Expert smiths - can this be done?

So the answer is, there is a reason there are take down rifles in the Europe out of proof no one wants. The cost to fix exceeds their value and they cannot be imported until they are fixed.

Thanks for all your replies!
 
As often happens a dream is shattered by reality -- unfortunately, as we all like to think of ways to save some of these old treasures or at least find a way to have them migrate to our care and use if at all possible.
 
Sadly, the very thing that could allow them to be "in proof" such as rechambering, is the thing that ruins their value and originality.
 
There are no common European "proof"-rules. As an example-non of the Nordic countries has any kind of proofing laws.
 
Entirely up to each country to use/follow/join CIP. 12 countries do, the other half doesn't.
 
Entirely up to each country to use/follow/join CIP. 12 countries do, the other half doesn't.


That's true. Which are more valuable on average? CIP proofed guns or non-CIP?

Spanish shotgun versus Husky?

Hartmann and Weis versus krag Jorganson?

Purdey versus Romanian AK?

Beretta versus Swedish Mauser?


Point being, standardization and surety has made the arms industries of those with uniform standards flourish, those that went it alone have not faired as well.
 
If the headspace deficit it not too great I would suggest looking at Electroless Nickle plating on the bolt face and possible lugs. This process does not involve electricity so there is no hydrogen embrittlement, the surface is very hard, the parts can be easily masked to control the deposit area, and the thickness easily controlled by the time in the plating solution.

Just a thought.
 
Im not a professional gunsmith but I try to set up headspace by modifying bolt
For example Russian Mosin nagants has different lenght of bolt face so you can adjust
headspace by chanching right lenght bolt face.

I think its possible to fill bolt by TIG and then machine it
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,310
Messages
1,572,450
Members
169,566
Latest member
billfishes
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top