Exploding ammo

It's not ammunition, but Mythbusters once did an episode on exploding disposable lighters on the dash of a vehicle. They had to create extreme conditions (not possible in any normal use situation) that really took effort to make them go bang. Basically, it was impossible to happen unless you wanted it to.

It's not ammunition, but Mythbusters once did an episode on exploding disposable lighters on the dash of a vehicle. They had to create extreme conditions (not possible in any normal use situation) that really took effort to make them go bang. Basically, it was impossible to happen unless you wanted it to.
1726010257399.png

Lon, I am sorry. However, there is a 500 in the car, i suppose should be moved .. if I ever clean the car out?

I have about 20 lighters blow up in my truck during the hot Texas summer
No flames but lots of little pieces of plastic
The ambient heat melts my lip balm also, having a lighter blow where I keep my balm
Makes a huge mess
Also don’t leave a 12 pack of canned coke’s in a car they will explode too and make a sticky mess

Even if you could get it to ignite (maybe a magnifying glass would work??), it won't be all that impressive. In a loaded round, the bullet usually weighs as much or more than the case and primer. The bullet will slowly move one direction and the case/primer will move slightly faster in the other direction. There will be a bit of flame, but certainly no explosion. Smokeless powder doesn't explode anyhow..... just deflagrates (ignites at subsonic speeds).

Never heard of such in the Texas heat. I did, however, know a guy who left a four pack or six pack of compressed air (dust/keyboard aerosol) in his truck in El Paso, and it looked like a couple pounds of tannerite exploded. His interior was destroyed and windshield shattered and at least one window blown out. I think ammo is likely safer than compressed air.:-)

I doubt just the heat would in a vehicle would do anything. However my father and this brother were both in the Merchant Marines in WW2 and brought back several “souvenirs” and ammo. His brother stored this stuff at his parents house, and had a house fire, that was enough heat to set off the ammo. My father said the firefighters would not get near the house as the ammo was exploding.

In Phoenix the temps can run up to the 120s and in direct sunlight through the front windshield can generate over 250° in the car and I’m sure much higher there at or close to that windshield!!!
I for one would not want to have ammunition sitting there!!!

In Phoenix the temps can run up to the 120s and in direct sunlight through the front windshield can generate over 250° in the car and I’m sure much higher there at or close to that windshield!!!
I for one would not want to have ammunition sitting there!!!
Hi CZ

You are describing typical sub saharan temps with vehicles that have a dash board shelf. I never have had it happen nor do I know of anyone who has, cigarette lighter yes (to a friend.

On military dashboards almost all light cargo personnel carriers have a vehicle dash board with one cubby hole.

I mentioned sub saharan temps if it would happen anywhere Sahara Africa would be a great place to start.

When a “cook off” is referred to in a military automatic weapon what temps are being encountered?

Lon

Good to know because I always keep a couple of lighters handy in a pouch below the dash in the event I get stranded somewhere in the winter and need to light stuff on fire to keep warm.

Hi CZ

You are describing typical sub saharan temps with vehicles that have a dash board shelf. I never have had it happen nor do I know of anyone who has, cigarette lighter yes (to a friend.

On military dashboards almost all light cargo personnel carriers have a vehicle dash board with one cubby hole.

I mentioned sub saharan temps if it would happen anywhere Sahara Africa would be a great place to start.

When a “cook off” is referred to in a military automatic weapon what temps are being encountered?

Lon
I agree! But I still wouldn’t want to do it! I sure wouldn’t want to put ammunition in that type of circumstance and stand in front of it lol
And to answer your question on military cookoffs I’d have to think that the barrel temp can get up to and over 1000° when heavy and rapid machine gun firing is happening…
But Cookoffs can happen I’d think much lower than that if let sit but during firing the firing pin prohibits that!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MercedesKu

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better