Elk at 688 yards with a 243

This person may be a good shot but he is a horrible hunter. First, It isn't that hard to get closer than 600 yards to any animal. First shooting something that big with a .243 is not ethical at any yardage. The bullet isn't designed for such a tough animal. And, as others have said the chances of wounding it are above 90%. And following up an animal like an elk after a shot with such a small bullet is almost a guarantee for failure. Decide if you want to be a good shooter or an ethical hunter. They aren't the same.

And having been a guide for elk it sickens me to have to try and find an animal after a bad shot. No guide likes it.

One more thing, this is what gives hunters a bad rap.

Some of it is about opportunities or the lack of.

I have witnessed not hear say people shoot deer is the ass with a shotgun while it was running at a distance of 15 yards on multiple occasions. Growing up running dogs deer did not stand still. I have witnessed people completely missing deer at 50 yards with open sights and scoped rifles. Have also witnessed gut shot animals at that range too. Inside of 100 yards is not a guarantee if buck fever sets in on some people. My line on thinking is if you are not confident, don't pull the trigger no matter the distance. A good shooter will know their limitations and most of the time it is not the distance, it is the conditions. That might be wind, lighting, position they are afforded, ect. The goal is a fast painless death. Like anything else you do it enough, something will go wrong. No matter what, odds are odds.

It is never to late to learn unless you are in the ground. Learning new things will keep you young!

As long as the house was made out of magnifying glass, I would skip the basement, hahaha...
True about the conditions as a major limiting factor when shooting at longer distances.

Should have popped it after the OP.

I'm not gonna assume genders just because it said "she" lol, especially if "she" is hunting big game with a .243 hahaha.
Well, if it was a Creedmoor......? Just saying. LOL

You're an accomplished long range marksman. I guess the hunter in the video is too or maybe she just got lucky? .

The shooter is Kassandra Wojcik…. She is indeed an extremely accomplished long range shooter.. she and her husband Caylen own Modern Day Sniper (MDS) a podcast about long range shooting… she’s behind most of the “technology” with their shooting as I understand it…

The shooter is Kassandra Wojcik…. She is indeed an extremely accomplished long range shooter.. she and her husband Caylen own Modern Day Sniper (MDS) a podcast about long range shooting… she’s behind most of the “technology” with their shooting as I understand it…
That's great to hear. Maybe I missed it in the video, but why wasn't she identified as such with a "Don't try this on your hunt" disclaimer. Maybe it was explained earlier in the video that we didn't view here?

It’s hard for me to understand taking a shot like that because I have never done it. I would be just as well off at that range with a tangent sight on a SKS as I would be her rifle. I’m sure she was confident in her shot but I don’t like shooting game animals at long range just for the heck of it. I bet she could have got closer.
Carlos Hathcock could guarantee a kill shot on a man at 700 yards. I know there are people who very capable and skilled, but everyone knows that things can go wrong. I would have tried (out of necessity, for me) to get closer.
As @Inline6 said, some people are terrible shots at any range and everyone can use more practice.

A lot these long range shots have to deal with where you hunt for elk out west.

I have hunted areas where you either have a 400+ yard shot or a 10 yard shot, your choice. The woods are so thick that most hunters prefer the longer cross canyon shots where they can scan a large amount of woods rather than trying to tiptoe through the brush only hearing the animals as they are running away.

I was muzzle loader deer hunting one year and was up on a hill where my partner could watch me from camp. When I got back he asked me why I hadn't shot a buck that was just 20 or 30 yards below me. He said that he had a clear shot at 500 yards. I just told him that I couldn't see 10 yards much less 20-30 yards where the deer was.

I shoot steel at longish range pretty regularly. Time of flight would be a major consideration on a game animal at this range. I practice to be ready for longer cross canyon shots on Coues deer where closing the distance is simply not possible. Although I am quite confident that I could make the shot in the video, personally I would not take it, particularly with a .243. There are just too many variables at play, and a wounded elk is a bugger to deal with.

That's great to hear. Maybe I missed it in the video, but why wasn't she identified as such with a "Don't try this on your hunt" disclaimer. Maybe it was explained earlier in the video that we didn't view here?
Dont get me wrong.. while I acknowledge she is an extremely accomplished shooter.. I still think this was a shot that shouldnt have been taken..

make a mistake on a gong at 1000 meters.. no big deal.. learn from the mistake, and then make another attempt... make a mistake on an animal at distance with an under powered cartridge.. the animal suffers for your mistake.. and its unlikely youre going to get to make the second shot before he is gone..

They should stick to “sniping” . She is an accomplished shooter, but not what I would call a hunter.

That explains the OP - videos like this help “sell rifles & scopes” but don’t seem to impress Hunters. What is rarely shown in any of these long range videos is: wounded animals, missed shots, and other “ugly facts”. Just like in a Hollywood movie - only a carefully crafted story is told.

MDWEST

Thank you for educating as to who and why the people in the video. Certainly not something I would approve of would approve of. Definitely none of my business.

MDWEST

Thank you for educating as to who and why the people in the video. Certainly not something I would approve of would approve of.
Completely agree..

Great shot..

But not one I would make (especially with a .243.. on something like an elk....)... or that I would ever encourage anyone else to make.. capable shooter or not..

Out of shape lazy people that can't so much as walk across the street much less prepare themselves for a long distance stalk at high altitude have to find a way to kill stuff, I guess? The answer big stupid looking scopes on top of "precision" rifles. Unethical at best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViolaBorth

Latest profile posts

Longfeather1 wrote on Cmwkwarrwn's profile.
Hello Clark
Thanks for the interest in my rifle. If you want to discuss it further you can email me direct at [redacted] or call my cell number [redacted].
Look forward to talking with you.
Regards,
Jack Kramer
quacker attacker wrote on JMV375's profile.
Hello, My wife and I hunted with Marius 2 years ago. He fit us into his schedule after a different outfitter "bailed" on us. He was always very good with communications and although we didn't end up meeting him personally, he called us multiple times during our hunt to make sure things were going well. We were very happy with him.
TERMINATOR wrote on Cuthberto's profile.
Reach out to the guys at Epic Outdoors.

They will steer you right for landowner tags and outfitters that have them.

I have held a membership with them for years and they are an invaluable resource.

Way better that asking random people on the internet...WAY better

Raskolnikov743 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
Skydiver386,

Did you ever find your 30-06 CZ550? I own a fairly solid conditioned one, if you wanted to talk.

[redacted]