Favorite 458 Win Mag Factory Loads

Cheesehead

AH member
Reaction score
Well boys, I might be an idiot. I recently acquired my first big bore -- a Winchester Model 70 in 458 Win Mag.

I am not a reloader, at least not yet. So, which of the currently available factory loads in 458 win mag do you prefer for cheap (or relatively cheap) practice, and which do you like for actual hunting? I plan to use it for anything bigger than whitetail, like bears and moose, so i can prepare myself for Africa.

Congrats on getting your first real big bore.

I had to check your About. You are in Wisconsin. Hmm...big whitetails compared to our southern - southeastern deer. Sooo....why not use your 458WM on whitetail deer? Oops scratch that you don't reload....Yet. But still....a proper weight solid bullet,....out to a reasonable distance,....Why not?

For plinking practice and for hunting you can, and I started with Hornady DGS and DGX, as being (locally) the cheapest and easiest to get. And they are effective on black bear, moose and elk.

For moose and grizzly / brown bears you might opt for premium bullets. For Africa you definitely may want to opt for premium solid and / or soft bullets. However, I'm satisfied with using Hornady bullets. But I also have a few premium bullets at hand.

Since I reload I use Hornady, Woodleigh, and a couple or 3 other manufacturers' 500 grain bullets and as I have posted a few times 250 grain For Use In 45-70 bullets for range testing.

For elk, moose and black bear in North America and as a one gun for Africa large PG; sable, eland, gemsbok, hartebeest, wildebeest, zebra, and having to purchase factory ammo, most likely a 350 or 400 grain bullet. With a 200 yard max shooting distance.

For DG definitely 450 grain or my preferred a 500 grain bullet. As 100 yards will be my max shooting distance with the 458WM.

Norma or Nosler once upon a time, I don't know if they still do, use to have big bore ammo sale specials at 50% off. I picked up quite a bit of ammo during these sales as the sales prices were about as or cheaper than per box of Hornady and IMO loaded with a better bullet.

Just my 2 cents. Because you asked.

Last edited:
I have been thinking about using it for deer a little, just to get some trigger time with it. Hornady ammo definitely seems to be the most common. Big as our whitetail might be, I have a feeling the 500gr dgx might be too tough for them. Anyone know if federal still makes the 400gr TBBC?

I have been thinking about using it for deer a little, just to get some trigger time with it. Hornady ammo definitely seems to be the most common. Big as our whitetail might be, I have a feeling the 500gr dgx might be too tough for them. Anyone know if federal still makes the 400gr TBBC?

JMO....I would forgo any expanding soft bullet for whitetails and use only a solid.

You may have misunderstood, use the lighter 350 or 400 grain bullets for whitetails, moose, elk, and black bear, and the bigger PG. I recommend the use of 500 grain bullets on grizzly / brown bears and DG.

When you start reloading and are comfortable with reloading then you enter into a whole other world....turning your 458WM into a 45-70 super ultra mag, or whatever name you want to give it, sending a 200 - 250 - 300 grain bullet(s) out to 300+ to 400 + yards, at possible velocities of 2100 + / - to 2300 + /- fps, and still keeping well within SAAMI pressure is the standards.

Well boys, I might be an idiot. I recently acquired my first big bore -- a Winchester Model 70 in 458 Win Mag.

I am not a reloader, at least not yet. So, which of the currently available factory loads in 458 win mag do you prefer for cheap (or relatively cheap) practice, and which do you like for actual hunting? I plan to use it for anything bigger than whitetail, like bears and moose, so i can prepare myself for Africa.
Congrats on your new purchase! But as others will tell you, "cheap" and safari calibers do not go hand in hand! If you're looking for non-factory loads to use on different game and for practice give Lonnie a call at Superior Ammunition (SC I believe). They will talk to you about what you need and work up sample kits for you to try. The smallest load I have personally used was 350 grain but I bet Lonnie can make lower grain loads for you. Keep us posted. It's a great caliber!

I agree with Tiger2001 if you’re not a hand loader use one of the custom ammo manufacturers. I buy my loading products from Hendershot’s, they are a custom ammo manufacturer. I bought some 300 grain cutting edge bullets from them last week. They are much milder recoil and chronographs at 2616 feet per second with the load my DR loves. That load would give you a white tail accuracy out to 300 yards. I bought factory Hornady for the brass. Those 500 DGX really kick and I’m not sure I would shoot enough to get really proficient without working up to full power dangerous loads. Good luck with your new rifle. Big bores are addictive!

I bought the same rifle last year and have been trying out all the factory ammo options I could find. I've sent 100s of rounds down the pipe from all the major brands.

1. Federal TBBC - 400gr
2. Federal TBBC - 500gr
3. Federal Banded Solids - 500gr
4. Banres TTSX - 450gr
5. Hornady DGS - 500gr
6. Hornady DGX - 500gr
7. Norma Solids - 500gr

I prefer hunting with the 400gr TBBC, its enough for any North American game and the recoil is far less than the other loads, comparable to my 375HH.

In terms of highest energy and felt recoil, rhe Barnes and Hornady loads are the top.

Ammoseek.com is your friend when looking for any ammo. Many listings have free shipping.

Ed Z

Attachments

• 458 Win Mag Ammo | Best 458 Win Mag Ammunition - AmmoSeek.com 2024.pdf
    599.8 KB · Views: 4
JMO....I would forgo any expanding soft bullet for whitetails and use only a solid.
Unfortunately, we are not allowed to use solids to hunt deer around here. I like your suggestion to use some of the lighter bullets.
I agree with Tiger2001 if you’re not a hand loader use one of the custom ammo manufacturers. I buy my loading products from Hendershot’s, they are a custom ammo manufacturer. I bought some 300 grain cutting edge bullets from them last week. They are much milder recoil and chronographs at 2616 feet per second with the load my DR loves. That load would give you a white tail accuracy out to 300 yards. I bought factory Hornady for the brass. Those 500 DGX really kick and I’m not sure I would shoot enough to get really proficient without working up to full power dangerous loads. Good luck with your new rifle. Big bores are addictive!
I think I will look into some of the custom ammo manufacturers to find a load that my rifle likes and is tailored for my target.
Ammoseek.com is your friend when looking for any ammo. Many listings have free shipping.

Ed Z
Ammoseek is one of my favorite places to look. I did see some 400 grain loads there. One from Buffalo Bore with TSX and the Federal TBBC load mentioned earlier. I'll probably give those a try soon.

In the meantime, I just ordered a few boxes of these to get familiar with my new rifle.

https://wisconsincartridge.com/prod...rounds/?attribute_rounds=(20+Rounds)+-+$70.00

A 405gr soft point (probably designed for the 45-70) at about 2100fps should be pretty mild. I can work up from there to full power 458s.

Attachments

• 458 Win Mag 400 gr SP (20 Rounds)(Reman) – Wisconsin Cartridge, LLC.pdf
    375.2 KB · Views: 2
45-70 has been making holes in American game for a few years now. Lead cast, solids and softs will all work. Doesn't really matter which bullets/ manufacturer. Hornady DGS and DGX will do the job and will also work in africa. You may want to use A frames in africa on DG for a little more piece of mind.

If I used factory win mag ammo in my rifle, it would probably be Hornady DGX and DGS. My brother has accounted for 15 or so elephant with his 416 rigby and he uses DGS.

I really like the 450Gr Barnes TSX factory loads. Highly recommended for everything except elephant or the great cats.

Among factory loaded solids, the 500Gr Hornady DGS is pretty much the only one available off-the-shelf these days.

I really like the 450Gr Barnes TSX factory loads. Highly recommended for everything except elephant or the great cats.

Among factory loaded solids, the 500Gr Hornady DGS is pretty much the only one available off-the-shelf these days.
I assume you recommend a solid like the DGS for elephant. When it comes to cats, are you wanting a bullet that expands quicker than the TSX?

BTW, I'm really looking forward to reading your book!

I assume you recommend a solid like the DGS for elephant. When it comes to cats, are you wanting a bullet that expands quicker than the TSX?

BTW, I'm really looking forward to reading your book!
Why thank you, Cheesehead. Yes, for the great cats... I personally prefer lead cored soft points. The new 500Gr Hornady DGX Bonded would be an excellent choice in this department.

And yes, exclusively solids for elephant. If you have access to a custom loading service (like Superior Ammunition or Hendershots Ammunition), then for the .458 Winchester Magnum... My favorite solid bullet would have to be the 450Gr Cutting Edge Safari Solid. They are of monometal brass construction and have a big flat point (Meplat) which enhances penetration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lutori

Latest profile posts

Bluecyclone wrote on LES7's profile.
Hello there,
Could you tell me if your model 70 has two recoil lugs? I have heard some of the super express rifles had one, while the safari express has two.
Thank you.
Brant.
Saddlemaker wrote on Drexel64742's profile.
Hi Drexel, Would like to purchase your brass , Would a business check be fine?
overunderranger wrote on Stamp Collector's profile.
I'm interested in the 28 gauge Ruger, if you still have it.
Tanner wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I’m blown away the rifle hasn’t sold. I will take it!
wolfhunter wrote on Mark haynes's profile.
I hunted with you a couple years back speedy goat with Don Lynch call me