Faking size is for fishing not hunting

Elton

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I am seeing a disturbing trend here in South Africa. Hunting photos where the hunter is sitting so far behind the animal as to make it appear larger. I know when people are out fishing they tend to hold the fish out in front of them to also make it appear bigger than it actually is, which is what we are use to. But seeing this spill over in hunting is strange. Some of these Impalas looks so huge with the hunter so far back, you might think that you can saddle them up and ride them alongside horses.

Maybe i missed then memo here on AH but here is my warthog sow i shot 2 weeks ago, as it was a solo hunt i had to take a hunting selfie.
IMG_20210707_161456_830.jpeg

You shrank that 13 inch Warthog way down by getting that close.
It is all in the perspective.

I am seeing a disturbing trend here in South Africa. Hunting photos where the hunter is sitting so far behind the animal as to make it appear larger. I know when people are out fishing they tend to hold the fish out in front of them to also make it appear bigger than it actually is, which is what we are use to. But seeing this spill over in hunting is strange.

That is nothing new for hunting, it has been going on for decades. Heck, just look at hunting advertisements on this site, you will see many examples of it.

My hunting buddy - who enjoys fishing - won't even do this with fish, and it's one of his most outspoken pet peeves. I tend to agree with him though I'm not as vocal. I guess my thoughts are if you catch it or shoot it, and you think it's worthy of a photo, let it stand on its own merits or don't take a photo. I really hate seeing it with bears up here. Most look like either the hunter is the size of Peter Dinklage or the bear squares about 13 feet with a mid 30s skull.

That said, it's like art or women; each to their own. But I agree with you Elton.

My hunting buddy - who enjoys fishing - won't even do this with fish, and it's one of his most outspoken pet peeves.
I’m with your buddy. Intentionally taking a picture with the purpose of making your fish or game animal look bigger than what it really is, is deception. The only time I’ve done it is to show this trick to my friends. We did this with a lake trout my Dad caught.
Honest pic
54D87F9C-50D3-4C61-8F4A-38CDCC3E20F2.jpeg

Deceptive pic
ACFB6565-AD37-4ABA-BBEE-C7AC77841C2F.jpeg

I am not too fussed whether someone shows the animal to advantage or not, we all know what an impala looks like anyway. What really gets me is when people appear scruffily with their quarry. There was a photo of a man wearing flip flops and a scruffy T shirt hanging over his shorts leaning against a magnificent old elephant bull he had shot. It was so disrespectful of that grand creature.

... What really gets me is when people appear scruffily with their quarry. There was a photo of a man wearing flip flops and a scruffy T shirt hanging over his shorts leaning against a magnificent old elephant bull he had shot. It was so disrespectful of that grand creature.

Should he have gone back to camp and dress up for the photos? :whistle:

This has been going on for a LONG time. It's nothing new. In defense, I also hate it when the photo doesn't really show off the real quality of the animal either. I don't mind making sure the animal is given the proper quality perspective as long as it doesn't get too out of hand. My rule is usually that I be able to reach the horn/antler with my hand. I won't sit at the rear of an animal that is already positioned at 45 degree angle backwards.

Is this ok??? Asking for a friend. LMAO!!!!! Courtesy of @observe (y) (y)
carp.png

I alway just put my hand on the animal, everyone can tell where I am in relation to it. Plus, the only people's opinion I care about all know what the animal looks like in real life and also its relative size, so I don't get too concerned.

I like the hand on the animal idea, and have started instructing my PH's to do that. I still think honor needs to go to the animal at the end of the day. Just compare the horns to the ears. That is how we do it in the field, whether the animal is at 45 degrees or whatever, then it won't confuse anyone.

Take a picture however you want. It’s ok with me. Unless you are photo shopping and altering the digital image, who cares

I’m sure a few of us suck in our guts during photo ops. Lol

I like the hand on the animal idea, and have started instructing my PH's to do that. I still think honor needs to go to the animal at the end of the day. Just compare the horns to the ears. That is how we do it in the field, whether the animal is at 45 degrees or whatever, then it won't confuse anyone.

I agree with the above.

My apology for the following off topic comment; I feel compelled to say that more than over accentuating the animal’s size my pet peeve is seeing a photo of a hunter straddling a downed animal as if riding it. I find that very disrespectful.

Otherwise, good hunting to you all.

Personal I don’t intentionally post any photos on social media of animals I have taken! To many anti’s, trolls and aholes that use photos for there shit agendas. My friends see my photos only if they want to and usually they are just my hunting buddies.

A similar thread:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JanineBlaz

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Ryanelson wrote on Flipper Dude's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
Ryanelson wrote on Sturgeondrjb's profile.
I wanted to know if you minded answering a dew questions on 45-70 in africa
HerbJohnson wrote on Triathlete3's profile.
If you have an email, I would love to be able to chat with you about J.P.H. Prohunt. My email address is [redacted]. Thanks.
Another Wildebees cull shot this morning!
We are doing a cull hunt this week!