Ethiopia Layover In-Transit Hotel

Shakka

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Member of
NRA SCI
Hunted
Namibia Zimbabwe
Hello Everyone, just wondering if any of you have spent the night in Ethiopia/Addis Airport at the in-transit hotel, which is called the Skylight Hotel."

I would love to hear your comments as I am considering staying there while flying Ethiopian Airlines from USA to Zambia

Thanks!!

I cannot help you with your question, but it would be wonderful to hear how your stay goes there and how difficult it was getting your gun through that airport, after your hunt is completed.

It won’t be the most luxurious place you’ve ever stayed… but it’s clean and comfortable enough.. and substantially better than trying to get any kind of real rest in the actual airport in Addis (not a wonderful airport by any stretch)..

Food and coffee at the hotel are pretty decent… price wise it’s a very reasonable rate for what you get and the convenience of being at the airport…

Although if your layover is long enough to warrant going into Addis there are some incredible restaurants and a couple of nice hotels that are outrageously inexpensive and a couple of cultural things worth checking out are pretty easy to get to as well…

FWIW the direct flight from Dulles/DC to Addis on the 787 Dreamliner is an excellent route… I did that flight 4+ times a year, every year, for about 5 years… always very good service.. and for whatever reason, very reliable… I probably did 23-25 of those flights (50 total counting both directions) and I can only remember being delayed once (which was a complete and total disaster resulting in a 2 hour layover turning into a 26 hour layover in Addis… but all things considered.. a 1:50 ratio really isn’t that bad…)…

Last edited:
I echo MDWest's experience. We stayed coming and going in May this year. It was worth the expense over the included hotel stay in the ticket fare to NOT leave the airport. Guns in that airport were a touch tricky, but easily sorted out. If i had to do that route again, I'd opt to stay at Skylight again.

Thanks so much for the reply's fellas!!!
I am very happy to hear that you both had a good experience. I am borrowing my PHs rifle so I don't have to worry about a firearm

When you exited the plane was the Skylight Hotel difficult to find?

Not at all. Quite simple. Clear customs, go up the stairs, take a right and walk diagnonally through duty free to the corner of the airport to an escalator down to the lobby. It’s very well marked.

Not at all. Quite simple. Clear customs, go up the stairs, take a right and walk diagnonally through duty free to the corner of the airport to an escalator down to the lobby. It’s very well marked.
Awesome Brandon and thank you!! So then I will never leave the building correct?

No, sir. not until you get on the plane the next morning.
Ok Brandon, I have one more for you;)

Did you collect your checked-in luggage at Addis and bring it to the Skylight with you, or was it collected at your final destination?

Because if your luggage was checked straight to the final destination, I had better bring things for my night in Addis in my carry-on.

I'm not bringing a rifle

No, sir. Our luggage was checked straight through. Just brought a small dop kit and change of clothes on the plain in my carryon for the overnight on each end. I will say, if you're traveling with another person that isn't your significant other, you can see directly through the glass shower wall right into he shower from the bedroom. Just a word of warning!

When are you headed out and where in NY are you? I'm not far from the boarder and find myself there frequently for work.

No, sir. Our luggage was checked straight through. Just brought a small dop kit and change of clothes on the plain in my carryon for the overnight on each end. I will say, if you're traveling with another person that isn't your significant other, you can see directly through the glass shower wall right into he shower from the bedroom. Just a word of warning!

When are you headed out and where in NY are you? I'm not far from the boarder and find myself there frequently for work.
Thank you again, my friend! Even better since I won't have to wait for my suitcase after the long flight, and I will follow your advice about bringing things for the overnights.

Actually, I am leaving this Saturday night for Zambia for Buffalo and Crocc!

You are up in Shelton I see, I am only an hour I see. We should meet up

Let's shoot for that when you get back. Safe travels and best of luck!

Brandon...I took this picture for you so that you will never forget it!

PS your description and comments were SPOT ON! I found it in 5 minutes and it was a great hotel and food as well

Thank you brother!

IMG_9402.jpeg

Haha! Yup! Glad you got there alright. Decent English style breakfast and coffee place back towards the staircase you came up for the concourse in the morning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hunt4fun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

idjeffp wrote on Jon R15's profile.
Hi Jon,
I saw your post for the .500 NE cases. Are these all brass or are they nickel plated? Hard for me to tell... sorry.
Thanks,
Jeff [redacted]
Boise, ID
[redacted]
African Scenic Safaris is a Sustainable Tour Operator based in Moshi, Tanzania. Established in 2009 as a family business, the company is owned and operated entirely by locals who share the same passion for showing people the amazing country of Tanzania and providing a fantastic personalized service.
FDP wrote on dailordasailor's profile.
1200 for the 375 barrel and accessories?