Ever check out a Goodwill store? (I got lucky!)

My brother told me about a second hand store in a church basement. First trip, I saw a Sightron SIII scope for $75. Scooped that up and resold it for $300.

This one is not a Goodwill story, but a Walmart story. When I was station at Homestead, I was invited to go hunt hogs & deer in Florida. At that time I only had a Rem 700 in 308 (no scope and a 243 (Yes Bob, I own a 243 :ROFLMAO: ), so I went to the local Walmart in Miami to buy some ammo. I walked up to the counter and asked for a box of Win 100 grs 243 ammo. The kid behind the register rings it up, and the price is $4.75 for the box. I asked the kid if the price was correct knowing very well that those boxes were between $15 & 20 each. The little light bulb in my head lights up, and I say, I'll take all the 243 boxes. So, I asked the kid about the 308, the 30-06 and the 270 ammo (I knew I would eventually buy a rifle in those calibers). They were all priced between $3.25 & $4.75 per box. I cleaned them out of all the rifle ammo they had on display and in the back, something like 20-30 boxes per caliber. I paid and went home. This was about 28 years ago. I still have some of that ammo left. LOL!!!!!

This one is not a Goodwill story, but a Walmart story. When I was station at Homestead, I was invited to go hunt hogs & deer in Florida. At that time I only had a Rem 700 in 308 (no scope and a 243 (Yes Bob, I own a 243 :ROFLMAO: ), so I went to the local Walmart in Miami to buy some ammo. I walked up to the counter and asked for a box of Win 100 grs 243 ammo. The kid behind the register rings it up, and the price is $4.75 for the box. I asked the kid if the price was correct knowing very well that those boxes were between $15 & 20 each. The little light bulb in my head lights up, and I say, I'll take all the 243 boxes. So, I asked the kid about the 308, the 30-06 and the 270 ammo (I knew I would eventually buy a rifle in those calibers). They were all priced between $3.25 & $4.75 per box. I cleaned them out of all the rifle ammo they had on display and in the back, something like 20-30 boxes per caliber. I paid and went home. This was about 28 years ago. I still have some of that ammo left. LOL!!!!!
My Walmart story was not quite as good but still really good. For some reason, Walmart was clearing out the Ruger American rifles as well as the Marlin 1895s in .45-70. I picked up the Ruger American in .243 (!) for $199 and the Marlin for $299. These prices were well below dealer cost at the time.

That is a great deal too.

They also sold Weatherby Vanguards for around $150-199.00 each, when they discontinue their line. They were all gone when I made it to the store.

i got one of the marlin 95,s in 45-70 at walmart, also for 299.99 and it also had a rebate of 50.00 from marlin. last week end at a flea market i bought a 2 ton floor jack in like new condition for 5.00.

I did get a couple of older Nikon SLR cameras as well as a number of Hawaiian shirts (actually made in Hawaii). Those early Nikon film cameras were built to take abuse.

I passed on a couple of Coleman gas stoves which I should have snagged. I haven't been so lucky as to find reloading gear.
+1 on the Hawaiian shirts. I've found a couple made in Hawaii. I don't golf, but I like wearing golf shirts as they are lightweight and breathable. I've found new (with tags) or almost new at Goodwill for $6-7 versus $40-45 in retail stores.

Over the years I've found multiple pairs of nylon hiking pants (Prana, Railriders etc) in thrift stores. Considering the are $50-$100 new I grab them if they are cheap. In Alaska I have found $100 raincoats for $20. Both pants and raincoats wear out so I grab them and save them for later.

You all are to be really jealous over my best find. :ROFLMAO:

Bob and I had a few minutes to kill and stopped at this little antique second hand type place. We looked around and I found some antique pencil sharpeners and snatched them up because my amazing father-in-law has a very nice collection.
Anyway, I looked under this table and spotted what looked like an old sewing machine case. I had Bob put it on a table for me. Sure enough it was an antique Singer sewing machine. Had all the parts and it had a 10.00 sticker on it. I wanted to plug it in to try it and I had to manually spin the wheel to get it started…just like the one I learned to sew on of my mother’s. The man said since it had problems if I still wanted it he would let me take it for 5.00 or make him an offer. He had no idea what he had and the case was covered with a thick layer of dust. We spent 7.00 for everything we bought. I took the machine to my repair guy. He charges 25.00 to diagnose, clean, and do maintenance. He adjusted the belt wheel and put a new lightbulb in it. It is worth several hundred dollars and works like a charm! :giggle:
Now you can make all your camo clothing???LOL

Once in a while I find myself with a couple of extra minutes on my hands and a second hand store in close proximity. I ducked into a Goodwill recently and in the men's section (hanging with the leather belts), I came across a beautiful cobra rifle sling made by the late (and great) Arvo Ojala! For $5 I walked out the door with it! Keep those eyes peeled folks. Things like this are still out there. My last good score was a full Pacific/Hornady single stage reloading setup NIB for $20. The employees at the store had no idea what it even was!

View attachment 574407View attachment 574408

Yep. But you need to go to Goodwill-like stores that are not national brands like Goodwill Industries or Salvation Army. The reason? They have teams of people googling what the value of items are. When its high value, they put it on eBay or their own auction site and get big money for it. You need to hit the independents.

Things you can find that are deals: Filson, Barbour, Pendleton, Woolrich, etc.

Hit pay dirt with another online auction today.. this one sells overstock, new in the box items they get from Amazon and other retailers..

Picked up a new in the box Kemi-Moto UTV two gun rack for my Polaris Ranger.. retail is $109...

Grabbed mine for $14...

Got some other super low ball bids in on a few other outdoors related items.. we'll see how things pan out within the next few hours..

I was on a book store In town here , since closed sadly it is .

As i was samling amming the long ailes among the shelves , a book fell out of the shelf 2-3 meters ahead of me . It was just store owner and me in the store, and he was several meters away.

I picked up the book and it was one I definitely was leaving there . The bible of the gospels by Col Eex Applegate “ Kill or get Killed “ less than 10 dollars came back home for some studies .

Another place for those sort of bargains, at least here in Australia, is the re-cycle shop at the local tip, rubbish dump, whatever name you go by...people throw out some unbelievable stuff.

Roger

Yep, we have a good one here.n

I bought James Melon’s “African Hunter” in an SPCA store (the irony…) for R40 or iow $2.

IMG_2955.JPG

IMG_2956.JPG

Also bought a brand new German Zwilling magnetic bamboo knife easel at the same spot for R10. Everyone in the shop ( granted shoe size IQs) had no idea what it was, nor it’s worth, and thought it funny that coins could stick to it. Unfortunately i have it filled with Wűsthof and Victorinox knives, but one day I would like to have a set of Zwilling Professional Chefs knives adorn it.

IMG_2959.JPG

IMG_2605.JPG

IMG_2098.jpeg

$40 Kelty backpack that I bought at a thrift store here in the States. Worked just fine on a backpack hunt in the mountains of New Zealand.

Latest snag in the gun club clubhouse, free. Anyone read these? I haven't started yet.

Africa_books.jpg

Hit pay dirt with another online auction today.. this one sells overstock, new in the box items they get from Amazon and other retailers..

Picked up a new in the box Kemi-Moto UTV two gun rack for my Polaris Ranger.. retail is $109...

Grabbed mine for $14...

Got some other super low ball bids in on a few other outdoors related items.. we'll see how things pan out within the next few hours..

Racked a couple of more good deals before the auction ended…

A new in the box Mr Buddy Big Buddy heater.. $30…

And a new in the box Iclimb collapsible camp table.. $5…

Missed the deal if the night… a traeger Ranger portable pellet grill… new in the box… retail on that sucker is $400… I put a high bid of $51 in… a guy snaked it out from under me at the last second for $53…

Great thread, some guys seam to be lucky, others got some deals that make me jealous.

First 2 safari got all my shirts and pants at Sally Ann. Wife laughed, spending $30K + on a safari and buying $4 pants, shirts. Must say, we did leave all behind except ones we wore home both trips, last few hunts now I have my safari sets.

Best Walmart steal, .01 for smelly jelly fishing scent, normally $10 per bottle. Asked the lady she says its a clear-out, I went back and got all they had. 20 bottles=.20c.

Tomorrow heading to the re-store, need a gallon of white paint, they usually have gallons of contractor for $10.

MB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyX5472

Latest profile posts

EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on MarcoPani's profile.
Happy Birthday, from Grahamstown, South Africa.
I hope your day is great!
Cheers
Marius
EC HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on Ilkay Taskin's profile.
Happy Birthday from Grahamstown, South Africa! I hope you have a great day!
Cheers, Marius
idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]