Feedback on African two gun battery for Cape Buffalo and other

You're talking about a very big head! And boiler room vitals the size of a boxcar ... literally. There's a reason elephants are preferably shot in the head. Heart and lungs are too big. You won't be saving the skull for a euro mount and lots of hide on the head for taxidermist to patch up. With that long neck it is unlikely a head shot would have an exit anyway as all the impact energy is absorbed in whiplash.

It's my understanding most outfitters prefer giraffe be dropped near a road so heavy equipment can be used to remove the quarters. They will want it dropped on the spot.
I got this from Nick Bowker Safaris and seems to echo other PH instructions for shooting giraffe:

Shot placement must be in the bottom third of the animal directly above the front shoulder. This will ensure a heart or lung shot. Avoid head and neck shots, which are high-risk.

Also recommended 375 H&H as minimum. I think a 9.3x62 would work fine but I’d probably use 416 Rigby. Heart/lung shot into the vitals with either should work fine. I can’t say it’s a must have game animal, but the hide would make a beautiful rug.

At least convert that 375 ultra doodaa thingy...into something nice .......just saying
Well I would be willing to trade it straight up for a “ Best” W.J. Jeffery & Co 404! :LOL:

As I’ve said many times a 300 Win Mag and 458 Lott will cover everything and allow for redundancy. Perfect R8 configuration.

HH
Sage advice. In a different time and place, I’d have downsized the some 40 odd big game hunting rifles I currently possess and have a couple R8’s with various barrels instead.

Sage advice. In a different time and place, I’d have downsized the some 40 odd big game hunting rifles I currently possess and have a couple R8’s with various barrels instead.

Shit stop talking sacrilege.....no no no to R8 things.....I can't even stand the audi R8..... :D Beers:

Can't go wrong with the choices you have, but I would buy a lower power scope for the .416 rigby.
Agreed, a Zeiss or Swarovski 1.5-6 variable would be a more fitting scope for the 416 Rigby. I’ll trade you my scratched up 3-9x40 Zeiss Conquest I have currently mounted on it for one! :LOL:

Shit stop talking sacrilege.....no no no to R8 things.....I can't even stand the audi R8..... :D Beers:
Well, I must confess, I’ve never even handled a Blaser R8, but then again I’ve never driven a Porsche or er Audi either! I do like German engineering, beer, food and their sense of humor (none)!

You're talking about a very big head! And boiler room vitals the size of a boxcar ... literally. There's a reason elephants are preferably shot in the head. Heart and lungs are too big. You won't be saving the skull for a euro mount and lots of hide on the head for taxidermist to patch up. With that long neck it is unlikely a head shot would have an exit anyway as all the impact energy is absorbed in whiplash.

It's my understanding most outfitters prefer giraffe be dropped near a road so heavy equipment can be used to remove the quarters. They will want it dropped on the spot.
Are you bored??
I suggest you check in with your GP, it may be time to change your meds.....the bs is coming out your finger tips again......

Another vote for a 30 cal, either a 300 Winchester Magnum or 30-GOV-06. Either one in a pre-64 M70 would be ideal and as classic as the Rigby.

Keep to hunting the Eastern Cape and voice your concerns about hunting there with your wealth of information.

The 9.3 would be the great 2nd rifle on this hunt and your Giraffe will be taken around 50-100 yards.
Just bring proper bonded bullets for the girraffe or go with the 416 Rigby. A big bull will be twice the weight of a dagga boy and they have thicker skin over the vital area than a muddy caked buff.

Sounds like quite a hunt buff bull, cow and giraffe they are all going to be an experience.

first off great chocie in ammo, I'm a big beliver in Barnes bullets.
For this hunt I would honestly just take the one rifling being the 416 no need to take both a 375 and a 416 or the 9.3x62 anda 416 they all work very similar now I know some data shows diffrent on paper but for the list of species your after it doesnt make much diffrent. Now I would take the rifle your most comfortable with and can shoot the best. But I would make it much easier on yourself and just pick one rifle to take.
Good luck on the hunt in 2026 and even better luck convincing your wife about the trip this year.

first off great chocie in ammo, I'm a big beliver in Barnes bullets.
For this hunt I would honestly just take the one rifling being the 416 no need to take both a 375 and a 416 or the 9.3x62 anda 416 they all work very similar now I know some data shows diffrent on paper but for the list of species your after it doesnt make much diffrent. Now I would take the rifle your most comfortable with and can shoot the best. But I would make it much easier on yourself and just pick one rifle to take.
Good luck on the hunt in 2026 and even better luck convincing your wife about the trip this year.
Really appreciate your perspective and everyone else’s too. With buffalo being the primary quarry and relatively few other animals, it makes sense to only take the 416 Rigby, I realize that but being a rifle nut I’ve considered a second rifle! In addition to the 9.3x62 and 375 RUM, I have a dozen other hunting rifles in various calibers from 270 through 300 magnums to choose from. We’ll be flying to Johannesburg then a short flight to Hoedspruit so only hunting SA, which I figure taking 2 rifles won’t be too much trouble. But, very valid points, only one is needed.

Yes due to brothers business commitments, he can’t go sooner than our booked July 2026 date but still trying to convince my wife in letting me go this summer for just cow Cape buffalo with Derian Koekemoer Safaris. She doesn’t want me going by myself plus short notice!

Really appreciate your perspective and everyone else’s too. With buffalo being the primary quarry and relatively few other animals, it makes sense to only take the 416 Rigby, I realize that but being a rifle nut I’ve considered a second rifle! In addition to the 9.3x62 and 375 RUM, I have a dozen other hunting rifles in various calibers from 270 through 300 magnums to choose from. We’ll be flying to Johannesburg then a short flight to Hoedspruit so only hunting SA, which I figure taking 2 rifles won’t be too much trouble. But, very valid points, only one is needed.

Yes due to brothers business commitments, he can’t go sooner than our booked July 2026 date but still trying to convince my wife in letting me go this summer for just cow Cape buffalo with Derian Koekemoer Safaris. She doesn’t want me going by myself plus short notice!
You might want to consider taking a second gun with more reach than 416. I always take my 30-06 but a couple of special animals popped up on my second safari way out of its range. Fortunately, my PH brought along his 270 WSM culling rifle. It worked nicely on a black wildebeest at 370 yards and kudu at 440 yards. Taking two guns is really no more trouble than taking one ... if they fit in one case.

Keep to hunting the Eastern Cape and voice your concerns about hunting there with your wealth of information.

The 9.3 would be the great 2nd rifle on this hunt and your Giraffe will be taken around 50-100 yards.
Just bring proper bonded bullets for the girraffe or go with the 416 Rigby. A big bull will be twice the weight of a dagga boy and they have thicker skin over the vital area than a muddy caked buff.

Sounds like quite a hunt buff bull, cow and giraffe they are all going to be an experience.
Thanks! We very much look forward to our return to Africa, will have been almost 30 years! For giraffe, I would most likely use my CZ 416 Rigby with 400 grain Barnes TSX, plus I’m getting great accuracy with them.

You might want to consider taking a second gun with more reach than 416. I always take my 30-06 but a couple of special animals popped up on my second safari way out of its range. Fortunately, my PH brought along his 270 WSM culling rifle. It worked nicely on a black wildebeest at 370 yards and kudu at 440 yards. Taking two guns is really no more trouble than taking one ... if they fit in one case.
I do not believe this area of Limpopo offers the longer shots like the Eastern Cape but I have considered a 300 magnum, I own several. Those were my thoughts, may as well bring 2 rifles since I have a 2 gun pelican case.

My proposition:

.416 Rigby for the pair of Cape buffalo & the giraffe
9.3x62mm Mauser for everything else

Or you could just go the Harry Selby route and use the .416 Rigby for everything.
Excellent advice sir. I’m also somewhat of a sentimentalist, these both are classic African calibers (of course 375 H&H perhaps the most classic) and for me at least, I get enjoyment using historical and traditional calibers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KoreyFusco

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

T/C wrote on Dewald's profile.
Hi Dewald,
I am looking for a copy of Wright's "Shooting the British Double Rifle" (3E).
Please PM me (T/C) if you still have one.
Thank you very much in advance!!!
I am game for a meat and eat. My attempt at humor.
rigby 416 wrote on rifletuner's profile.
Come from cz like that.
John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg