Favorite Lubricants 2023?

61Nv81HQp5L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg
Available in five-gallon jugs for college students.

I use 3-in-1 oil for external protection on my guns. Very little if any lube on internal parts. Clean with Hoppes #9.

Bore Tech line of cleaning fluids, silicon cloth for metal, tri flo lube

Thanks. Will try to find some.

I don't know the first thing about modern winchester 70s, but I would assume they are polyurethane (plastic) finishes. I'd be delighted if it turned out I was wrong, but I can't imagine a gun at that pricepoint being oil finish due to costs.

Why that matters: Oil doesn't stick to plastic. If its poly or other spray on finish, you can't easily repair or restore it, all you can do is try to protect it while it lasts. Renaissance Wax on a fine cloth will waterproof it and provide modest scratch resistance.

Always be certain what the finish is before you put anything on the wood finish.

So here’s the non sequitor of the day:

My wife and I were discussing good smelling vs bad smelling gun lubricants today. My house is in the woods and is loaded with exterior French doors that stick due to sweating, debris, etc. So I used ballistol on them so the wood on wood binding is a lot less and so the internal mortise locks and dead bolts glide.

At any rate, we find ballistol to smell like vomit. It’s gross, even though a lot of people think it smells pleasant.

My wife states that Kroil and Classic Doubles brands smell like manly cologne.

So there you have it, fragrance matters as much as its application.

At any rate, we find ballistol to smell like vomit. It’s gross.

Concur!

I use ballistol quite a bit… my nasal passages hate me for it…

A filthy feral hogs anus smells more pleasant than ballistol…

You may be right, but i am pretty sure there is no plastic finish on the M70 that i have. Looks and feels like an oil finish. Maybe i am wrong.
I don't know the first thing about modern winchester 70s, but I would assume they are polyurethane (plastic) finishes. I'd be delighted if it turned out I was wrong, but I can't imagine a gun at that pricepoint being oil finish due to costs.

Why that matters: Oil doesn't stick to plastic. If its poly or other spray on finish, you can't easily repair or restore it, all you can do is try to protect it while it lasts. Renaissance Wax on a fine cloth will waterproof it and provide modest scratch resistance.

Always be certain what the finish is before you put anything on the wood finish.

My wife loves the smell of Hoppe's 9 and Kroil.

Neither of us can stand PB Blaster (penetrating oil) or Balistol...vomit incarnate. Doesn't mean it that these products don't work very well. Just that we can't stand them.

It's good to have the same palate when it comes to firearm cleaning products.

Concur!

I use ballistol quite a bit… my nasal passages hate me for it…

A filthy feral hogs anus smells more pleasant than ballistol…

The worst assault on my olfactory system I've had to date was the day I had to skin and gut 13 emus. I have a pretty robust stomach but I could only make it about halfway through each one before I had to step out of the kill room in to the fresh air to catch my breath before going back to finish. Wretched (but tasty) creatures!

That said, I don't find Ballistol all that offensive. I'll take your word on filthy porcine balloon knots...

My wife loves the smell of Hoppe's 9 and Kroil.

Neither of us can stand PB Blaster (penetrating oil) or Balistol...vomit incarnate. Doesn't mean it that these products don't work very well. Just that we can't stand them.

It's good to have the same palate when it comes to firearm cleaning products.
My son gave me a Hoppes #9 car air freshener; one of the best aromas known to man! Second only to bacon!
Hoppes #9 works well in gun bores as well, even the new formula. I also use Kroil some as well. Graphite has been my preferred action lube for years.

For my own use I like sourmash. For guns I use Ballistol or sperm whale oil.

Bore Tech Eliminator an JB Bore paste to get most of the copper and carbon out of the barrel.

A thin film layer of Eezox on the outside to prevent rust

Butch's Gun Oil and/or Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner

A few new/ interesting names..When I get back I’ll have a few products to check out. In the SEA airport lounge right now anxiously waiting for my flight! Hopefully have a nice trip report in a few weeks;)

I am curious as everyone’s current favorite Cleaners, Lubricants, and Protectants. I was particularly interested in this crowds’ opinions on outside barrel protectants. I always wondered how those pretty double barrels held up to the sweat of daily African carry.

I have been tempted to put a light coating of Linseed or tung oil, like I do many of my hand tools, but figure there must be some product that is tough, dry and feels good in the hand.
@channelcat
For outside protection in all climes I use Gilleys gun wax on all metal and timber parts repells water and dust. All internals protected by INOX.
Bob

This thread has wandered around the target zone a bit :)

For universal basic parts lube and corrosion preventive I use-- Gunslick Ultra Lube, MPro7 or CLP. They all seem comparable. I use whichever one is handy on the bench when needed.

For bolt lugs-- small dab of synthetic grease on rear face of each lug.

For parts that should not be lubed with oil or grease-- graphite dry lube.

For basic smokeless bore cleaning-- usually Hoppes 9 with brush and let soak, repeat if necessary. Swab bore with clean patches when done then light swab with one of the lubes/preventatives mentioned for storage.

For black powder bore swabbing while shooting-- ballistol mixed with water (moose milk). For end of day cleanup after black powder- hot soapy water then hot clean water then dry then swab with one of the lubes/preventatives mentioned.

For wood preservation-- Renaissance Wax.

Last edited:
Hornady OneShot, I recently started using is and I’m very happy with the results. I struggle with rust and this sorted it out. I also use Ballistol including on wood.

Q20/WD40 for shotguns barrels and regular vaseline to lube shotgun actions (if it’s good enough for Purdey, it’s good enough for my guns).
@RockSlinger404
Vaseline should be kept away from firearms. It attracts dust and crud and gums things up.
I was once told Vaseline is only good for battery terminals, things that taste like battery terminals and lubrication of said area as well as some marine applications.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JamelMacCu

Latest profile posts

DEAR SIR/MADAM,
DO YOU NEED FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE?
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR FINANCE TO ENLARGE YOUR BUSINESS?
WE HELP INDIVIDUALS AND COMPANIES TO OBTAIN FINANCE FOR BUSINESS
EXPANDING AND TO SETUP A NEW BUSINESS RANGING ANY AMOUNT. GET FINANCE AT AFFORDABLE INTEREST RATE OF 3% contact us Pacific landing Whatsapp +91, Seven, Three, 0, Three, Three, Eight, Two, Six, Three, One
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?