a good go.
Bob

1661851775319.png

Cassidy Caron
for example.
She runs Compass Mountain Outfitters in BC
Look her at Facebook or so.
Follow your dreams,hear at your inner voice.
I haven't done it :unsure:

Perhaps you'll actually benefit from a desire for diversity......hope so...best of luck................FWB

I suspect that the biggest hurdle is getting a work permit

I have been warned that the young lad who I’m putting through the FGASA apprentice guide course, is unlikely to get a work permit

priority is understandably given to SA Nationals

An employing company has to make a case that a foreign applicant has important skills / qualifications that can’t be found domestically

things like being multi lingual (French, German, Spanish, Italian etc etc) in order to better work with foreign visitors. Or graduate / post graduate quals in a related field

If I were pursuing this route I’d have a three pronged attack

1. look at routes to residence
2. Develop a skill set that makes me more employable than my competitors
3. Establish a relationship with a hunting company - do any voluntary work that gets a foot in the door

I do wish you well

j

@ellie123 … life is an ever evolving challenge so don’t stop the dream & keep on tracking … many on AH will be excited to hear your progress!

Happy Trails

It makes no difference to me whether my PH is a male or female, as long as they are good at the job. I wish you luck and would encourage you to follow your dream and make it a reality.

hah i think it depends on wear you go on being a farm worker as in the uk farmer aren’t paid a lot of money but i think say in new zealand and certain areas in the US are paid very highly
@ellie 123
I owe you a big apology
In post 43 I said I would have a problem hunting with a woman
Nothing could be further from the truth.
I would have NO PROBLEM hunting with a woman.
The brain was working faster than the fingers can type
Bob

I never judge a hunter by their sex, but rather by their safety consciousness, their shooting ability, their general attitude and whether they are a good companion. The only person who can Judge whether you can become a good ph is you. If you think you can, you can. If you think you can’t, well you have your answer. Go for it and good luck in your quest. The hunting community can certainly use more women in the position.

I know one from RSA and would have no problem hunting with her. Experienced, able, knowledgeable, conscientious and dedicated. I'd think there should be a fairly large niche in the business for female PHs. The hunting community needs more participation by all.

If I ever hunted bears it would be with Tia Shoemaker. If Mike Angelides were not available for Buffalo in Tanzania I would hunt with Natasha Illum Berg absolutely no question. Both of these hunters’ reputations speak for themselves.

Go for it!

1st step find out which countries will allow foreign residents to acquire a valid PH license.
South Africa, Botswana and Namibia will only hand out valid permits licenses to local residents/citizens I am not sure on Zim, Zambia and Mozambique.

As Kevin mentioned my wife Liesl is one of two Zimbabwe PHs. Was it hard for her becoming a Zimbabwe PH? In one word, yes.

You will also have other obstacles to overcome besides the normal obstacles. Such as residency or citizenship, work permit, drivers license. Make a decision on which country then work on the other obstacles.

We will assist you in any way that we can. Lon & Liesl
Liesl has tamed many a buffalo, including Lon!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveG585

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia