Factory .416 Taylor Rifles

I think the .416 Taylor had a few years in the early ‘70s to become a mainstream DG cartridge when the .416 Rigby rifles and ammo were MIA and no other .416 was readily available. But, Winchester failed to produce ammo for it. If Ruger/Winchester were to make a run of them I would be interested for a reasonable price.
John Wooters, Gun/Outdoor writer, gave the 416 Taylor a bit of favorable publicity.
Tough crowd for sales on anything above .30 caliber in the market place. I doubtful that Ruger would set up to compete with their own cartridge. Unless, a distributor such as Lipsey's made a deal and ordered a substantial number of rifles. I think Lipsey's is responsible for the latest run of the 375 & 416 Rugers, as well as the 35 Whelens. They definitely have clout.

Several factory and custom ammo makers out there for the non-hand loaders. I have one a custom stainless m70 built by Shaw. Super accurate quick pointing all weather has downed Buffalo hippo elephant and bear so far... It loses nothing ballistically to any other big boy 416 2450 ft per second loads are a snap and you can make 2550 loads if your shoulder can handle LOL

I think any cartridge based off of the .375 Ruger is safe to stay for a long time, given that it shares brass with the .300 PRC.
Interesting. I say that because the proprietary .300 and .338 RCM (Ruger Compact Magnums) based on the .375 Ruger came out in 2008 and Ruger stopped chambering rifles for them in 2012. I don't know if Hornady still makes their proprietary ammo and/or reloading brass for them? And now the .300 PRC? Seems redundant from the .300 RCM? I'm not sure I'd buy a rifle in that cartridge for a few years to make sure it'll be around for awhile? Someone on here stated Hornady hasn't produced .375 Ruger reloading brass in over three years. Probably same with their .416 Ruger? I guess I'm becoming a little risk adverse with these ever increasing offerings in proprietary cartridges with no parent case available outside of Hornady?

Interesting. I say that because the proprietary .300 and .338 RCM (Ruger Compact Magnums) based on the .375 Ruger came out in 2008 and Ruger stopped chambering rifles for them in 2012. I don't know if Hornady still makes their proprietary ammo and/or reloading brass for them? And now the .300 PRC? Seems redundant from the .300 RCM? I'm not sure I'd buy a rifle in that cartridge for a few years to make sure it'll be around for awhile? Someone on here stated Hornady hasn't produced .375 Ruger reloading brass in over three years. Probably same with their .416 Ruger? I guess I'm becoming a little risk adverse with these ever increasing offerings in proprietary cartridges with no parent case available outside of Hornady?
The .300 PRC uses the full length .375 Ruger case, while the RCM line was a shortened version. If I were to guess, given that the market for .375 caliber anything is relatively small compared to the .300 class of cartridges, all of that brass and production capacity just shifted over to focus on the PRC.

Another probably "perfect" proprietary cartridge: the NEW Winchester .400 Legend. Not only is it a new "ground up" designed cartridge with no parent cartridge, but the bullets are a proprietary .4005 rifle bullet that no one else makes. Perfect! LOL

Hi new to this forum.

I have 375 Taylor (AKA 375 Chatfield-Taylor or 375/338WM). I would love a 416 Taylor as I have a spare action FN Mauser 98 with my gunsmith looking for a second life.

I have the pdf scan of the article written by RF Chatfield-Taylor (published April 1973 Guns & Ammo) on creating his 416 Taylor and his experience with it in Africa. Anyone who is interested in a email copy of the article just PM me.

I really like my 416 Taylor, a Mark X built by Frank Wells (so I was told by a rather famous gunsmith, seeing as Frank has passed I can't verify). It is very accurate and shoots like a dream, but it's a bit porky and I keep debating moving on from it, with 404 Jeff #2 being built soon and a 400 Whelen in the safe.

20220316_192625.jpg

PM if you want to sell it and let me know how much. If the recesses prove me correct I believe the problem was that chatfield Taylor left the Earth too soon. Interestingly enough prior to the release of the Remington I believe! He was somewhat of a Tucker in the gun industry. Otherwise it may have been much more popular but obviously it has caught on to a degree in recent times but again the economy is impacting among other things the DG hunting industry. I took my son on two safaris under DJT then covid and bidenomics got in the way for a lot of people! Off the top of my head i can't recall a safari during a Dem administration on the principle they were just costing/losing too much of our money and wasting too much of our time and effort trying to recover it!

Forgot to inquire how many rounds does that hold? It looks like four which is wonderful! Heft is good for recoil mitigation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asrsportsmedicine

Latest profile posts

buckstix wrote on magnum308's profile.
yes ..please send me a copy ... buckstix@aol.com
NYAMAZANA SAFARIS wrote on majorsafari's profile.
Trail cam image is of a cat we never took .. it’s not a great image but I can assure you it’s a very big cat . Other photo is of my client with his cat this year .

IMG_3426.jpeg
IMG_2910.jpeg
thokau wrote on Just a dude in BC's profile.
Hallo, ein Freund von mir lebt auf einer Farm in den Rocky Mountains.
Leider kam es dort in den letzten Wochen zu Bränden.
Hoffe es geht dir gut!?