Extra Ammo?

DSchmidt

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
USA
Hey folks,
In reading the 300 PRC thread and seeing people state that ammo is likely going to be impossible to find anywhere in Africa has made me consider options for taking extra ammo in the event of lost luggage. I am wondering if I can pack a spare locked ammo can in my wifes luggage, so that in the event mine gets lost I'll have hers to fall back on.

On the same note, if we do separate 4457s and put one rifle in her name and the other in mine, can we pack them together in the same case, but travel with ammo in each of our checked luggage?

I've been wondering the same thing, I'm sure someone here will be able to provide you with the answers.

The “you can’t find that kind of ammo in africa” argument has always bugged me. If your ph has a loaner rifle, you will be covered in the event your luggage is lost or your gun breaks or your scope gives up or whatever. Just make sure your ph has a loaner available in the off hand chance your stuff goes awol.
If you are catching an adjoining flight in africa, chances are you will be required to move your ammo from your luggage to your locked gun case, at which point the extra ammo will become an issue.

If you are catching an adjoining flight in africa, chances are you will be required to move your ammo from your luggage to your locked gun case, at which point the extra ammo will become an issue.

To a locked ammo box and not gun case.

My plans were the same as Firebird, if anything happened to my ammo or rifle I would just rent one from the outfitter.

I've heard that placing two hunters rifles in one case is alright, and to stay withing the legal weight limit you should carry your own ammo in its own locked case in each others checked bag. But that could cause problems when checking the rifle case for a "in Africa" flight where the ammo is suppose to travel with the rifle case.

Now if you can get all the ammo you need into one locked box that is under the 11 lb limit all will be well by just using a single ammo box.

WHY even risk it?

Hey folks,
In reading the 300 PRC thread and seeing people state that ammo is likely going to be impossible to find anywhere in Africa has made me consider options for taking extra ammo in the event of lost luggage. I am wondering if I can pack a spare locked ammo can in my wifes luggage, so that in the event mine gets lost I'll have hers to fall back on.

On the same note, if we do separate 4457s and put one rifle in her name and the other in mine, can we pack them together in the same case, but travel with ammo in each of our checked luggage?
Far too much is made of the fear of losing ammo. We all hear the stories of bags being delayed but in reality it is rare. Go with what you have planned and absolute worst case scenario you rent a rifle. Don’t let these little worries ruin your trip and the fun of planning. Also just keep the two rifles in your name and together.

Good question. Ammo and rifle delay does happen to people, so I totally understand your fear. If you really want your own rifle on the hunt (which I totally understand and empathize with) here are a couple of possible solutions to de-risk things.

1 -- Ask your PH if he can get a few boxes of 300 PRC to a gun store for you in country. Local laws might nix that and will vary, but the ph will know if this is feasible. He may know someone who can help with this, too.

2 -- Take two lockable boxes and put them in separate bags. You could put one in your wife's bag, but it might be easier and wiser to check two bags under your own name to avoid any potential cluster with rules. You have the 11lb limit for ammo, but if you used two plastic boxes with TSA padlocks, you could almost certainly put 40 rounds in each box and be under the total weight.

3 -- Have your wife complete a set of import paperwork and let her take some ammo in her allowance in her bag. Yes, you have to pay more for the paperwork, but it is a way of derisking your ammo loss by splitting the cargo.

Either way, good luck with this. I have taken my rifle four times now, and it has (luckily) all been plain sailing, but it is always a nervous moment waiting at the kiosk and the carousel for the hardware! Nothing like setting your hands on your rifle and ammo and heading out of the airport to the cruiser in the parking lot knowing you have made it!

I cannot express how important it is to use an agent for your importation paperwork. If you are going through JNB, be sure to use Afton or Africa Sky. These guys know everyone and can make unbelievable things happen in minutes at the airport. They will fix almost any problem you have on the spot as they do this day in day out and have exceptional connections in the airport. Let them do their job and you will be fine. Bring a couple of hundred in cash, too.

Thanks for all of the quick responses. I think it makes the most sense to split my ammo up and just check 2 bags.

I've never been in a camp where there wasn't plenty of rifles and ammo around, there is zero chance you are going to miss one minute of hunting because of a lost bag, I personally don't worry about it. Your outfitter and PH would give you the shirt off their back if needed, there is no issue with finding you a rifle for a day or two if need be.

If you are flying anywhere after Johannesburg, just know there is nearly a 100% chance the ammo cases will have to be checked as separate bags and there will be fees, etc..

The flip side of the argument about losing ammo then being able to buy it in Africa is whatever ammo one procures might, in their rifle, shoot a shotgun pattern at 100 yards.

Are both rifles the same caliber? Not allowed under one license if that is the case.

The flip side of the argument about losing ammo then being able to buy it in Africa is whatever ammo one procures might, in their rifle, shoot a shotgun pattern at 100 yards.
Yes. Quite. And it sounds like the OP's main concern is not being able to use his rifle as opposed to not being able to use a rifle.

This is true. I really enjoy taking my own rifle, it is part of the fun for me, but I also know that for shooting PG at 120 yards, any damn rifle laying around camp is more than good enough.

I've never been in a camp where there wasn't plenty of rifles and ammo around, there is zero chance you are going to miss one minute of hunting because of a lost bag, I personally don't worry about it. Your outfitter and PH would give you the shirt off their back if needed, there is no issue with finding you a rifle for a day or two if need be.

Completely agree.

I absolutely prefer to hunt with my own rifles.. but in the past I have had to hunt with camp rifles on one occasion (flew to SA on American on points, through London... so bringing my own wasnt an option).. and this year I am hunting with camp rifles (spending some follow on time after the hunt touring around and rifles would become a logistical problem)..

Its really not a big deal... a quality outfitter is going to have a variety of camp guns available.. all of quality make, all with quality glass, etc.. all zero'd to the ammo they have available.. For example, the camp rifles I used on the prior trip were a CZ550 375 H&H topped with a Swaro optic, and a Musgrave 7x57 topped with a swaro optic... This year I plan on using the same two rifles (A hippo is potentially on the menu as is a buff cow.. they'll get the 375... and a couple of PG species are being talked about that would get the 7x57)... If someone else in camp prefers the 7x57.. not a problem.. there is an excellent CZ 30-06 available.. and I believe there is another 7x57 as well...

You should always have a back up plan for "what if" my rifles/ammo/underwear/whatever doesnt make it.. but the plan for rifles/ammo doesnt have to be elaborate or complicated.. I'd just ask the PH what camp guns are available, what ammo he has for them, what optics are mounted, etc.. determine if you are comfortable with that.. and go from there..

Hey folks,

Contact your PH/Outfitter to see if he can get your rifle's cartridge. AT least in RSA, it's not the ammo wasteland some assume.

300 PRC in Blomfontein? Sure.

The trouble with having your PH or outfitter picking up some uncommon ammo is that they may not be able to source it locally and if they do find it what are they going to do with it in the case that all your luggage, rifle, and ammo shows up like it is suppose to?

I shoot a .340 Weatherby, and while it might be able to be found in South Africa I just wouldn't want to have my PH or outfitter have to go out and try to find it.

I just planned on using one of their rifles and ammo in the case mine didn't show up. Now if it was for a 375 HH I would have zero problem having them pick up some for me. But that is a common safari rifle ammo and they are bound to be able to use it if I didn't need it.

Don't overthink it.

@JimP The pickup of ammo by the PH would be after yours didn't show up. I wasn't suggesting getting the ammo ahead of time. As far as I know, unless they have a license for that particular firearm, they can't just roll in to a gun store and buy the ammo.

I forgot how ammo purchases worked in SA.

But running around trying to find ammo when you could be on your way to do some hunting just sounds wrong.

As I mentioned, if something doesn't show up just use one of the PH's rifles and enjoy yourself until your wayward baggage shows up.

No different than wearing your hunting boots and having a change of clothing in your carry on.

Thanks for all of the quick responses. I think it makes the most sense to split my ammo up and just check 2 bags.

Not sure if this is allowed. Better check.

I am thinking about getting AirTags for my bags, gun case and ammo case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CheriS2834

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]