upload_2016-7-29_17-33-29.png

upload_2016-7-29_17-33-55.png

upload_2016-7-29_17-34-26.png

Fred Seed

upload_2016-7-29_17-35-57.png

Dickie Dickinson

upload_2016-7-29_17-36-54.png

Sydney Waller

I'm not sure who all these people are. There is a photo of Jumo Kenyatta in the background so this photo would have been made after independence in 1964. Hopefully @JudyB can help list the names!
upload_2016-7-29_17-39-56.png

Leslie Tarlton

upload_2016-7-29_17-57-42.png

Jim Sutherland

upload_2016-7-29_17-58-32.png

upload_2016-7-29_18-0-45.png

No names to go with the above photo.

There is not a name on this photo but I think it could be Glenn Cottar. Note the hat.;)

upload_2016-7-29_18-2-54.png

Alfredo Pelizzoli
upload_2016-7-29_18-5-26.png

Terry Matthews and John Alexander

upload_2016-7-29_18-6-19.png

McArthur and Hunter

upload_2016-7-29_18-7-18.png

George Rushby

upload_2016-7-29_18-8-25.png

Wow lots of pics and research. Cool Wheels!

I'm not sure who all these people are. There is a photo of Jumo Kenyatta in the background so this photo would have been made after independence in 1964. Hopefully @JudyB can help list the names!
View attachment 156475

This is so funny - I was going to post the same photo in my response to Bob a few minutes ago when I mentioned the bookcase with the amazing history! This was taken before I worked for the association.
Starting in the center: and going left to right: Tony Dyer, not sure but will find out, Bill Ryan, Tony France, Laddy Wincza, not sure but will find out.

Like the photo of Alfredo. He gave me an enlarged picture of an amazing shot of a leopard coming out of a tree at him. It had been asleep and their party woke it up. Alfredo said he didn't know who was more startled. He rolled and took a picture as he did so. Then the leopard went one way and they went the other.

I think I can find the names of that other group photo. Will get back to you. Not too sure about the Glen Cottar photo.

Amazing that so many pictures have survived. Thanks for posting and also the research. Glad it hasn't been lost.

Wheels, this is such an amazing collection of photographs. Thanks so much for sharing them all.

This is so funny - I was going to post the same photo in my response to Bob a few minutes ago when I mentioned the bookcase with the amazing history! This was taken before I worked for the association.
Starting in the center: and going left to right: Tony Dyer, not sure but will find out, Bill Ryan, Tony France, Laddy Wincza, not sure but will find out.

Like the photo of Alfredo. He gave me an enlarged picture of an amazing shot of a leopard coming out of a tree at him. It had been asleep and their party woke it up. Alfredo said he didn't know who was more startled. He rolled and took a picture as he did so. Then the leopard went one way and they went the other.

I think I can find the names of that other group photo. Will get back to you. Not too sure about the Glen Cottar photo.

Judy,

Thanks for so much good information. It is neat having you help us preserve some history and add to it.

Fill free to correct me on anything I have posted, including the Glen Cottar photo. Some of the photos have names. The one with the PH wearing the leopard hat did not. I think I remember reading that Cottar killed a leopard with his knife or bare hands and he wore part of the leopard with him. (That's whyI mentioned it could be him).

George Rushby

upload_2016-7-31_16-39-26.png

George Rushby was a game warden in Mbeya Tanzania at one time. We didn't know him as he was gone prior to our family living in the region. We did know people that knew him. I believe he moved to RSA. He killed the "maneaters of Njombi" (1500 people killed and eaten) during and after WWII. He also had the original idea to gazette what is now Ruaha National Park. That was completed in 1967 when Eric Balson was the Regional Game Warden as I recall.

Wheels, this is such an amazing collection of photographs. Thanks so much for sharing them all.

Don't thank me too much. The photos aren't mine.

The internet is an amazing thing.;)

What a great post! Thank you all for sharing. I really would love to hear more of the stories. :)

Judy,

Thanks for so much good information. It is neat having you help us preserve some history and add to it.

Fill free to correct me on anything I have posted, including the Glen Cottar photo. Some of the photos have names. The one with the PH wearing the leopard hat did not. I think I remember reading that Cottar killed a leopard with his knife or bare hands and he wore part of the leopard with him. (That's whyI mentioned it could be him).

You have an amazing history, too, Wheels. Thank you!

Judy,

You have an amazing history, too, Wheels. Thank you!
Who's the most experienced Big Game Hunter still alive today?

We all know & love to read about great hunters of yester year.... But there are still legends walking among us with a vast majority of expertise & great numbers of big game hunted that we can only dream of....
Lets not wait until they pass before we sing their praises & admire their accomplishments. Let hear their names, compare stats & maybe get them to join us on this great site for some insights & stories from these DAGHA BOYS...!!!!

Robin Hurt (Namibia), Tony Seth-Smith (Kenya), David Mead (Kenya), Terry Mathews (Kenya).

Here's a photograph I just shared with Wheels and thought I would also share on this thread. It's a group photo taken after the EAPHA AGM in Nairobi in 1971. I took the minutes! Last year Robin Hurt helped me verify some of the names. Think I'm the only one who kept the photo. Missing from the photo: Syd Downey, Donald Ker, Tony Seth-Smith and David Mead, who were on safari at the time.

Standing (L to R) Bill Ryan, Terry Mathews, John Sutton, Tony Maxtone-Mailer, Bob Reitnauer, Bunny Ray, Brian Coleman, David Ommanney, Rene Babault, Chris Roberts, Patrick Gilbert-Hopkins, Tony France Lee Giraudo, (part hidden)?, Judy Blaeske, Brian Herne, John Alexander, Robin Hurt, Mike Webley, John Lawrence, Mike Keilly, Guy Grant, Kevin Torrens, Freddy Seed, Jens Hessel, Alfredo Pellizoli, ?, Alfie von Ausberg, Steve Smith, Laddy Wincza, ?, Mike Hissey, Ken Clark.
Seated (L to R) Peter De Mello, Chris Lyon, Theo Potgeiter, Tony Dyer, Wali Mohamed, Gideon Kago,
Nicky Blunt, Edgar De Bono, Dave Williams, Glen Cottar Bill Winter, Ray Palfrey.

full

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nbiermann

Latest profile posts

John Kirk wrote on Macduff's profile.
Great transaction on some 375 HH ammo super fast shipping great communication
akriet wrote on Tom Leoni's profile.
Hello Tom: I saw your post about having 11 Iphisi's for sale. I have been thinking about one. I am also located in Virginia. Do you have photos of the availables to share? My email is [redacted]

Thanks and regards,

Andy
Natural Bridge, Virginia