Ever THINK you have good optics but then look through mind-blowing better?

steve white

AH legend
Reaction score
Articles
Member of
dallas safari club, mannlicher collectors assoc., era
Hunted
Cape buffalo, plains game
Happened once when I went to a birding place that carried Zeiss Night Owls--the heavy, lead glass victories couple decades ago. I was trying them out, planning to buy, but then picked up Nikon SE porro prism binos that beat them in resolution! Now I think my Zeiss 8x56 fl edge them out, plus perform a lot better in the rain, etc. Have you ever had a buddies binoculars or scope just blow what you thought was good out of the water? What are your best upgrades?

I have medium class scopes on target rifles, and high end scopes on hunting rifles.
I have medium class binocular, and high end binocular.

Bottom line is I dont need top end product for every application.
But I understand the difference.

However, trying to trick myself that for target shooting I dont need high end class glass, doesnt mean i get away cheaper.
On the end, it comes to this - some rifles are for target shooting, some are for hunting. And inventory is easily doubled.
There is no real savings.

Savings in our sport?
Yeaaah, right.

My first 10 years I was bound and determined to buy the next best glass, but cheap. A Bausch and Lombe scope that the reticle spun which was replaced by a Leupold vari x 2. Eventually a zeiss conquest. Now a Leica Magnus. I would have saved a bunch of money and time just buying the Leica…
I’m ashamed of the number of junk Bino’s I’ve bought. Ten years ago I bought a pair of Leupold gold ring 10x42 binos. Head and shoulders better than all the other things I ever had. I am two years into Swarovski EL10x42. Hard to compare…
I agree you don’t need high end glass for plinking. My hunting rifles are another story. Buy once cry once…

I progressed and upgraded through the years. Once I looked through the swaro scopes I was sold. I have several different brands but mainly stick to swaro, Kahles, and Leica.
At work we had a big debate on glass and which is better - everyone gave their two cents and couldn’t agree (no surprise). So we all agreed to meet at one guys house and bring a bunch of different brand Binos, scopes and spotting scopes. Side by side comparison at low light from 100 yards to 2 miles of so.
So out come the scopes - cabelas brand, Simmons, Burris fullfield, vortex, tascos, Leupold Vx3 and VX5, nightforce (can’t remember which model), Zeiss conquest and diavari, Kahles, swaro Z3/Z5 and leica ER and magnus. The consensus was there was definitely a huge difference between the cheaper scopes and the top shelf - night and day so to speak. Light gathering and clarity were excellent and the non believers were sold on upgrading. Non of us could really agree on “the best” of the bunch but the swaro, Kahles, Leica, Zeiss were too close to call. I personally think the Leica magnus wins by a hair and surprisingly the conquest was one of the better for light gathering.
For the spotting scopes we had burris, vortex, Leupold and swaro. Swaro was the easy winner - especially at distance for clarity and at lower light.
Binos was the same with swaro easily winning - we didn’t have Leica Binos to compare, but I’d imagine a too close to call outcome.
I think this was a great exercise to compare the glass quality and help decide which you prefer. I am sure there are light meters to help judge this - but as I don’t have any cool tech I will stick to this method.

I recently upgraded to a mid range pair of leicas from my vortex diamondbacks. I wish I had purchased the ones with range finders built in. The glass is really great.

I have a serious weakness for good glass. It’s hard to beat Swarovski!
Have you tried Schmidt & Bender?

Have you tried Schmidt & Bender?
I have, it is good, to my eye Hensoldt is the best.

Glass is very subjective, on lower powers it is harder to see the difference. Had a PMII 5X25 on my AI, we were shooting on the 600 yard line. When I told my buddy I could see the bullet holes in the target at 600 yards he called BS. I told him to get behind the rifle, he came off the glass and order one just like it.

It is hard to beat Europe glass, all the high end glass is good. It is more of what reticle do they offer and what your eye likes best.

It is so satisfying to be able to recognise top quality, and a blessing to eventually get it. I am done with compromise, it is just a waste of life let alone money. Just save, eat less. Heym, Swarovski, Opinel, Shimano Calcutta and Land Rover series 1...

Another big vote for Swaros. I was a die hard Zeiss fan until I was tempted by a good deal on a Swaro scope when I was looking for a new scope and there was no Zeiss stock locally. No looking back since!
Nothing wrong with Zeiss but to my eyes, Swaro is substantially clearer. When it comes to low light or low visibility targets then the difference is even more stark.

As a side note, having also participated in a number of subjective comparison tests at the range and usually the tester, having just been using his scope, will say that the Swaro doesn't seem any better. The better test is for the tester to use the Swaro for a few shots, especially at longer ranges and then go back to his scope - the conclusions are immediate in that case.

I find the same when using a top quality flyrod. Moving from mediocre to great doesn't usually have quite the contrast that going from great to mediocre shows up.

Happened once when I went to a birding place that carried Zeiss Night Owls--the heavy, lead glass victories couple decades ago. I was trying them out, planning to buy, but then picked up Nikon SE porro prism binos that beat them in resolution! Now I think my Zeiss 8x56 fl edge them out, plus perform a lot better in the rain, etc. Have you ever had a buddies binoculars or scope just blow what you thought was good out of the water? What are your best upgrades?
When I was a kid I thought Bushnell was pretty good. Then I thought Leupold VX1 was really good. Then I thought VX3 was excellent. But then I found the Leupold VX6 and I had arrived at perfection. And finally, scope wise, I found Swarovski Z8 and this is where the story ends.

On binos, many years back I found myself shopping for a better pair. I have always struggled to get both eyes adjusted in any pair of binos. When I was younger I just used a monocular most of the time. I grabbed a midpriced set of Zeiss binos and I was actually able to adjust them to my eyes and see so very well. Again I didnt know what I was missing. Now I have and use the Swaro EL Range but those NL Pure are calling my name!
Regards,
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RichardLob

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

John A Flaws wrote on Horbs's profile.
500 schuler magazine.jpg
500 schuler bore.jpg
500 and 425 rifles.jpg
500 and 425 magaizne.jpg
cwpayton wrote on Goat416's profile.
Goat416 welcome to the forum ,youve got some great pics and Im sure trophy's
ghay wrote on professor's profile.
Hello,
Would you consider selling just the Barnes 235's and 250g TTSX's?
Hunt27 wrote on Tra3's profile.
Spain, i booked through a consultant, i book almost everything through him now and he's done me right. his contact 724 986 7206 if interested and he will have more info to share,
I hunted elephant with Luke Samaris in 2005. It was my fourth safari and I tell you he is a fine gentleman the best. I got the opportunity to meet Patty Curtis, although never hunted with him but enjoyed our conversation around our tent in the Selous. Very sad for a tough guy to leave this world the way he did. Let’s pray the murderers are caught. I hope to see Luke in Nashville.