Elmer Keith Handgun Hunter & Firearm Enthusiast

Did anyone ever run down a gun list? I know he kept an indepth book. I have seen a single picture of it but that is all. So far no luck tracking it down. I ended up with a few of his not so well known guns from the auction and would love to learn more. Probably pretty likely I have the first .44 mag rifle that was ever made... Keith converted or had converted an 1892 that happened to come home with me along with 3 other things of his that I thought I would enjoy. Could not afford the better known stuff though I did bid on the No 5 the few times it has come up as well as Corbetts rifle. Did not get close on those...

As a fairly new 357 magnum nut who is looking to get into bullet casting, I have been reading all the Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, Bill Jordan, and other old timers material I can get my hands on.
They really knew their stuff.

I just bought one of the special edition sw model 29 made in honor of Elmer Keith that only took 50 years to get one .I almost got two of them same guy that died had two of them .Elmer Keith also helped Bill Ruger develop the ruger 1 and the Ruger 77 and the Ruger blackhawk .He helped Winchester develop the model 70 too.I still have tl get some work on my Elmer Keith endfield p17 in 333 okh .The recoil pad rotted with age
And the scope mount will notbwork with almost amy scope made .The distance between the rings is too great .I am glad i snagged that model 29 EK model finally

"Elmer Keith was the John Browning of our times with all his inventions" .

Old Elmer did good for the times and level of education he had, rancher and guide etc., but I dont think one can logically compare him to John Browning who was an absolute firearms genius. Elmer didnt actually invent any firearms as far as I know.
@sestoppelman: I certainly like what I’ve read about Keith and Jack O’Conner and especially their hunting stories/tales. I would need more specifics on Keith’s “inventions” to compare him to John Browning…Browning has always seemed to be in a class by himself (his Military weapon inventions alone rank him #1) but I’m Not as well versed in firearms as others might be on this forum so maybe he wasn’t the Firearms “genius” that I’ve regarded him to be??

@sestoppelman: I certainly like what I’ve read about Keith and Jack O’Conner and especially their hunting stories/tales. I would need more specifics on Keith’s “inventions” to compare him to John Browning…Browning has always seemed to be in a class by himself (his Military weapon inventions alone rank him #1) but I’m Not as well versed in firearms as others might be on this forum so maybe he wasn’t the Firearms “genius” that I’ve regarded him to be??
I was quoting someone else who seemed to be overly enamored of Keiths inventions genius.

Most of the creations say OKH O’Neil, Keith Hopkins . They mixed together a lot of what others now take for granted .

Most of the creations say OKH O’Neil, Keith Hopkins . They mixed together a lot of what others now take for granted .
My point being that in no way is Keith comparable to Browning where firearms design is concerned. Not even in the same universe, despite one member who seems to worship the ground he tread.

My point being that in no way is Keith comparable to Browning where firearms design is concerned. Not even in the same universe, despite one member who seems to worship the ground he tread.
Yes he took bits and pieces of many different parts and put them back together , with a twist .
Like the .280 of his
.280 Ross bullet in .300 HH case 180 grain , little bit more stability and range to buck the wind .

And .33s similar there also ,snd many other.

What the factories should have though up themself

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Taging653

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Brian wrote on Skshyk's profile.
Thank for the laughing post! You have a keen sense of humour. I am usually able to just ignore those geniuses but this time I could not get past it. chuckle, Brian
Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]